Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much do you pay for runs?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PiXeL01
When I read the Companion a while back I got a shock when I came to the table about suggested payments for runs. When comparing those values with the kind of cash I throw at my players then I usually times that amount by 5 to 10!

Is this common or should shadowrunner really be kept that down on their luck concerning cash?

Quix
Can I be first to say that it depends on the kind of campaign you're trying to run? (need sarcasm tag). Honestly though there is a table in the CC that gives pay levels? Well bugger me and call me a chicken, I wish I'd known that was there.
Austere Emancipator
I think if there is one, it's in the Shadowrun Companion 3rd Ed, not in Cannon Companion...

Just don't let your players see the book or they'll get uppity. And if they ever whine about how you're holding back money from them, simply promise you'll do it by the book. vegm.gif
toturi
Actually the figures in the SRComp are stated to be for low-end runs. It is also stated that the pay should be the average of 1 month's cost of living for the runners together with the cost of gear used on the run.
PiXeL01
I dont know if I was confussing people ...

I meant I was paying 10 to 20 times the amount suggested

If the book suggested 2000, I would probably have payed 40000 or more ....

Then again my players STILL whine about having too little cash so maybe it is balanced
Cray74
QUOTE (PiXeL01)
When I read the Companion a while back I got a shock when I came to the table about suggested payments for runs. When comparing those values with the kind of cash I throw at my players then I usually times that amount by 5 to 10!

I pay about 1000 to 5000 per PC, sometimes as little as 500 for minor errands. The PCs usually stumble onto some gear worth a fortune every fourth or fifth run, so I don't have a big urge to increase payments.

Some runs will be worth 10K to 25K per PC, but those involve a lot more flying lead and bodies.
Odin
I dont know if I was confussing people ...

I meant I was paying 10 to 20 times the amount suggested

If the book suggested 2000, I would probably have payed 40000 or more ....

Then again my players STILL whine about having too little cash so maybe it is balanced

yeah thats the point you really can payout any amount you want as you can always find ways to get rid of it later example mage has too much cash well burn down his apartment all his casting supplies and libraries were in there well guess he needs to buy new ones now .........streetsam has too much money well have his wired reflexes malfunction and need to be replaced nothing get's someone to a doctor faster than when your nervous system ceases workining devil.gif ....the riggers too rich then blow up his best ride or favorite drone etc. and you play it right it can add alot of flavour and not even seem like you're actually attempting to make them suffer.Remember your their GM you're their god but also their pimp so don't take any backtalk. biggrin.gif
Crusher Bob
There are plenty of realisitc ways to siphon money off your characters. But the pay should be balanced against whatever else they could be doing (then adjusted for the risk). If Mr rigger can pull down 5-10K a month stealing cars and selling them for parts (with no real risks for someone of his skill level) then a job where be seriously risks being ventilated should pay a lot more than that.

I would expect that most starting characters should be able to make between 20 to 40K a month while running (barring any serious accidents), otherwise just steal cars (or whatever safer activity you have lined up)
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (toturi)
It is also stated that the pay should be the average of 1 month's cost of living for the runners together with the cost of gear used on the run.

And when one of my players first saw this, the first thing out of his mouth was, "Hey, we should all get luxury lifestyles so we get paid more." He was kidding, but it still made me stop paying attention to those rules.
Kagetenshi
I typically pay somewhere in the vicinity of 7k to 20k per runner, less for particularly low-risk or low-strain runs, more for particularly expensive (in required materials) or high-risk. I'll also allow them to negotiate more up-front while reducing the total amount (for instance, 15k up front and 60k afterwards can be negotiated to 30k up front and 30k after).

~J
Enigma
I agree with Crusher Bob. Generally runners have exceptional skills in specilised areas, so if the players could make the same or more cash from doing something nowhere nearly as risky as running then I'm simply not being realistic as a GM. I typically pay in the 10K range for the first few runs and then a general standard of 20K per run after that. I lash out 50K for the really hazardous not-all-of-you-may-make-it-back-alive runs, and more for things that are even hairier. Paying small amounts of money in a standard-powered game is rediculous - I know from experience that it just leads to bored or frustrated players, or otherwise creative players finding ways other than running to earn serious cash. I have a tacit understanding with my players - I pay something that is actually some use in equipment acquisition/character advancement terms, and they don't go off the map too often in terms of following scheduled runs.
sir fwank
i usually pay 20k and up for everything. but half of the time most of the team doesn't live to spend it.
Traks
My one team of players would kill each other for 60,000.
Now, I think I'll try that - either it will kill them or make them stronger together.

