Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirits Pt3
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shockwave_IIc
Ok's Where does it say (if anywhere) that Air elementals, Spirits of the sky and Slyphs can fly?

If so and you channeled one, could you then fly?

Also what type of actions is it to manifest in "Metahuman Form" (as per the free spirit power) because the bit at the top say's Exclusive Complex, text say's Simple Complex. Standard Manifesting is Complex (Exclusive??), but "Animal Form" in both the bit at the top and the text say's it's Exclusive Simple.
[EDIT]Actually Just noted that Standard Manifesting is a simple action. So im guessing that using "metahuman form" is also a simple action[/EDIT]

Fluff note: If a spirit was in Metahuman Form (Human) but because it was a Great Form it had +1 reach, would there be anything wrong in saying the effect was from the form "weilding" a pair of extendable batons?? And thus would it be a huge stretch to give the spirit the dual cyber weapon advantage (+1/2 power) to use with it's Unarmed/ Martial arts attack??
Bigity
I don't know if it's a listed Power for any spirit, but manifested spirits can move as they see fit right? Channeling a spirit wouldn't let your character fly though, because he's still meat.

Fluff: It could probably look like whatever, depending on the form the spirit took when summoned, but the rules and numbers would stay the same. Unless you mean something like an ally spirit.
Ol' Scratch
As far as I know, they never really talk about it in 3rd Edition outside of Ally Spirits. I assume all spirits have the Three-Dimensional Movement power, and yes, I do allow magicians to use that power if they channel one.

Note that when using Three-Dimensional Movement you're limited to your normal walking speed, so it's actually slower than running or even using a spell like Levitation. I tend to give spirits oriented around flying or the air a running multiplier equal to half their Force (rounded up), though, but that's just me.
RedmondLarry
Shockwave IIc, you're confusing the term manifest (SR3.173 -- to become visible on the physical plane as a ghostly form) with materialize (SR3.264 -- to take on a physical form on the physical plane).

All manifested spirits can appear to be flying and to move through walls, as much as their astral form is free to move around in astral spalce in 3 dimensions.

I make the following interpretions of the rules: The only ones that can fly are Materialized spirits of the sky and air elementals. Ally Spirits, or Free Spirits that were formerly Ally Spirits, are the only ones that can 'walk on air' (3D movement).
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (OurTeam @ Aug 4 2004, 08:17 PM)
Shockwave IIc, you're confusing the term manifest (SR3.173 -- to become visible on the astral plane as a ghostly form) with materialize (SR3.264 -- to take on a physical form on the physical plane).

Highly likely.

All manifested spirits can appear to be flying and to move through walls, as much as their astral form is free to move around in astral spalce in 3 dimensions.

I make the following interpretions of the rules: The only ones that can fly are Materialized spirits of the sky and air elementals. Ally Spirits, or Free Spirits that were formerly Ally Spirits, are the only ones that can 'walk on air' (3D movement).

Would you (IYO) Include Slyphs (Spirit of the Elements) in that list?

Also from that list, say a spirit went free, could it still fly? Or would it strangely lose that ability? What if it Materialized in a metahuman form could it fly then?
RedmondLarry
Sorry, haven't studied the rules for Slyphs.

If an Air Elemental went free, I would certainly say that it could fly in its materialized form.

The only spirits I know that can routinely materialize in the form of a metahuman are Ally spirits. Ally spirits do not get any powers due to where they came from (e.g. nature spirit or elemental) so I believe they lose the power to fly, but they do get the power of 3D movement.
mfb
sylphs are basically air elementals. same stat mods, as i recall, and same powers.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (OurTeam @ Aug 5 2004, 07:11 AM)
The only spirits I know that can routinely materialize in the form of a metahuman are Ally spirits.

Free Spirits can get the power to Materialise in Metahuman (or animal) form, as one of the d3 powers they get when they go free or from when they go up in force.

Canon Example (maybe not): Buttercup, assuming of cause she a free spirit as opposed to a free ally.

Slyphs, would be closer to Elemental stats, with Nature Spirits powers. (ie conceal confusion, guard, engulf, magical guard plus some others)
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (OurTeam)
The only spirits I know that can routinely materialize in the form of a metahuman are Ally spirits. Ally spirits do not get any powers due to where they came from (e.g. nature spirit or elemental) so I believe they lose the power to fly, but they do get the power of 3D movement.

Ally Spirits, Ancestor Spirits, Loa Spirits, Spirits of Man (particularly Rural Spirits, albeit small metahumans), and, of course, an entire category of free spirits known as Animus/Anima. Nevermind the "Human Form" free spirit power (MitS p. 118), either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012