Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Odin
Hey eververyone I've recently made up a streetdoc/sorcerer adept and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find rules on how much it costs for parts to make cyberware, as I plan to make some datajacks ,smarlinks,chipjacks etc. for the team. I have both B/R electronics and Computer with specializations in cybernetics and cybertechnology respectively as well as the knowledge skill cybertechnology so I don't see any reason I couldn't make them....so if anyone knows what the equation is for cyber parts or would like to share some cool house rules I'd appreciate it.
BitBasher
You will not find those rules, as it is assumed you buy those parts ready to install in all the basic grades. It's kind of for the same reason that a normal person today cannt build a pentium 4 chip. An individual simply cannot realistically posess the facilities.

Just IMHO though. I pretty much always play Devil's Advocate.

Honestly rhough, rules for that do not exist AFAIK.
Odin
You will not find those rules, as it is assumed you buy those parts ready to install in all the basic grades. It's kind of for the same reason that a normal person today cannt build a pentium 4 chip. An individual simply cannot realistically posess the facilities.

*sigh* well thats too bad .....The only thing I want to call you on is the computer parallel as you can make your own cyberdeck(so technically in the world of shadowrun you can make your own pentium 4 chip.) and in that case it would have already set a precedent in favour of making your own cyberware. I can understand the reasoning behind disallowing you to build your own stuff. It's just obviously a balance issue rather than a technical issue.
Dragonslayer
Well I've always assumed that the listed cyberware costs included implanting costs, I did a quick look and can't find anything to the contrary, if anybody can find something please, tell me the page number. When you consider the implanting being part of the cost, then that's where you'll be making your savings. Maybe you coul consider getting a .5 reduction in the street index.

I had a player run a Street Doc for a while. He didn't really make anything, so much as "acquire" cyberware. Face it if you're dealing with a street doc chances are the ware is either used or stolen. So being a street doc, steal some ware or kill someone who has some ware.
mfb
listed cyberware costs included the cost of implantation, right up until Man and Machine came out. i love the book, but one thing that mildly annoys me is that implantation costs can nearly double the price of a given piece of cyberware--but those costs are never factored in during character creation. cyberware suddenly becomes much more expensive, unless you're going to become a shadowrunner at some point in the future.
mrobviousjosh
QUOTE (mfb)
listed cyberware costs included the cost of implantation, right up until Man and Machine came out. i love the book, but one thing that mildly annoys me is that implantation costs can nearly double the price of a given piece of cyberware--but those costs are never factored in during character creation. cyberware suddenly becomes much more expensive, unless you're going to become a shadowrunner at some point in the future.

Yeah, I always thought that any sort of bone lacing, especially Titanium, was a little...unrealistically priced to say the least. I mean, even Wolverine had a ton of scientists and "military level hospital care" before his bones were laced with adamantium. And, with the military, there are no discounts.
BitBasher
QUOTE (mfb)

I thought there were surgery and implantation rules before M&M... I know I've been using them for a long, long time...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (mrobviousjosh)
Yeah, I always thought that any sort of bone lacing, especially Titanium, was a little...unrealistically priced to say the least. I mean, even Wolverine had a ton of scientists and "military level hospital care" before his bones were laced with adamantium. And, with the military, there are no discounts.

Well, Wolverine is a bit of a special case. The big ideas there were:

1) They were using 20th century technolgy to do the bone lacing. No nanites/micromachines assisting in this operation.
2) It wasn't just lacing; they completely replaced his skeleton.
3) Adamantium is supposedly a much harder metal to work with, as it can only be handled in molten form.

Anyhow, I also find it stupid that you have to pay extra for cyberware implantation. I'd go with what Dragonslayer said, and just make it cheaper to get the packaged 'ware.
JaronK
Actually, as I recal the main book does indeed say that the costs of cyberware do not include the doctor's fees. M&M just laid out those fees.

JaronK
Cold-Dragon
*thinks* Hmmm, mind you, I could be wrong, but I think there 'is' a spot that mentions crafting costs, but again, I could be wrong. frown.gif

In the SR3, when they explain the B/R skills and then the section on factories, I think it gives an exampel of repairing/building something. That might mention pricing and all.

otherwise, my best suggestion is to take a fraction of the price as base needs, and then a check to make the item (depending on the item in question, some might be harder than others to figure out).
BitBasher
Also keep in mind in the case of many high tech items the cost for an individual to non mass-produce the items may take longer and cost significantly more per unit than a corp can make and even sell them for.
Zazen
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
2) It wasn't just lacing; they completely replaced his skeleton.

Actually they only coated his skeleton. He's still got bones according to MVC2.

Naturally my expert ability with that game translates to expert knowledge of the characters wink.gif
hobgoblin
fully replaceing bones to so large a degree that a bone lace would do (if it did) cant be done. your body would basicly suffocate as red (and other) bloodcells died off. reason? bone marrow is what creates them and is doing so on a continual basis to keep the number of bloodcells more or less constant. the question is how tight you cna make the net without inhibiting this production to mutch.

maybe they could make it a very net when it comes to wolverine tho as he have that healing factor. allso remeber that comic work at the power level of plot, you basicly cant put wolverines powers into numbers and come out with something that isnt godlike and at the same time have the same effect that they have in the comics.

in a recent comic he was dragged by a truck for a very long time, baiscly stripping him of most of his skin. it would regrow visibly while he was resting on the road afterwards. this is just to illustrate what kind of effect that healing factor is sometimes given by the writers...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012