Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remotely managed facilities in 2064
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
I was doing some thinking about security systems and how pervasive computers and the Matrix are in 2064. I was thinking specifically about locations like a series of warehouses or storage complexes where runners might be asked to recover goods or something of the like. More specifically about how security might look at those facilities in 2064.

I would hazard a guess that a series of warehouses wouldn't necessarily have a local compliment of armed security. I'd think sensors and alarms could accomplish the same thing, espcially if there is little to no foot traffic. Armed guards are usually to: keep folks headed in the right direction, account for a complex decision making process to where it can't be automated (at least in 2064 terms), or just not cost effective for the type of setting.

Keeping that in mind, I'd imagine security for these types of places would be remotely managed by a "central command", similar to how home security is monitored in present times. A small security force via cameras and sensors connected to the Matrix could keep tabs on larger areas and once trouble is spotted or reported, central command sends out a unit or two or maybe just Lone Star to investigate.

Even if not monitored by a remote "central command", I'd still imagine these storage areas to be linked to the Matrix so security, fire alarms, environment, could be remotely administered, like having someone "on-call". There would still be local controls, but I can see how Matrix-enabled systems would be very common in 2064, even in the more remote industrial areas. We have and do these types of things now, but 2064 would surely have more features than we do in present time.

Thinking about what a local-host connected to the Matric might look like, I doubt it would be a full-blown Red-14 host with tons of IC, of coarse degrees of paranoia are always up for debate. Perhaps the focus of the host is to generate a "passive" or an "active" alarms, maybe just dumping off-line whomever is being nosey. I am guessing some alarm would send the "on-call" decker to check things out before the goons get called in. I think an active aleart would generate some sort of response team automatically.

Control subsystems would have access to the sprinklers, lights, coffee makers, telephone system, HVAC, cameras, alarms, sensors, etc., the type of stuff you would want to remotely admin. Tying the facility systm to a local host that contains files and such makes sence too. However, seperate systems for facilities admin and local host users seems more probable to me, but I can see the ads for an "All-in-one, business-in-a-box v9.1 ...buy NOW!!" being attractive to businesses looking to cut costs and maximize features.

I know I am being very general here, but I my goal is to spur some thoguhts about how even a typical warehouse building or manufacturing building might be using the Matrix (considering its ever-presence in 2064 culture) to manage it's resources remotely.
Jason Farlander
The type of security you would encounter at a warehouse depends largely on the sorts of things that are being stored there. For weapons, chemicals, explosives, telesma, or anything sufficiently attractive to criminals, I doubt many corps would rely solely on matrix based security. Matrix systems are too easily compromised skilled . The nice thing about meatbody security is that a single skilled computer nerd cant render the whole building defenseless.

The other problem is magical security - something that can not be provided via the matrix.

Furthermore, only positioning security guards at "interesting" sites would present its own problem - it would allow anyone with basic surveillance abilities to pick out exactly which warehouses might be worth robbing. I suspect that a number of "uninteresting" sites would have meat security as well.

...of course, purely matrix-based security would probably be cheaper. So its a cost benefit sort of situation. Smaller corps might well go that route.
Hida Tsuzua
Also in my opinion many sercuity systems most likely use a closed system especially in the paranoid 2060s. This would mean that a decker would have to get on site and at a terminal to hack.
GrinderTheTroll
Furthermore, only positioning security guards at "interesting" sites would present its own problem - it would allow anyone with basic surveillance abilities to pick out exactly which warehouses might be worth robbing. I suspect that a number of "uninteresting" sites would have meat security as well.

People case places all the time and look for signs and things like this for clues as tpo where "the good stuff" is located. Why does it take armed gaurds to watch over a beat-up warehouse on the docks anyways?

As far as local security goes, yeah they probably would have local meat-bodies, but I am thinking that many places have some sort of connection to the outside world. As I mentioned, I can see security and local-host systems seperate, but they could be joined too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012