Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metamagic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ancient History

Metamgical technique of Geomancy, enabling the discovery and manipulation of mana lines, as well as the discovery of potential sites of naturally occurring orichalcum. Requires Divining, Cleansing, Sensing, Astrology, Dowsing, and Gnu knows what else.

Metamagical technique used in cybermancy to enhance the magical "anchoring" of the spirit to the body.

Metamagical technique to "brace" an area, to help it resist against gaining astral pollution and a background count.

Metamagical technique(s) described as "ultra-effective centering techniques" for use with blood magic and cybermancy.

Metamagical technique similar to Invoking used to summon the WIld Hunt. May require the permanent drain of power foci.

Metamagical techniques used to create magical compounds.

Metamagical techniques of surveillance and concealment used by the Unseen.

Metamagical techniques used by Inuit and Aleut angatkuq to give tupilak ally spirits the powers of Accident and Fear.

Metamagical technique(s) that allow a being to physically move through natural earth, unknown anywhere except for the Mimis of Australia and Celedyr.

Ancient and bizarre metamagic, as well as twisted normal metamgics, used by teh Blood Mage Gestalt...to do that thing they do.

Absorbtion Like Spell Defense, but you absorb the energy of the incoming spell to pump up your next spell.

Anchoring Let's you hang spells that'll cast themselves later when triggered. Also, allows creation of Anchoring Foci.

Centering Use an artsy-fartsy skill to give your spells more power or lower drain, or make things easier magically.

Channeling Okay, you can let yourself get possessed by a Loa if you want, but I'm gonna Channel my Ally spirit, go Neo on you and Kick your ass!

Cleansing Cleans up temporary background counts.

Divining See into the future. Sorta.

Filtering Create a temporary spell matrix to overcome little things like massive astral pollution, mana warps, that sort of thing.

Invoking Call Great Form spirits. Impress your friends.

Masking Hide your aura. Hide your foci links.

Movement Some totems, you can learn this as a metamagical power.

Possessing Scout around on the astral, see somebody else astrally perceiving, and take up residence for a little while.

Psychometry Feel the impressions left from people touching things.

Quickening Permanently attach a spell.

Reflecting Like spell defense, but you can bounce the guy's spell back at him.

Sacrificing Blood magic: power spells, lower drain, summon blood spirits.

Sensing Feel the astral for miles around.

Severing To dispose of those nasty material links and do reverse ritual magic.

Shared Potency Lotsa suckers: one shadow spirit. Whatcha gonna do? Share the Potency!

Shielding Initiated Spell Defense. Make Shielding Foci.

Symbolic Linking Use a picture, voodoo doll, t-shirt, anything to use ritual magic on someone. May make symbolic link foci.

Tattoo Magic A version of Quickening, where you Enchant the inks and tattoo somebody and quicken the spell to the tattoo.

John Campbell
QUOTE (Ancient History)

That's right, folks, there are Battlemechs with designs taken from Macross and other anime using metamagical techniques to move amongst us!
Ancient History
Smartass. Go read Corporate Download.
Ancient History
This reminds me: forgot to include Channeling Foci.
Velocity
Once again AH, you address to impress... smile.gif Any canonical page references for these inspiring tidbits?

Oh, and thanks by the by... I think I just came up with my PCs' next few runs...
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Velocity)
Once again AH, you address to impress... smile.gif Any canonical page references for these inspiring tidbits?

Well, I can direct you to which metamagics (some of them, anyway) are in which book (no pages since I have no books on hand).

Blood Mage Gestalt metamagic - Threats (Blood Mage Gestalt)
Absorption - SOTA: 2063
Anchoring - MitS
Centering - Ditto
Channeling - Target: Awakened Lands
Cleansing - MitS
Divining - MitS
Filtering - SOTA: 2063
Invoking - MitS
Masking - MitS
Movement - MitS (Horse Shamans can learn it.)
Possessing - MitS
Psychometry - SOTA: 2063
Quickening - MitS
Reflecting - MitS
Sacrificing - MitS/Aztlan
Severing - SOTA: 2063
Shielding - MitS
Symbolic Linking - SOTA: 2063
Tattoo Magic - MitS
Cybermantic Technique - M&M
Unseen Technique - Corporate Download (check the Ares section)
Move through Earth - Dragons of the Sixth World
Ancient History
Actually, Move Through Earth was first documented in Target: Awakened Lands, unless you want to get real technical and say the London Sourcebook, but that gets dicey.

Metamgical technique of Geomancy, enabling the discovery and manipulation of mana lines, as well as the discovery of potential sites of naturally occurring orichalcum. Requires Divining, Cleansing, Sensing, Astrology, Dowsing, and Gnu knows what else.

First mentioned in Portfolio of A Dragon, expanded in year of the Comet, wake of the Comet, Target: Awakened Lands and SOTA 63.

Metamagical technique used in cybermancy to enhance the magical "anchoring" of the spirit to the body.

Man and Machine

Metamagical technique to "brace" an area, to help it resist against gaining astral pollution and a background count.

Dragons of the Sixth World

Metamagical technique(s) described as "ultra-effective centering techniques" for use with blood magic and cybermancy.

