Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renny & Dr. Haberstam 2064
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kryton
I'm writing a game for some friends at a store who asked me to run an "unofficial game". I decided to run something based on the old Virtual Realities 1.0 story about Renny. (Copyright 1991) & Threats 1 Thinking about the old story and what Renny went through I think there are two possibilities:
A. Renny is "angry" and seeks revenge at any cost trying to hunt down Dr. Hab. and possibly leads an Otaku Tribe?
B. Renny's memory was recovered and he had a previous childhood that was erased so he's not as "vengeful" and seeks to just live a normal life.

For those interested what do you think Renny would do? I'm curious to know if anyone is interested or has a opinnion?
BitBasher
There's a third more likely possibility.

3) Renny is dead or has no desire for revenge or shaodwbusiness.

I think that's more likely than the first 2. Vicims of abuse usually want to withdraw. He probably would want a normal life. It's not good for a strory, but it is far more likely.
Ecclesiastes
For the uninformed... who is Renny and Dr. Haberstam?

Wait, is that the guy that was taking child brains, putting them in a jar and connecting them to the matrix to make 'super'-Otaku?
BishopMcQ
Dr Halberstam...
QUOTE (Ancient Files)
The White-haired grand-Daddy of the Matrix.  Without Halberstam, there might not be any ASIST.  Not that Dr. H cares much.  All he ever wanted was an AI.  'Course, that was in the beginning.  Since then, he's gone on to an obsession with directly linking children to the Matrix.  And he's become so very, very good at it...

Not sure who Renny is...
BitBasher
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
For the uninformed... who is Renny and Dr. Haberstam?

Wait, is that the guy that was taking child brains, putting them in a jar and connecting them to the matrix to make 'super'-Otaku?

Correctamundo!
Kurukami
Not exactly, from what I recall... it was more that the kids' bodies (at least in VR) were perpetually plugged into the Matrix. There was no scooping out of brains and putting them in jars.
JoeJones
Renny was a child who was raised entirely inside the Matrix. He learned to code and run the Matrix in the way most children learn to walk. His body was kept on life support, since it was badly atrophied. The legendary decker Lucifer's last act was to free Renny and one other similar child from Dr. Halberstam's experiment.
BishopMcQ
Thanks Joe!
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kurukami)
Not exactly, from what I recall... it was more that the kids' bodies (at least in VR) were perpetually plugged into the Matrix. There was no scooping out of brains and putting them in jars.

There was when he was revisited in Threats or Threats2, I don't recall which.
JoeJones
My brother picked up VR way back when (c. 1992), and I tried to read through the book. The only part that made an impression on me (other that "stay the frag outta the Matrix") was the story. I still have a touch of Matrix-phobia, although that has gotten better since I ran a short SR3 campaign with 2 deckers. At least SR3 Matrix rules make more sense to me than the SR2 ones did back then. ^_^
kryton
I wonder what sort of personality he would have. The one reason why I think he might have "revenge" in mind is the fact that there was an icon of an "angel" type of character with sort of grayed and darkened and somewhat unshaved face. I always thought he would make it his life's work to get revenge on the loss of his child hood. Supposedly he was only brought up in the Matrix but he could have had a normal child hood or had his memory wiped after being bought on the black market. (Something that happens too often today.) He wasn't really "abused" other than having his whole life view and understanding shattered. But he did learn how to hack and what not. I think overall though there would be lots of anger and rage similar to an adult confronting his or her ambivalent parents about abuse. I think Renny would be out there somewhere searching and looking, waiting to make a move from afar. Besides if he didn’t do anything to get revenge or kill the guy then that would be boring. What’s the point of being a super hacker born in the matrix if you “get over it” and become a 9 to 5 average joe code monkey working for some software company. I think Renny is still out there somewhere…..
Ancient History
I could clarify a bit.

QUOTE ("Echoes of the Crash")

It began in 2018, when Dr. Hosato Hikita created
ASIST (Artificial Sensory Induction System) while working for ESP Systems in Chicago.  Dr.
Hikita used the research of the then-young Dr. Halberstam, who was mapping the brain's thought
processes  in order to create an AI, while also working at ESP Systems.  Hikita had moral
objections to AI, but used Halberstam's research to interface the human brain with technology.
This was the birth of Simsense.