My runs usually are about 10,000 - a little more if riskier, less if easier.
And there is loot, although they have died few times for being too greedy, looting even coffe-making machines and taking their time. Now they loot much less, only something valuable if stumble upon it.
Catsnightmare
I guess it depends on the character and their costs. I got an aspected mage who has basic monthly expenses (not including injury or special expenses) of 13,500 nuyen a month, compared to my physad who gets by on around 2,500 a month.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
I guess it depends on the character and their costs. I got an aspected mage who has basic monthly expenses (not including injury or special expenses) of 13,500 nuyen a month, compared to my physad who gets by on around 2,500 a month.

In that case, I would suggest it to the group that they pool their resources based on internal needs. Granted, not all PCs would go for such a plan, which is part of the fun, but that way, if the team gets paid 10,000 each and the mage needs an extra couple of thousand, maybe she/he can turn to the adept for the extra cash, since the adept doesn't need it.
Kagetenshi
That only works if the characters have a lot of backstory together. What does the Adept get out of this?

~J
Chance359
Comfort in the knowledge that a friendly mage has his back?
Odin
That only works if the characters have a lot of backstory together. What does the Adept get out of this?

Material links are great collateral rotfl.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That only works if the characters have a lot of backstory together.

I usually require this for my games. Helps to cut down on one player trying to kill other players, I've found. After a bunch of games in a row where the players would suddenly start killing each other after every run in order to get the most money and gear the game started to feel more like Paranoia to me than Shadowrun. So, I decreed that the characters must have some experience working together. They don't have to be long friends or oath-bound blood-brothers/sisters, but they should feel like they can rely on and trust the other PCs. NPC on the other hand .... vegm.gif
Voran
I've tended to use movies as references for payouts. In the movies where the main characters are hired to do something/kill someone/break into somewhere, the payout for the gig is at least a few hundred thousand.

It seems a bit off for this scenario to be commonplace: (A bit of metagame language used)

Hey, I'd like to hire your capable group of runners to steal this prototype <x> from <Z> corp. <Z> corp's facility is well defended, since I got a copy Corp Security and, well, got a little crazy slapping defenses together. Yeah, its also unsaid that said prototype would allow the group I'm fixing this run for to make millions, hell, billions of nuyen off of. And...I'm going to pay you.....oh, 35k. EACH. Isn't that alot?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Chance359 @ Aug 9 2004, 11:26 AM)
Comfort in the knowledge that a friendly mage has his back?

Picture this. You're working with a guy. He wants some money. You're working with him today, but all you've got is his word that you're ever going to see him again. You probably haven't known him for more than six months, possibly less. Oh, and he (like you) is a professional criminal.

Do you give him several thousand nuyen?

~J

Edit: Voran, you come up with a good point, but there's another side to that. Some Johnsons will probably pay significantly less for valuable jobs if they can get away with it, just to create the impression that this is not an important job.
Voran
True for Kagetenshi's point. I admit I'd be inclined to start that way if I were GMing a Johnson. Start in at about 40% of what I was authorized to pay, then make it seem like I"m cutting the runners a deal when I up it to say, 60-70%. My Johnson still ends up 'saving' and likely keeping as a bonus, the other 30 to 40% left over smile.gif

Still, I feel runs need to be competitive with other lifestyle choices (no, not that kinda lifestyle choice) available to runners. It'd be probably easier for runners to become pure criminals, selling drugs and BTLs, and get paid better, than some of the run offers they get.

Edit: Shoot forgot to add.

In SR it seems a little different too, perhaps in the beginning a Johnson is hiring a batch of nobodies. But the game also seems to incorporate, at least in the later portions of a groups game, that SR teams are established and have a good 'word of mouth' or resume going. Unless you're hiring the team as decoys or throwaways, the Johnson is probably hiring the group because he/she sees the odds of the succeeding being more than the odds of them screwing it up.

