Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Germany
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
shadd4d
Servus,

I guess I'll touch on the chapter for Germany. My comments on it are a bit colored, due to the fact that I own and have read the original Germany Sourcebook in German and English, and have the new Germany sourebook and Shockwaves (mentioned in the oh so shameless plug in the Game Information Chapter).

I like the chapter for multiple reasons. It not only updates things from the Germany sourcebook, but it gives some real information about what is going on. Aside from the drastic changes, the breakup of Germany into linguistic groups is really believable, especially if someone has been here. It's also a real outlay for those who haven't had the chance to see what the Germans have really come up with, such as material for Pomorya. In short, it's a good summary of what is going on and also what it could be like. That the politicians are roughly powerless yet keeping an eye on politics of the member states is nothing new. The federal government keeps a close eye on the state (Baden-Wuerrtemburg) where I'm living, mostly due to economic reasons. So you can see why it would pull away. The dialectic, regional groups are also given some spotlight. The situation in Karlsruhe and the escape of that one nationalist is really believable, actually. It's not a surprise when you hear that their "national" song has the chorus of the swabian must go, the swabian must go (basically the guys in Stuttgart and Wuerttemburg).

That said, Europe is one of those places that you really need to visit to get a feel for. I did miss things such as unions, and also the real problem with Germany forced to play the role of melting pot. Europe has never been one, but Germany has increasingly had to be one, which I don't expect will change yet I didn't really see that much in the chapter. Even the introduction of the NEEC seems similar to feelings toward the present EU.

I mentioned what I own and have read concerning Germany in Shadowrun. Those books color my view of the chapter, in that it is very much a small summary, which is disappointing, especially compared to the new Germany sourcebook. I personally will use both Germany Sourcebooks and refer my players to SoE. I'm disappointed, yet for others, this chapter is gold. The overt and less than overt plot hooks are quite usable, moreso than the Germany sourcebook as it's more or less your standard location book. That is where the Germany chapter wins out over the sourcebooks by providing ideas and links to Germany and runs in Germany, and that's why it is a great chapter for use in Shadowrun and your campaigns. This is probably the mindset of SoE and the Shadows of series, and I think it works.

Gruß

Don
Ancient History
I like Germany too. Berlin-the-Corporate-Enclave-With-A-Pocket-of-Anarchists-Left actually makes sense. Pomoyra was a decent touch. Pity they didn't do more to elucidate the absence of the Troll King of the Black Forest.
Paul
So far I am liking Germany the least out of what I have read so far, for a number of reasons.

Its a very hard read so far. I don't feel its particularly well organized. I keep having to stop, put the book down, and then pick it back up again after a half hour or so. It doesn't seem to flow well, which is a pretty stark contrast to the first few chapters, which I enjoyed immensely.

Berlin: For some reason I can't put my finger on, something about how this happened bothers me. I don't know yet what it is, so as soon as I figure it out I'll post some more on it.

The Eugenics project that keeps getting mentioned intrigues me. Is this a new idea specifically for SoE or is it from one of the german language books? I know I don't recall seeing it in the English Germany.

I like the concept of the Troll wars. I also really like the idea of the SUNs system in Hamburg.

I'll admit I wanted more on Pomorya.

Is it just me or is nobody making any cred off of the Orichalum deposits that showed up in the sixth world?

Cloud City however holds a special place in my to use plot hooks section of my Evil GM notebook.
TW
QUOTE (shadd4d)
I guess I'll touch on the chapter for Germany. My comments on it are a bit colored, due to the fact that I own and have read the original Germany Sourcebook in German and English, and have the new Germany sourebook and Shockwaves (mentioned in the oh so shameless plug in the Game Information Chapter).

That shameless plug actually wasn't in my final draft, but was added during editing.
At the time of writing SoE, Shockwaves was in development/writing stages, too, so the hints dropped throughout the book were the only 'plugs' we had in mind in the first place.
TW
QUOTE (Paul)
Its a very hard read so far. I don't feel its particularly well organized. I keep having to stop, put the book down, and then pick it back up again after a half hour or so. It doesn't seem to flow well, which is a pretty stark contrast to the first few chapters, which I enjoyed immensely.

Berlin: For some reason I can't put my finger on, something about how this happened bothers me. I don't know yet what it is, so as soon as I figure it out I'll post some more on it.

The Eugenics project that keeps getting mentioned intrigues me. Is this a new idea specifically for SoE or is it from one of the german language books? I know I don't recall seeing it in the English Germany.

I like the concept of the Troll wars. I also really like the idea of the SUNs system in Hamburg.

I'll admit I wanted more on Pomorya.

Is it just me or is nobody making any cred off of the Orichalum deposits that showed up in the sixth world?

Cloud City however holds a special place in my to use plot hooks section of my Evil GM notebook.

The problem I had to deal with were more than 600 pages of german-only material published in the various sourcebooks (not including the various german-only novels). There was simply too much stuff available, especially with DidS2 being the most recent 'update' on the AGS. Of that book alone I somhow had to filter the information contained in that book and cramp the best parts into 11000 words. Then there were my own ideas which I wanted to get into the draft, too, as well as the european concepts and cross country plots. Plus, Shockwaves.

It's a hard read, I agree, since there's so much information on even the smallest parts of the country. But then again, reading other comments on the chapter, that's exacty what other people like about the chapter smile.gif

As for the Eugenics project, this was introduced by the original authors of the first Germany sourcebook.
RangerJoe
Happy Birthday Mad King Ludwig, last of the great entertaining kings of Bavaria.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012