Project Matrix Born ran sometime around 2048 to 2052.  The avowed purpose of this project, ran
by the now-infamous Dr. Ronald Thomas Halberstam, is unknown, but the parameters are apparent.
Halberstam connected children directly to the matrix, completely free of any concept of any other world.
The apparent reason for this was the creation of super-deckers who would not be shackled with the
psychological limitations of other deckers.  When the Project was exposed to Halberstam's wife in
2051, she divorced him.  But the good Doctor continued his work.

Its 2057 and Halberstam's newest scheme is to just have the little kid's brains in jars running the Matrix.
Welcome to the creation of the Biological Knowbot.

In 2061, the now-infamous Dr. Halberstam may just have been hired on by Mitsuhama, who're working
on bio-computers (and his more traditional brain-transfer tech, of course.)  Whatever he may have been
hired to do, looks like Doc's still keeping his older ideas in motion.  In 2063 there's a report of him using
otaku brains for his dastardly schemes.

Renny was one of Dr. Halberstam's test subjects in Project Matrix Born. After undergoing a period of tutelage by the hacker Lucifer; Renny rebelled and staged the extraction of himself and the other test subjects. Shortly thereafter Renny revealed the details of the project to Halberstam's wife (who promptly left him), and Halberstam went further underground, not truly resurfacing until 2057 with the advent of Biological Knowbots; and then again in 2061 doing the same experiments with otaku.

Renny is still alive, having posted on Shadowland, but how he's doing and what agenda, if any, he has against Halberstam is unknown.
kryton
Where does the 2063 reference come from?
kryton
Oh and ancient history your rock......Dude where do you put all this info? Do you have a photographic memory? Where do you put all this stuff?
Herald of Verjigorm
The info is in his site, linked to from his sig. This information appears to be out of the "Echoes of the Crash" page mostly.
mfb
where'd the info on Renny come from? this is the first i've heard of him.
Kanada Ten
Renny appears in a story at the end of Virtual Realities (the first one). He is a test subject born connected to the Matrix and Simsense.
mfb
ah. have to pick that up.
Pistons
Yeah, that's a good story to read. The thread of it is picked up later through Halberstam, the references for which have already been mentioned (Threats, Corporate Download). Where they come together again, albeit briefly, is in the novel Psychotrope.
kryton
The Renny story is one of my favorite stories. I enjoyed it alot. Since VR 1 is out of print I might see about scanning it into PDF format. It's a decent story. I think Tom Dowd wrote it but I can't remember. It's kind of along the lines of "At what point does Flesh become human?". At MIT in the CompSci departments they refer to humans as "biomechanical machines". We're just a super complex chemical machine. In that stark and positivistic view(the form of empiricism that bases all knowledge on perceptual experience) at what point does a human stop being a human? Is consciousness the defining factor? If you dig a little deeper there lots of ethical issues we're facing today. Everything from abortion rights, stem cell research, genetic engineering...If we're all just walking machines at what point does the human dignity and science clash. (This sort of flys in the face of a positivist utilitarian/relativism).
Ancient History
Actually, the author was Christopher Kubasik (who also wrote Changeling.) It stands as one of my favorite SR stories of all time, and a requirement for all new deckers to absorb.
DigitalMage
Wasn't Renny one of the NPCs in Brainscan working with Dodger and co?
Demonseed Elite
I think you might have Renny mistaken with Ronin, because I don't think Renny was in Brainscan at all.
DigitalMage
Was he not? Not even mentioned? Or was it in Threats 2 in reference to one of the Brainscan fallout threats? I feel pretty sure that there was a recent mention of Renny (maybe it was even a comment in regards to Halberstam in Threats 2)
Demonseed Elite
I'm trying to recall a mention of Renny in relation to Deus, and I can't think of one, but it's also been awhile.
Pistons
There's nothing in Threats 2 or Brainscan regarding Renny or Dr. Halberstam. You may be thinking of his appearance in the shadowtalk at the end of the novel Psychotrope, which deals with the AI of the same name.
Ancient History
Some people who've run through Brainscan are confused because of the character named Remy they have to track down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012