Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: creating an official prime runner for Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Vanguard
Hi first off I'm a long time fan of Shadowrun, but never got to play the RPG myself but I'm more of collector then a player. But I want to make a official Prime Runer character, can anyone here help me out?,
Synner
What exactly do you mean by an "official Prime Runner character"?
shadd4d
There's an old book for 1st ed called Prime Runners. It had some sort of pool thing, which is referenced in Bug City with tiered threat ratings. The newer system is the inferior to superhuman system in both companions.

Don
Fygg Nuuton
if by official you mean something printed in a source book, i doubt it. i don't think fanpro accepts submissions of characters
shadd4d
The closest thing is a small contest at fanpro.de, where they are accepting character backgrounds, to my knowledge.

Don
Backgammon
You're the same guy that asked about writing for fiction for Shadowrun... Out of curiosity, what is your primary language?
Synner
Just to note that misspelling "runner" does not bode well. wink.gif
The Vanguard
Well English, but that's not the point. My point is that I want to create an official Elite Shadowrun character like Captain Chaos, so my question is can anyone here help me?.
Ol' Scratch
Uhm. Just throw a bunch of numbers on a sheet that reflect a "prime runner" which is just fancy talk for "munchkin character." That's basically all they do when creating one.

If you just want an experienced runner, create one then add X amount of karma and advance them like any other runner.
Synner
Well, depending on why you want such a character, but assuming it's for a game, you have a three different options:

* You can look up established Prime runner characters that have been previously published (Target: Matrix has a number, Brainscan has Dodger) for reference - this method is can produce varying levels of satisfaction because a lot of people believe the published stats for such characters are wimpy depending on your level of play.

* Use the NPC character generation rules in SR Comp for p.83-85 to create Prime Runner NPCs with abilities and skills (etc) comparative to the players. The problem here is sometimes the figures are way off what should be plausible in some game contexts.

* Chuck the whole stat thing make up a cool background, add all the necessary frills and modify on the fly as needed in the game (possibly using the SR Comp rules as a guideline so you don't go overboard) - this is my preferred method.
Abstruse
Prime Runners was 2nd Ed, 2056 I believe in game time...maybe 2057. Only people I've heard mention of in a single game or source book since are Michael Sutcleff (I know I misspelled it), the decker from NYC with an eye for sharp suits who shows up in the novel Nosferatu and gets an update in Target: Matrix; and Rhonbwy...Rhonybwy...ummm, someone get me a SR character spellchecker please? ^_^;; Anyway, he's a great dragon, so he's shown up in a few places as well as DotSW.

The Abstruse One
Kagetenshi
Rhonabwy.

~J
Deacon
If you want to make one of your own characters an 'official' Prime Runner, as in included in the continuity of the world, there are two options:

1) Become a FanPro Author and stick him in your books.

2) Play Shadowrun Missions (which is, after all, the official campaign of FanPro) and attend the special events which will (eventually) get your character mentioned in the books.

If you're trying to insert one of your characters into world-wide continuity (like Captain Chaos or Ryan Mercury), then option #1 is the best way to go. Check the shadowrun website for submission guidelines.

I suppose you could also work with one of the accepted freelance professional authors who inhabit this board (like Synner or Bull) to include one of your characters in the Shadowrun continuity, but that would be a version of option #1, really.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Abstruse)
Only people I've heard mention of in a single game or source book since are Michael Sutcleff (I know I misspelled it), the decker from NYC with an eye for sharp suits who shows up in the novel Nosferatu and gets an update in Target: Matrix; and Rhonbwy...Rhonybwy...ummm, someone get me a SR character spellchecker please? ^_^;; Anyway, he's a great dragon, so he's shown up in a few places as well as DotSW.

Michael James Sutherland is the name yer after. To the best of my recollection, Michael Sutherland appeared in at least two novels, and besides the two you mentioned, Karl-Heinz Zessler and his ally spirit Merlin has also popped up in fiction, and I believe Lisa Suarez, owner of the Phoenix lore store, has shown up in official works too. Then there's Martin deVries, our favorite vampire hunter, who has had at least one mention in official material. (Both Ms. Suarez and Mr. deVries has made appearances in Steve Kenson's unpublished material.)

Oh yes, and we also have the Hoodlum Priest, who gets mention in Bug City, and we mustn't forget decker-prodigy Alexander Tyrell Gates who was mentioned in the original Seattle Sourcebook, I believe (though I might be wrong on that one).

I also have a nagging feeling that Wolfram, or another member of his mildly psychotic gang, is mentioned somewhere other than Prime Runners, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

And personally I think Teachdaire should have been mentioned somewhere, though I believe that is not the case.

That said, I wish they'd publish something along those lines again, possibly expanding the info on people who has already received mention somewhere (kind of like they did in Target: Matrix). Maybe packaged nicely in a Target:-style book focusing on known dangerous/wanted terrorists/shadowrunners/organized crime operatives from a corporate point of view, updating some people from Prime Runners, expanding on other known characters and introducing new ones. Complete with adventure hooks, some new relevant gear and maybe a location or two...

But, to reply to the topic - I think Mr.Vanguard wants to introduce a character of his own making as an official SR Prime Runner. So, Mr. Vanguard - start submitting fiction, adventures, sourcebook material or the like!
Kagetenshi
Wolfram and his gang were mentioned in either New Seattle or the Shadowrun Companion, I can't remember which offhand.

~J
Synner
Then there's Richard Kaminsky and Madeleine Muller who return in SoE. wink.gif
SiM
That said, I wish they'd publish something along those lines again, possibly expanding the info on people who has already received mention somewhere (kind of like they did in Target: Matrix). Maybe packaged nicely in a Target:-style book focusing on known dangerous/wanted terrorists/shadowrunners/organized crime operatives from a corporate point of view, updating some people from Prime Runners, expanding on other known characters and introducing new ones. Complete with adventure hooks, some new relevant gear and maybe a location or two...

Not to give away to much, but something like this is featured in the new and upcoming SOTA: 2064.
Crisp
Jonty Geldenhuis, the bounty hunter from South Africa gets mentioned in Cyberpirates.

And doesn't Alexander Tyrell Gates also appear in T:M--He's the Matrix Casanova, right?

I don't recall any others getting mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012