Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power Plant: RTG
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SunRunner
Hmm. Having encountered RTGs (radio-thermal generator) on the web, I am interested in writing them up as a power plant using the 'Rigger 3' template system. Any suggestions for how to proceed?

(A method of converting real-world engine statistics to Shadowrun would be nice, too, if you have a way of doing so plausibly.)
Kanada Ten
I'd make it akin to a SunCell system with Battery power plants, restricted to spacecrafts due to shielding considerations and so on.
Cray74
QUOTE (SunRunner @ Aug 27 2004, 04:20 AM)
Hmm.  Having encountered RTGs (radio-thermal generator) on the web, I am interested in writing them up as a power plant using the 'Rigger 3' template system.  Any suggestions for how to proceed?

(A method of converting real-world engine statistics to Shadowrun would be nice, too, if you have a way of doing so plausibly.)

Note that it'd be a very heavy power plant system. RTGs are not wonders of power-to-weight ratio (I think the Cassini RTGs are about 300kg per kilowatt).

I'd take the electrical battery template, halve its load capacity, and ban the effects of superconductor drive and engine customization. Of course, fuel would be a non-issue.

As for converting RL power plants, SR/R3 is annoying in that the engines are poorly detailed from a weight and horsepower aspect. Those stats, and the overall weight/performance of the vehicle, are boiled down to speed, load capacity, etc. In GURPS Vehicles, it would be very easy to convert a RL power plant, mostly because it tries hard to model RL power plants and vehicle performance (it doesn't always succeed, but if you're careful, you can model a lot of RL vehicles quite accurately). But Rigger 3 is less "grounded" (and much simpler) than GURPS Vehicles.

Any conversion from RL to R3 would be, IMO, either on the vehicle scale ("this vehicle can do 0 to 60mph in 7 seconds...so it's acceleration would be X...") or the SWAG I did above for RTGs.
Birdy
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I'd make it akin to a SunCell system with Battery power plants, restricted to spacecrafts due to shielding considerations and so on.

IIRC the Sowjets used RTG's to power some remote weather stations here on good ole earth. And who cares about shielding and mutations in SR.

Birdy
Cray74
QUOTE (Birdy)
And who cares about shielding and mutations in SR.

All them Injuns frown on the Anglos using power plants disrespectful to Mother Nature. wink.gif

IIRC the Sowjets used RTG's to power some remote weather stations here on good ole earth.

Yep, but those only needed a few hundred watts to operate.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012