Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adepts and Power Points
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
Ok so I get the idea that starting adepts get 1 power point per Magic Point they possess, so for most cases, 6 Essence = 6 Magic = 6 power Points. SR3 also mentions that you can purchase additional Power Points for 20 Good karma.

Where I am having the disconnect is will initiating (per MITS) and gaining a Magic Point also grant you an additional Power Point?

So are the only ways to get more powers points are 1) Initiate and 2) 20 Good Karma?

Thanks,
BitBasher
Except that the book recommends that if you use Initiation then you not use the 20 good karma to a power point rule IIRC.
mrobviousjosh
Okay, now I can tell I'm really tired. What does IIRC stand for again? Initiating should be in the SR3 core book, like page 168 or something, right?
GrinderTheTroll
Initiating isnt in SR3, its in MITS, and IIRC = If I recall correctly.
RedmondLarry
All initiating is in MITS. IIRC is If I Recall Correctly..

/Edit: Grinder types fast. OurTeam almost fast. Kagetenshi takes twice as long.
Kagetenshi
If I Remember Correctly, and Initiation is in Magic in the Shadows.

~J, botching post tests since 2045
mrobviousjosh
Wow, smoking response times. Thanks guys. I figured all that was in the Magic book. Eh....so many books to reread.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Where I am having the disconnect is will initiating (per MITS) and gaining a Magic Point also grant you an additional Power Point?

Yes, it's an indirect benefit of initiation for adepts. MitS p. 58, "Magic Increase."

So are the only ways to get more powers points are 1) Initiate and 2) 20 Good Karma?

Nope, that's about it. And as BitBasher stated, its suggested (but not required) that a game uses one or the other, not both. I don't see the harm in using both myself. The 20 Karma option only really becomes attractive after you've hit something like Grade 6 with a group and ordeal, and by doing it you don't get a metamagic technique or any of the other advantages of initiation. Just another Power Point.
RedmondLarry
Since the 20 Good Karma technique (SR3.168) doesn't raise your Magic Attribute, it doesn't increase your chances of failing a test for Magic Loss. Thus, you are less likely to lose Magic (and Adept Powers) using that technique.

Our Team follows the recommendation to not use that technique, as we use Initiation instead.
mrobviousjosh
Okay, seeing as how I'm playing catchup, will someone please break down the act of and benefits for initiating an adept?
Ol' Scratch
But by the time it starts to really matter, your Magic is already so high that it's not much of a benefit. Especially in exchange for a lack of metamagic techniques and higher grade (including Astral Pool, benefits of some metamagic techniques, and etc.). Considering Magic Loss can always be offset by taking a geas, again, it's not much of a benefit.
RedmondLarry
If your group isn't yet using MITS, just use the Power Point system on SR3.168 for advancing your Adept.

An initiation, for magicians and adepts, is a way to spend lots of Karma to get a little better. Initiation is talked about in Grades. After your first initiation you are a grade 1 initiate. Besides new Power Points, both Adepts and Magicians can learn Metamagic techniques. One, for example, is Masking, which lets you hide the fact that you're a magician from astral perception by regular magicians (and sometimes from other initiate magicians). Another is Centering, which lets you conduct some artistic activity while you do your magic which helps you in that magic. (Chanting, dancing, speaking latin, etc.) There are several Metamagic Techniques, but not very many that an Adept can use. See MITS for info on Metamagic Techniques.

Initiation costs (5+new grade) x 3 Karma to go up one grade. See MITS for ways to make it cost less.

Since Initiation increases your Magic Attribute, the higher your grade the more likely your character will lose a Magic Point if forced to roll for it.
GrinderTheTroll
Hehe, thats about it, really more Magic points and more Power Points, if I am not mistaken (sorry no MITS handy).

I can't recall, can adepts bond power foci too? If so, they you get some Power Points with the Magic Attribute upgrade right?
mrobviousjosh
That's cool. I just didn't know the specifics or whether one was more "cost effective" for karma than the other. 20 to get one power point seemed reasonable, unless you're talking about getting a 5 power point ability down the road, lol. I'd never be able to save them that long, lol.
RedmondLarry
I saw a character that had saved 35 Karma for more Power Points lose it all with Hand of God. He didn't know that you could buy one Power Point at a time, and collect up the Power Points to eventually buy a multi-point power. If he'd known that, his Karma loss from Hand-of-God would only have been 15.
GrinderTheTroll
Sorry for the random questions here, I seem to remember reading that successive adpet powers (Increased Reflexes 1, 2, 3) you need only pay the difference to move to the next level:

If I had IR2 (3 points), I'd need only pay the difference of 2 points to get to IR3 (5 points), right?
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Aug 16 2004, 04:54 PM)
I can't recall, can adepts bond power foci too?  If so, then you get some Power Points with the Magic Attribute upgrade right?
I guess an Adept could Bond a Power Focus, but it wouldn't do him much good. A Power Focus doesn't increase Magic Attribute, nor does it give Power Points. It could presumably help the Adept with the Drain Tests after using powers that have drain.
QUOTE (SR3.190 Power Focus)
It increases the owner's Magic Attribute by its own Force for  purposes of determining whether or not (sic) Drain does stun or physical and stun (sic) damage, as well as for determining the maximum spirit Force that can be summoned.
/Edit: Corrected to add possible use of Power Focus by Adept.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
If I had IR2 (3 points), I'd need only pay the difference of 2 points to get to IR3 (5 points), right?

Correct.
Synner
Though the number of Metamagics currently available to adepts is limited (though at least Centering is potentially more powerful) when compared to full magicians, SOTA64 will be changing that significantly with its chapter on the Path of the Adept.
mfb
wireknight came up with some cool adept-specific foci. i'm not sure if SOTA:64 has any adept-oriented foci (though i guess i'll find out in two days).
Cirenya
And don't forget, your magic attribute sets the limit for how many levels you can have in a given power, could have importance for adepts who want to max their improved ability
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012