Kinda a variation on the "You get what you pay for". You pay chump change, you get lowbies. You want premium grade, you have to put a little more effort into offering a competitive price.
Ol' Scratch
I gave up on the "established" prices Shadowrun uses a long time ago. They're just not believable to me. But then again, a lot of the way business is handled in the shadows seems poorly thought out to me, too.

I'd advocate ignoring what Shadowrun has to say on the subject and go with what makes sense to you. How much would you need to be paid to perform any given task? Would you agree that a piddly 5,000 nuyen (not even enough to buy a crappy car) was enough for the risks inherent to the possibility of killing six guards and kidnapping a scientist from a secure facility? Pfft.
Kagetenshi
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting rock-bottom prices. Just because a job will potentially net a corp 1,200,000 nuyen, though, doesn't mean that they're going to be offering 150,000.

~J
FrostyNSO
My runners usually get paid about 15-20k per run just so they don't all go and get day jobs instead. After negotiations it usually ends up being 20-25k (I don't bother with the percentages I just let my players choose their price and adjust the modifiers for negotiation, they get it or they get something in between). Also, I usually pay the team in a lump sum (4 runners get 60-80k total to divide), does anyone else do this?

I usually try to incorporate a bonus into every run to keep my players on their feet and thinking (i.e. "while your in the building, if you can find so and so and bring it/them wherever, I'll throw in a/an whatever/extra nuyen)

If they are doing a hard job that requires absolute stealth, they will usually get paid quite a bit more.
Zazen
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Edit: Voran, you come up with a good point, but there's another side to that. Some Johnsons will probably pay significantly less for valuable jobs if they can get away with it, just to create the impression that this is not an important job.

That carries with it the risk that the runners will treat it like an unimportant job, though. If it comes down to seriously risking their ass, they may cut their losses and split.

It's a cool tactic, but should be used sparingly.
RedmondLarry
Here's a link to earlier discussion of this topic.

Here's what I posted then:
QUOTE (OurTeam)
In the campaigns I've been in, beginning characters have been willing to accept runs from Mr. Johnson for 1,000 nuyen each, and are happier at 2,000. Characters with 50 earned Karma think 5,000 each for a job is kinda low, but they are willing to take it, and are happier at 10,000. At 400 earned Karma, they are willing to take a job at 40,000 each, and are happier at 80,000 each. At each of these levels, they are unhappy to accept runs at the lower number.

Running these numbers through a spreadsheet, I see a pattern. 100*(current earned karma) is about the least they are willing to accept for a run that seems challenging as Mr. Johnson describes it. Less than that feels like it's not worth it, and they'll grumble. At double that amount they happily take the job, figuring that it's probably risky, but they are being paid to take a risk.

I believe that most Johnsons will seek out the cheapest team whose rep indicates they have a high likelihood of success, and will offer just barely enough money to get them to say Yes.

Rewards in our campaign are typically 3 to 4 Karma points awarded per 8 hours of play. A typical adventure might take us 24 hours to play, and awards 9 to 12 Karma to each character.
Hunter
Ah, the inevitable discussion on payment for runs....

A GM should always consider the character's motivations. Odds are if they're doing it for the money, they'd be better off stealing cars or some such. That's part of the reason I though the SC guidelines on payment were a bit scewed... talker.gif
mmu1
Are some of these supposed to be payments for runs? I think our team might spend more on fuel for the rigger and the "mission accomplished" steak dinners. biggrin.gif

If that's all Johnsons paid, we could make a much better living stealing cars and mugging gangbangers... 1K per person per run is not exactly tempting to a group of people with a couple of million invested in cyberware and equipment...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mmu1)
Are some of these supposed to be payments for runs? I think our team might spend more on fuel for the rigger and the "mission accomplished" steak dinners. biggrin.gif

If that's all Johnsons paid, we could make a much better living stealing cars and mugging gangbangers... 1K per person per run is not exactly tempting to a group of people with a couple of million invested in cyberware and equipment...

