Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contacts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Siege
Skimming the SC guide,

Players get 2 1st level contacts.

NPC contacts get 1 1st, 1 2nd and 1 3rd contact for a total of three, one at each level.

NPC Fixer/Johnsons get 2 1st, 2 2nd, 2 3rd contacts for a total of six, two at each level.

Instead of the 2 1st level contacts in the BB, what if each player got 6 contact points:
1 + 2 + 3 = 6

To distribute as the player sees fit in any particular combination?

So a player could have six 1st level contacts, 3 2nd level contacts or 2 3rd level contacts or any combination thereof.

Opinions? Obvious flaws? Flamethrowers? grinbig.gif

-Siege
Odin
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
spitfire gecko
We'll still be stuck in the Stone Age if everyone subscribed to that doctrine.
Siege
Snicker - that still doesn't tell me if it's a stupid idea or not. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Ol' Scratch
I like using Charisma. Everyone gets Charisma points to purchase their contacts. Level 1 is 1 point, level 2 is 2 points, and level 3 is 4 points. If the contact is of a race other than the character's, the cost goes up a single point. Purchasing more contacts beyond that are 5,000 nuyen, 10,000 nuyen, and 25,000 nuyen respectively, and there's no added cost for extraracial contacts purchased that way. Contacts purchased with your Charisma at character creation tend to be more helpful and useful, too, since they're genuine friends and associates as opposed to ones you had to "buy" off one way or another.

'Course I also treat Level 3's like they function by the rules (not much different than a Level 2 beyond an extra Etiquette die and +1 to resist squeeling on you) rather than as the way they're described (a friend for life who'd do anything for you). A genuine friend for life is reserved as a five-point edge that augments a Level 3 contact you already possess.
Zeel De Mort
Both sets of variations sound good. I'd probably go with Dr Funk's ones myself. I definately think the level 3 contact is wickedly overpriced as it stands.
Large Mike
Overpriced? You've never had a real and for true absolute friend. I think they're *underpriced*, frankly.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (spitfire gecko @ Jul 30 2004, 10:06 PM)
We'll still be stuck in the Stone Age if everyone subscribed to that doctrine.

I don't know about you, but I consider being eaten by random beasties to be something broke.

And Large Mike, I completely agree but that's only the case with some GM fiating. By strict rules, they're overpriced somethin' fierce.

~J
spitfire gecko
Real men use their trusty rusty axes to hack up any random beasties who dare to challenge them. Assault rifles and cyberware are for pansies.
Siege
Yeah, yeah - you charge a grizzly with an axe.

I'll watch.

-Siege
spitfire gecko
Sure, as long as I get to be an adept.
TheScamp
I was unaware that RPG rules affected the survival of the species.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Large Mike)
Overpriced? You've never had a real and for true absolute friend. I think they're *underpriced*, frankly.

Unfortunately the rules regarding them don't make them "real and for true absolute friends." The only real benefit are somewhat better FoFs.
spitfire gecko
I was unaware that RPG rules affected the survival of the species.

They're just a bonus...the species was already surviving pretty well to begin with. Maybe not rising to the top of the food chain, but still getting by.
TheScamp
Unfortunately the rules regarding them don't make them "real and for true absolute friends."

But do the rules even try to cover the whole "I will drop absolutely everything to help you out" factor that's supposed to define the level 3? I mean, the fact that they're your best friend doesn't really mean that they'll be able to find that PAC any better.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (TheScamp)
Unfortunately the rules regarding them don't make them "real and for true absolute friends."

But do the rules even try to cover the whole "I will drop absolutely everything to help you out" factor that's supposed to define the level 3? I mean, the fact that they're your best friend doesn't really mean that they'll be able to find that PAC any better.

SR3 p. 256, Level 3 Contacts: "A runner receives 2 extra dice for Etiquette Tests made to acquire information from his or her Level 3 contacts. In addition, the gamemaster may make an Opposed Willpower (6) Test for the contact to determine if the contact can successfully refuse to answer questions about the runner."

Now compare this to a level 2.

SR3 p. 256, Level 2 Contacts: "A runner receives 1 extra die for any Etiquette Tests made to acquire information from his or her Level 2 contacts. In addition, the gamemaster may make an Opposed Willpower (5) Test for the contact to determine if the contact can successfully refuse to answer questions about the runner."

In other words they only get a mildly higher TN to resist ratting you out (some "absolute truest best friend for life") and a single die over a Level 2 contact. That's it beyond the Friend-of-a-Friend rules.

