Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unlisted flaws
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grimtooth
I have a character from way back that has the Flaw Bad Luck with a rating of 4

i cannot find this flaw anywhere anymore. I know that it came off the net.

the only one i can find is:

Unlucky
1-3
Severity (level 3 effects everyone around the unlucky person too)

this is in the old dumpshock.

any ideas? any descriptions of the effects?

This particular character had the WORST luck and it really fit.
Siege
It depends on how flexible you really want to be.

QUOTE (The Quick and Dirty Mechanic)

The character suffers a penalty equal to the flaw level to the specific dice rolls attempted for the turn.  The GM rolls 1d6; on a 1 the character's affliction comes into play.

Special note: On a level 3 flaw, all characters nearby also suffer a +1 penalty when the bad luck is in play.

Example: A character with a -2 bad luck flaw suffers a +2 penalty to all actions taken for the turn.

Special effect - the "bad luck" is reflected in the form of some random interference.  A character may sneeze at a bad moment, her hand is sweaty and the tool shifts, the wind blows something in the character's eye and makes him flinch, etc.

Alternatively, the two write-ups I've seen online suggest more of a "this is why bad stuff happens to you" kind of role-play.

Good/Bad luck
Jestyr's version of Bad luck

-Siege

Ol' Scratch
Special note: On a level 3 flaw, all characters nearby also suffer a +1 penalty when the bad luck is in play.

No flaw should ever affect another character directly like that. Ever.
Kagetenshi
Agreed.

~J
BitBasher
I concur. That's why we disallow gremlins.
Kagetenshi
Gremlins there's at least the requirement that the character in question be the one operating the device; there are other problems with it, but it's not going to directly bite a careful character whose only fault is being in the same party with a Gremlined character.

This, on the other hand, is only avoidable by either completely removing oneself from the affected runner's presence at all times or by shooting the affected runner.

~J
RangerJoe
On the other hand, wouldn't it be great to give the party-affecting "bad luck" flaw to an NPC? What happens when the suit you've been paid mega-yen to extract and hide in a safehouse for a week or so turns out to be "cursed"? The trick would be tying the difficulty of the adventure back to the NPC, while not being "just a jerky GM." It could lead to some great role-playing possibilities. What if instead of a "junk NPC" (I know teams who would just off the mark, or abandon him) it turns out that a dependent or useful contact has contagious bad luck? Not only would the character become more vivid in the palyers' minds, but hilarity would ensue as the players try to maintain this useful contact, without having to have too much contact (for fear of random electric surges, muggings, losing at cards, choking on martini olives, etc.)
BitBasher
Naw, we had someone pick level three gremlins in a party where he wasnt the rigger, but he was always in the rigger's car. Not happy.
Kagetenshi
But if he doesn't drive the car, the Gremlins roll is never made for the car.

~J
BitBasher
It does when he has compulsion: Fiddle with things. Like the radio, and the turrets, and the drones in the back, and magazines lying around...
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
But if he doesn't drive the car, the Gremlins roll is never made for the car.

I'll have to disagree with that, from a canon standpoint. The gremlins flaw affects any piece of equipment the affected character touches.

QUOTE (SRC @ p.29)
Gremlins
Value: -1, -2, -3, or -4
Any equipment touched by a character with the Gremlins Flaw immediately displays an odd tendacy to malfunction.  Any time such a character handles a piece of equipment, roll 2D6.  On a result of 2, the equipment breaks down.  The severity of the failure depends on the value of the Flaw. ...

You could be a nice GM and say that a character sitting in the car who got a 'positive' gremlins check would have that particular seat break, or his seat belt, or some other sub-portion of the car. I don't see why the whole car would have to be out of whack. But you should definately be rolling for any piece of equipment that he touches that must not fail. vegm.gif
Ol' Scratch
Gremlins would affect the character, and only the character, even if he "breaks" things. He may be unable to open the car door if he tries to open it, but someone else could come along and open it just fine. Whatever the gremlined character did to it only seems to affect his own ability to open it, and whatever the minor malfunction is, it can be repaired fairly easy. Everyone else just looks at him like he's a retard.

In no way would it destroy the car or anything else as long as someone else came in to use it after him. If he tries changing the station, he'll just screw it up to the point where he can't get anything through, but the rigger can just reach over and turn the knob and it comes in crystal clear even if the knob's a little stick or the control is less precise than it was before the gremlined character touched it (and the "permanent damage" only occurs with the extreme level of the flaw). Usually the gremlined character can just smack the device and it'll work fine.

It's kinda like Marty McFly in Back to the Future whenever he gets behind the wheel of the Delorean while Doc and even Biff never seemed to have a problem.
Siege
Permit me to point out, in the initial post, he specified:

Unlucky
1-3

Which is why I included it in the mechanic.

-Siege
Large Mike

I believe that bad luck comes from Blackjacks site.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Siege)
Permit me to point out, in the initial post, he specified:

Unlucky
1-3

Which is why I included it in the mechanic.

Hush, you! We're off topic, and we like it! eek.gif
Siege
I throw that disclaimer in with this one - I agree with the first three.

It's a really, really bad idea. And a team jinx is more likely to irritate the other characters and end up on the receiving end of friendly fire.

To say nothing of the players.

-Siege
Grimtooth
Well the character that originally carried around this albatros was nicknamed the Red Headed Physad.

He was like the little boy in Jurassic park. What was his name? Timmy? Never name your kid Timmy.

Everything bad that happened, happened to THIS character. In the process of 2 years of on and off playing he lost 2 magic points. 1 to have an arm replaced by cyber. The other was an unfortunate incident with napalm.

There was also an incident where i rolled all 1's on a shot from either a shotgun or sandler TMP and i dropped it and it went off hitting and wounding a couple of teammates.

so i'm not sure if my bad luck actually spilled over to the rest of the party or if they just happened to be in the area of effect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012