Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A team with two faces
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
pillough
I'm about to start running a game and two of my players want be faces. One of them will be able to fill other roles as needed, but the other is pretty much talk-or-die guy. Do you guys think this will be too much of a problem? The more flexible character is also being played by a more flexible player, so I'm sure he would be willing to change his character if I asked him to, but that's not something I want to do. So what do you all think? Should I see how it all plays out or should I ask one of them to change their character? Other suggestions are welcome as well.

This concludes my first post at dumpshock.
Fonitrus
Have a go at running a mini game (not a full campaign) as a start...possibly a lead up to a campaign...Now you as a GM must be flexible and work with what you have.
If you have 2 faces and they both suck in heavy and prolonged combat then dont give them that kinds of jobs. playalot of negotiations encounters and other things they have strengths at.
Not all SR teams are nasty shooters. Some just pay some actual nasty runner group to do the job and scheme the employer..or whatnot...Combat may be a big part of SR but there are more than one way to go about completing a run so let them play and dont worry too much...If they steal each other's spotlights and if tensions arrise then ask if any of them would be happier playing another character. dont reset/stop the campaign..just play on..teammates die..new members are accuired almost weekly (depends on runner group).

They may actually pull it off..who knows smile.gif
Let them free-form abit every session and see what schemes and personal agendas they entangle your world with smile.gif
Gorath
Perhaps those two faces have different strengths and weaknesses. I.e. the true face could be a corporate kind, the other one (that can fill other roles) could be a street level face, perhaps ex-ganger with according combat skills.

If not you could push the flexible player into this direction, so both characters can shine and must not fear to be toped by the other one.
Siege
I suppose it depends on how you define Face - just because a character has more social skills than combat or technical doesn't necessarily make him a face.

Take a look at the characters and see how badly they overlap - odds are, each will have different contacts which gives them double rolls to get the same kind of goods, services and information.

Which can be pretty handy for a team.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
This can be done easily. Maybe one of them has Friendly Face, Good Reputation, Good Looking and Knows It, high Etiquette, Negotiation, etc. He or she may not know so many people, but he or she makes friends easily and can get you to give him or her your television for free and feel you've gotten the better end of the deal. The other face has high Negotiation, Intimidation, Interrogation; if you know something, he or she will convince you to tell him or her no matter what. Then you've got your third face with Good Rep 2, high Etiquette, and a zillion contacts.

There you have three faces that can easily coexist in the same team.

~J
Lantzer
Two faces working together are more powerful than 2 faces working separately.

The best scams/misdirections/ infiltrations work better with more than one face.

Think about it, usually, one of the sammies or the mage is shoved into the role of face-assistant.
Kagetenshi
It's true; the best scams involve a partner. It also gives you a more effective good cop/bad cop interrogation.

~J
pillough
Thanks to everyone for the response. I am glad to see that you guys don't think it'll be problematic. As for their overlapping skills, I haven't actually seen them yet. I told my players that I wanted to hear a solid character concept with at least a bit of story before anyone writes down any numbers. Much to my surprise, they went for it. Both led me to believe that they were gonna go the nice-guy-with-a-big-smile route, but they may surprise me again.
Dash Panther

What are the other characters going to be?

The two faces could be working their cons to help the other characters. They could stage distractions so the covert operative can sneak in and out, for example. They can use finesse without spilling blood.
Necro Tech
Try to get them working together from the start. Make them con men or salesmen or corporate pitch men. Them have them watch Matchstick Men and any other conman movie you can find. Having two people who talk the talk makes for some priceless moments.

Hapless shadowrunner-posing--as-repairman. "I'm sure I have that work order some where. Yeah, right here with my credentials......"

Guard "yeah buddy, why don't you step inside the booth while we give the Star a call."

HSPAR "But but,....."

Shadowrunner-posing-as-irrate-site-manager. "WHAT THE HELL TOOK YOU SO DAMN LONG! WE HAVE CORPORATE COMING FOR LUNCH AND IF THE PRESENTATION DEVICE ISN'T WORKING SOMEONE IS GETTING FIRED AND IT ISN'T GONNA BE ME!"

Guard "Uh, sir, you know-"

SPAISM "OF COURSE I'M WAITING FOR HIM, WHO CAN I SAY IS HOLDING UP MY REPAIR MAN? OFFICER......"

Guard-now-covering-name-tag "Go right on in"

Dash Panther

Confidence and Ocean's Eleven also have lots of cons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012