So to answer your question: Yes, the rules do cover that. And they won't drop absolutely everything to help you out. Not by a long shot.
TheScamp
Yes, but those rules don't really reflect, in my view, any particular levels of trust, or willingness to help out in a given situation. They really only discuss dissemination of information. Things like whether they'll even help you out if you show up on their doorstep with holes in you aren't exactly covered.
Ol' Scratch
Hmm. I'd say that the Etiquette dice and tests are, in fact, used to determine a contact's willingness to help, and the Willpower Test determines their level of trust (ie, not betraying you). If they would do anything for you, there would be no rolls required for any of those things listed above.

Note also that the Etiquette dice are only for coaxing information out of the contact. It's not used for the contact to find equipment for you or even hunt down information for you -- it's to get them to tell you what they already know.
Glav
I'd rather see more options to get, rather than changing how to get them. Whatever happened to followers? That's what I want to know. I want to roll 1D6 and find out how many people kiss the freaking ground I walk on, like in the 'ol days. Aaah, being able to call on 10D6 gangers to come help me at any one time...that was the best.
Dark father
Seriously, between a level 1 and level 2 contact in my games, there is a real difference. A level 1 contact doesn't even know you and is not really interrested to do any concession for you. Those are good for legwork and for getting unusual stuff. With a level 2, you have a privileged link with the contact. Yes in the book it states that there's a +1 dice to etiquette rolls and the willpower roll to resist answering a question. But in my opinion those aren't enough for the price you pay. For example, I give a -1 or -2 for level 2 reduction to the TN for any social roll made with the contact, except for etiquette rolls. For example, If you're trying to fence something with your level 2 fixer, he might be less ruthless in his negociation even if the result isn't to his advantage, so I give a bonus to the roll for the runner. In general, the contact in this case says "well... since it's you, I can make a deal". Just make sure this won't be abused and you'll surely bring more impact for level 2 or 3 contacts.
TheScamp
I'd say that the Etiquette dice and tests are, in fact, used to determine a contact's willingness to help...

Personally, i think it encompasses far more than that. It's about knowing what questions to ask that will give you the most uesful information, making sure that you're jogging the person's memory appropriately, etc. If you go up to your buddy and ask them, "Tell me what you know abou <foo>," their likely response is, "Um, what are you looking for, exactly."

Such tests are also going to be at lower target numbers than for, say a level 1 contact.

...and the Willpower Test determines their level of trust (ie, not betraying you). If they would do anything for you, there would be no rolls required for any of those things listed above.

Their willingness to betray you would indicate your level of trust towards them. But anyways, the bit about the willpower test is written in such a way, that it appears to me it's for use if the person is under duress of some sort. A simple "Hey, you seen this dude" type of question doesn't apply, in my opinion.
Link
Whatever happened to followers?

Mix your editions. If there's something from an earlier version that I miss I'll use it. Means my old books aren't redundant.

Under the [Charisma or 6] point systems mentioned above Followers would cost 3 (or 200K).
The White Dwarf
On contact levels...

Level 1 is a guy you know. Like some guy you met at work, who knows your name, but you never hung out. You could call him and he wouldnt hang up cause he does in fact know you, but its not like hes beholden to help you. Thats where nuyen comes in.

Level 2 is a friend. Like the guy you met and work and DID hang out with. You can call him up and expect a small favor like a ride over to Bob's cause your car is broke. And if he knows something he'll prolly tell unless its got some reason not to (like itll betray his other friend or something). And if you call on him a lot or ask something that takes a bit of effort, you drop some cash to pay for his time, same as a job pays you for your time.

Level 3 is the guy whos got your back. Like the guy you met in 1st grade and wound up in the army together and saved each other's hoops for 5 years and now youre business associates. These are the guys that'll say "sure, I can take my last sick day off of work to drive you an hour into the city and help you move apartments and then pick up the dinner tab when we eat and then drive you home" without thinking. If he knows, he talks, just dont let it get around that he told ya.

Stat wise, the extra dice and descriptive mentality are what counts. Level 1's will consider whether they should talk before even rolling dice. Level 3's just roll, with bonuses at that. And the willpower 5 vs 6 ... well remember 5s are twice as likley as 6's on a 6 sider, its more of a change than it seems.

Roleplaying is the best way to get more contacts. Players knowing which interactions to play up, then continuing to use them, is where its at. Level 3's are worth it if you can spare the resources to pick one up, but theyre rare and I like that theyre rare in the game too. We've seen 'em come up from time to time, and usually used to great effect. But its not unusal for a group of characters to not have 1 among them.
Siege
As discussed on another thread, the point cost, description and mechanical benefit of levl 2 and 3 contacts just don't compare.

A number of people have created their own home-brew of contact rules - I've tossed up three or four hypotheticals on Dumpshock. Of course, I've yet to find one that satisfied my urge to tinker, but it gives me something to do. grinbig.gif

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012