Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic initiation question....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ninj
Hi. How long timewise does an initiation take?? minutes, hours, days??

The only reference I found for this was for the meditation ordeal which mentioned taking initiation grade * 4 days for each test in MITS.

The reason I ask this is the GM in the game I am running tends to give large Karma awards (30-50 Karma at a time) in his online game, so the next downtime I have a chance to increase 2 or more initiation grades.

How do you guys handle this situation??
Ol' Scratch
I usually assume it lasts (target grade) hours for standard initiations, but I have exactly nothing to back that up with. Most ordeals will alter that time, particularly the Ascetisim, Astral Quest, Familiar, Meditation, and Thesis ordeals. Ordeals like Geas won't have any impact on it, nor will ones like Deed since they have already occurred.

But unless you only have a weekend or so of downtime and have to micromanage every second of it, it's usually a non-issue in many games.
mfb
*shrug* it takes as long as it takes. mine usually take a few hours of meditation in a quiet spot, with the presence of at least some of the other members of my group.
Zazen
I like to say it takes a couple of days, but there's no rule. Your GM might be satisfied if you said you achieved deep new levels of magical understanding while sitting on the can.
Backgammon
If there's no ordeal, I guess it can just come as an epiphany. You simply "get it" more than you used to.
Kagetenshi
It really varies and is, IMO intentionally, left vague. Like an astral quest, it can take getting slapped in the face by a trout (<5 seconds) or a solid month of meditation and carrying large boulders up large hills and back down again.

~J
Odin
hell if your a shaman it might even involve a week long bender lol ,or if you're a gator shaman it might involve a marathon visit to an all you can eat 24 hour buffet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012