Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Registration
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mrobviousjosh
Okay, I'll admit it, I still don't know ALL the rules and have only played a few sessions of Shadowrun (though my twin brother and I have FINALLY constructed a group to play regularly) and I had read someone say that magic needed to be registered. Okay, if this is the case, which it very well may be (I'm still going through the Core Book, Cannon Companion, and the Shadowrun Companion) how/exactly what do you have to register with whom? I would assume you would register with Lone Star (Or Governing Nation) just like you would with SINs or Permits but I don't have a clue. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Digital Heroin
There are only a few countries which require magic to be registered. IIRC the UK is the primary one. In that case a practitioner is required to submit a DNA sample on registry.
Backgammon
Indeed, UCAS mages don't need to register with anyone. However, any spell or spirit over force 2 is illegal without a permit, which can be obtained the same as other permits. All killings using magic are considered premeditated acts. You are responsible for anything you summon, even if you lose control of it.
mrobviousjosh
Cool. Thanks for the quick reply guys.
Cold-Dragon
Hmmm, I thought the limit was 3 before you hit permit issues? *goes to check that sometime*
RedmondLarry
You can check it if you want. Anything over Force 2 requires permit.
Cray74
QUOTE (OurTeam)

Yeah, and the UCAS's Bureau of Tobacco and Firearms said the same thing about Betsy, my HMG, when I asked about it.

Well, they actually said, "Only if you're a member of the UCAS's armed forced or of an AAA-megacorp's security forces, otherwise there's no way in hell. ...Why are you asking? And what was your name again? Hey, come back here!"

Since they sounded so upset about the question, I figured it'd be easiest just not to bother submitting the paperwork when I got Betsy. They might get even more stressed.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon @ Aug 16 2004, 02:47 PM)
Hmmm, I thought the limit was 3 before you hit permit issues? *goes to check that sometime*

That's a common mistake due to the wording. I believe it's something to the effect of "Force 3 or higher is illegal." The "Force 3" part gets stuck in your head. smile.gif
Cynic project
QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (OurTeam)

Yeah, and the UCAS's Bureau of Tobacco and Firearms said the same thing about Betsy, my HMG, when I asked about it.

Well, they actually said, "Only if you're a member of the UCAS's armed forced or of an AAA-megacorp's security forces, otherwise there's no way in hell. ...Why are you asking? And what was your name again? Hey, come back here!"

Since they sounded so upset about the question, I figured it'd be easiest just not to bother submitting the paperwork when I got Betsy. They might get even more stressed.

Don't forget AA's
Cray74
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Aug 16 2004, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (Cray)
[humor snipped]
Don't forget AA's

[sigh]
BIG BAD BEESTE
Yup, the magical registration for the UCAS was introduced sometime in the mid-50's I think. Its only really necessary for Force 3+ items, spells and spirits or if your character intends to be "legal" which is not your average, run-of-the-mill shadowrunner. Of course, if you wanted to be a practising doctor or professor of thaumatergy...

The UK is way harsher. If Awakened in ANY capacity you are required to submit DNA samples to the LPO with your registration (and yes, this is a requirement for Awakened getting authorised travel visas to the UK). Other than that you better smuggle your way in or have decent masking metamagic. Using unlicensed magical abilities is an automatic fine or imprisionment according to the London sb - even if you're being a good samaritan and are healing wounded bystanders to something you may be completely unconnected with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012