Our group has actually made an average of 20k a run (total, so 5k each average) from selling cars aquired during runs, give or take.

But my esteemed colleague makes an excellent point: it's not just about how much you make, it's also about how much you spend.

~J
Arethusa
Aren't you worried about those cars getting traced back to you? Always stay as clean as possible, which is exactly why killing guys and taking their stuff is almost always magnificently unprofessional.
mmu1
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Aug 10 2004, 02:38 PM)
Aren't you worried about those cars getting traced back to you?  Always stay as clean as possible, which is exactly why killing guys and taking their stuff is almost always magnificently unprofessional.

Not any more worried than we would be about leaving a car behind for authorities or friends of the victim to find.

It's always done cleanly (courtesy of some professional contacts, not the local chop shop) and is a happy medium between leaving the cars behind and putting them through a car crusher, that's good for some extra cash.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Aren't you worried about those cars getting traced back to you?

That's a good seed to plant in the back of the runners minds, good to make them sweat abit more.
Kagetenshi
Oh bull. If they haven't thought about it before (and we have) then they probably won't be the type to be worrying anyway.

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Aren't you worried about those cars getting traced back to you?

As opposed to every other aspect of a crime? I'd be more concerned about the video cameras, DNA samples, eye witnesses, the Johnson, and the Fixer who set up the crime than I would about a stolen car sold in the shadows to another criminal.

Oh no! Someone sold a stolen car on the black market! The horror! THE HORROR!
Arethusa
Only a fool willingly attracts more attention when his life affords more than enough as it is.
Ol' Scratch
It could be worse. They could be bragging on the street about how easily they could score some nuclear material and build a bomb. I'd say that's more foolish and stupid than ditching your escape car at a junkyard or selling it to some other sucker who'll strip it down, chop it up, and sell it in a foreign country.

But I guess leaving it sitting in a parking lot is a better idea. Only a fool would do otherwise, eh?
FrostyNSO
Arrange a little run to the old Pantex facility in what used to be texas, have a buddy who's 'good with tools' build a housing for the weapon, sell the new toy to <insert terror group name here>

-More money than you'll ever make in one run. If you survive the backlash afterwards
Arethusa
Of course that's more foolish. But simply because stupider acts exist doesn't make a stupid act any less so.
Kagetenshi
But the fact that selling goods you happen to have picked up makes perfect sense and is, in the case of something like a car, probably safer (it's going to be thoroughly worked over to make sure the shop doesn't catch hell, which will probably destroy more evidence than we could have taken care of on-scene) means that this isn't a stupid act. Quite the opposite.

Grabbing everything you can lay your hands on is stupid. Taking stuff to sell isn't, as long as you can be sure you aren't taking the wrong things (here's that element of risk).

~J
Shadow
Everytime you fence something you are increasing the chance of getting caught by law enforcement. It is not worth the three hundred nuyen you get for taking the guards cyber eyes.

It is plain stupid all these people who are loot monkeys in Shadowrun. You will get caught.

Now you can be Uber careful and drop a timed Willie Pete grenade in your car when you leave it, that is what I do. I also have my guys change out their barrels and melt dow the old ones. Or in the case of non customized pistols, a bag, some weight and the puget sound. Let the salt do the work for you.
mmu1
Except that runners aren't (generally) the members of a black-ops squad, where operational security and deniability are number one, and gear is something you recquisition from the company as needed.

And passing up 20,000 because you're worried about a car getting traced (provided you know what you're doing as far as fencing stuff goes) when you regularly do things that are a hell of a lot more risky and don't pay all that much more just doesn't make sense - at least as long as you're a career criminal, not a superspy.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow)
Everytime you fence something you are increasing the chance of getting caught by law enforcement.

*Ahem* no.

Selling cybereyes to Tamanous you stand a damn higher chance of getting geeked and sold for parts yourself at the meet than you do being nailed by the 'Star.

~J
Bob the Ninja
A fellow PC once made a "chop shop" for recovered cyberware. He really got into it, he bought the proper medical facilities, had the proper skills, and developed appropriate contacts.

Pretty soon he retired the character so that said character could take on the job full-time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012