Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Micro Anthroform Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cray74
So, since I'm away from my copy of Rigger 3, all I recall is that medium anthroform drones (body 2) are about human-sized. Can the micro-crawler chassis be equipped with arms to give me my Micro Robo Karate Drone?

(Note the two videos in the link, and the autonomy of the robots: remote controls supply simple commands that the robots must execute, in addition to maintaining their balance.)

2004 Robo-One Contestants

A Robo-One Contestant's Home Page
Kagetenshi
I don't remember how the size and weight would work, but barring problems with those, yes, you can stick arms on a Body 1 drone. That'd give you all of Strength 1, so it'll mostly just duke it out with other robos. I suppose if you really wanted to you could put some arms on a Body 0 drone, but with a strength of 0 there isn't much point smile.gif

~J
RangerJoe
Strength 0 arms sort of make sense for the current state of the robo-duel art (if the videos are to be believed). A strength 0 body 0 robot could knock other strength 0 body 0 robots on their backs, get up, and repeat until one or the other falls off the table.
Cray74
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
Strength 0 arms sort of make sense for the current state of the robo-duel art (if the videos are to be believed).

To be believed? It's just a miniaturization of the technology behind QRIO and ASIMO robots, using a growing body of motion control knowledge available on the internet. The "Robo-One" competition even makes some basic software available, though a lot of competitors appear to prefer to develop their own software and hardware. Note many of the contestants had home pages detailing the development of their robots.

A strength 0 body 0 robot could knock other strength 0 body 0 robots on their backs, get up, and repeat until one or the other falls off the table.

That, too. And for applications of greater interest to runners, strength 0 would probably be adequate for remotely performing skills, like Electronics.
Ol' Scratch
A Body 1 drone can have Mechanical Arms with a Strength up to 10 (but it'll cost you out the wazoo, assuming you had enough Load to support the improvements) while Body 0 drones are limited to Strength 0. This would allow it to lift up to anything weighing less than a kilogram if you go by a really generous reading of the rules (since that would be rounded down to 0 kg, which is the limit for Strength 0).

All of the robots I saw above look like Body 1 drones to me. Body 0 ones are tiny little buggers that weigh next to nothing, whereas Body 1 are about the size of a typical RC toy. So it wouldn't be any trouble latching a Mechanical Arm that could give a troll a run for his money in an arm-wrestling competition to one of those.

But yeah, there's no problem slapping an arm on a walker drone. There's no standard anthroform chassis, but it wouldn't be hard to put one together. Just look at the difference in values between a Body 1 Walker and a Body 2 Walker then create a Body 1 Anthroform from the Body 2 Anthroform chassis following the same guidelines.

Although the rules only hint at it, there shouldn't be any problem adding an Autosoft Interpretation System to the drone and giving it a custom Karate Autosoft either. smile.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
All of the robots I saw above look like Body 1 drones to me.  Body 0 ones are tiny little buggers that weigh next to nothing, whereas Body 1 are about the size of a typical RC toy.

Yeah...I was thinking of Body 1 walkers as being bigger, but they can be toaster-sized. They seem to have the CF available, too: 4 with all design enhancements. 2 would go to the arms, 1 would go to autosoft interpretation system, and 1 for whatever else.

And now: To re-enact the Puppetmaster series of movies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012