Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Czech Republic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RangerJoe
I just want to offer kudos to the SoE/Czech Republic team for their treatment of the CR, and particularly of Prague.

What I was particularly glad to see was the mention of the vibrant (and intensely magical) Jewish community in Prague and mention of the golem.

Some historical (eh, history, legend, same diff) details that might help fill in the mystery of the encounter described on p. 77:

Prague has been a major Jewish center since at least the middle ages. In the old quarter is Prague's main synagogue, which serves (served) as the center for teaching and religious life since those times. The most famous chief rabbi ever to serve at Prague's synagogue was named Judah Loew (whose 'nom de guerre' was 'the Maharal'-- the Lion).

At some point (sources vary, but most point to the late 16th century) the Jewish quarter came under attack by a mob incensed by the classic "blood libel." According to legend, Loew created the golem from river clay, using potent kabbalistic magic. The creature was brought to life by inscribing the hebrew word "emet" on its forehead, meaning "truth" (how better to fight the lie of the blood libel, neh?) Using the immense strength of the golem, the community was saved. Of course, the golem had acquired quite a following in the community, who found his simple demeanor, great strength, and noble service endearing. Some reports suggest they called him "Yosse" or "Yossele." (_____-ele is how the Yiddish dimunitive is formed)

When the danger had passed, Loew realized that the dangerous powers latent in the golem should not be left around to be used idly. Still, fearing a return of danger to the community, he could not in good faith destroy the golem. Instead, Loew summoned the golem to the attic of the old synagogue and had him lay on the floor. Loew then erased the aleph (first letter of the hebrew alphabet, and here, the "eh" sound in 'emet') leaving the word "met" behind (death). With the clay smoothed, the golem slept.

And so there the golem waits. The attic has been long sealed, and few still think seriously about the legend of the golem. If the legend is true, though, he is still waiting there, in suspended animation, waiting for a time when the Jews of Prague will again need his help. If the need ever arises, it is said that a descendent of Judah Loew could breach the attic and inscribe the aleph back on the golem, waking it from its slumber.

You want to know the creepy thing about all this? I'm a descendent of Rabbi Loew's and the Joe in RangerJoe-- yep, it's Joseph, "Yosef," or when I was wee, "Yossele."

So, in response to the SoE mystery, who unleashed the golem? A descendent of Loew, not one of the dragons (unless.... oy). Shedim running amok in the Jewish quarter certainly would count as a threat requiring serious magical back up.

So, again, mad props to the SoE/CR team. Yous done well.

KosherPickle
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
What I was particularly glad to see was the mention of the vibrant (and intensely magical) Jewish community in Prague and mention of the golem.

I was randomly flipping through Dot6W this evening, and ran across a condensed version of this story in Schwartzkopf's section. I swear, Shadows of Europe is going to drive me to go back through all the Fanpro releases, gathering information and making connections.
Synner
QUOTE (KosherPickle)
QUOTE (RangerJoe @ Jul 29 2004, 10:59 PM)

I was randomly flipping through Dot6W this evening, and ran across a condensed version of this story in Schwartzkopf's section. I swear, Shadows of Europe is going to drive me to go back through all the Fanpro releases, gathering information and making connections.

That's the way we planned it. I really suggest looking through all the Euro-dragons in DotSW (particularly Lofwyr since several plots therein are now playing out) but some of the stories go all the way back to the original Threats (French RCC and the Lodge), London (several twists on what was in that) and Prime Runners (Kephalos, Muller/Marseille Scandals/Spinrad).
Prospero
Really? Wow - the other ones I got, but Prime Runners? Guess it's been too long since I looked through my copy. Have to dig it out again and dig this stuff up. Cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012