Man and Machine.

Metamagical technique similar to Invoking used to summon the WIld Hunt. May require the permanent drain of power foci.

Magic in the Shadows

Metamagical techniques used to create magical compounds.

Man and Machine...y'know, I have no idea if this is one technique for all Compoundds or one technique per compound. I'd bet the latter.

Corp Download, GM section, Ares

Metamagical techniques used by Inuit and Aleut angatkuq to give tupilak ally spirits the powers of Accident and Fear.

Target: Wastelands

Ancient and bizarre metamagics, as well as twisted normal metamgics, used by teh Blood Mage Gestalt...to do that thing they do.

Threats 1, of course of course. BMG section.

KosherPickle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Actually, Move Through Earth was first documented in Target: Awakened Lands, unless you want to get real technical and say the London Sourcebook, but that gets dicey.

I think T:AL is far enough back.

I missed Sensing and Shared Potency. Where are those? (It's amazing how many I did know!)
Phylos Fett
notworthy.gif AH notworthy.gif
Ancient History
Danke, Sith Lord.

Sensing's from T:AL; Shared Potency is in Threats 2.
Kage2020
Completely unrelated except that I was thinking about Masking the other day and reading the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books, but is there a metamagical technique which allows 'inversion' of a spell such that it cannot be 'seen' in the astral plane?

(As always, apologies if I'm posting this question inappropriately...)

Kage
Frag-o Delux
I don't know how true it is. Seeing that it is not on the list, but my GM says the Tir Ghosts' have a power to let them walk through walls and stuff, not just solid earth. So is it a power no one remembers, or just something the GM misinterpreted or made up to make us fear them?
Ancient History
GM made up. There is no such reference to any such ability in any English-language Shadowrun work.

As for Masking spells...I dinnae think you can. The best ye could do is hide the connections between Quickened and Anchored spells you cast and you...and even then I think they could get your astral signature.
snowRaven
Actually, Ancient History, I recall a mention somewhere of rumors that some people had magical techniques for passing through walls, and something else...

I am not 100% certain it was canon, though, but if it was, it was a post in a shadowland document or uch...
Ancient History
If you ever think of it, let me know...say, it wasn't in one of the issues of Shadowland, was it?
Frag-o Delux
If Shadowland is the thing Adam makes, no. My GM doesn't have a computer and if there is something on the computer that is brought to his attention it is through me so I would know if it was there. He said it was in one of the books. He will not tell me where, I guess he fells he needs to hide it from me. I don't read the GM section in any of the books, or any of the adventures. So as far as I know it is in one of the adventures. I am just curious as to wether it exsists or not. If he invented it cool, if it is a canon metamagic, I am just wondering if a PC can learn it.
Ancient History
No, "White Jesus" Adam makes TSS. Shadowland was Ye Olde Shadowrunne Magazine under the aegis of FASA, most memorable for having the rules for Powered Armor.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Kage2020)
Completely unrelated except that I was thinking about Masking the other day and reading the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books, but is there a metamagical technique which allows 'inversion' of a spell such that it cannot be 'seen' in the astral plane?

(As always, apologies if I'm posting this question inappropriately...)

Kage

I believe you can mask spells up to a total force equal to your Grade. Check MitS, it does say one way or the other. And if you have a very nice GM you could use a Masking Focus...

Ancient History 
Channeling Okay, you can let yourself get possessed by a Loa if you want, but I'm gonna Channel my Ally spirit, go Neo on you and Kick your ass!

Never even occurred to me to use Channeling with Three Dimensional Movement; thanks, Ancient.
Ancient History
's all a matter of perspective.
Bartholomäus
@ Snow Raven

It is in Target: Awakened Lands (cant get it at the moment) IIRC something about an Elf who guards? a cave, and "stood there, just like he walked right thru the walls".

Someone said to me, it is a Adept power from ED.

By the way: what about this Power Armor thing biggrin.gif. Not that I want one cool.gif

Well just in case.....
snowRaven
Bartholomäus - no, that was not it - I had completely missed that reference in T:AL

This is older - possibly SR2...

Ancient History - I'll try to look into it, see what I can dig up. And no, I doubt it was in Shadowlands or Ka•Ge - at first I thought it might be Mr.Kenson's article obn the Darmeo, but that wasn't it.
Raptor1033
never mind this post, i'll start a new topic for it
Frag-o Delux
The passing throught wall thing is not in T:AL my GM hasn't even read it yet. And I know it is not in anything but FASA/Fanpro thing because my GM doesn't have any of that stuff. I am still trying to get to reveal his source.
Green Eyed Monster
Kanada Ten
Ancient History 

Never even occurred to me to use Channeling with Three Dimensional Movement; thanks, Ancient.

Wouldn't that use up all the ally's remaining services, effectively setting it free?
Ancient History
Ally's are bound, and those do not owe services. So you can channel at will. Booyah! Same goes for bound free spirits.
Shadowboxer
I also remeber reading somewhere, that there is a rumor about a technique to walk through walls, but I can't remember where....
but it wasnt in a Shadowland magazine, for sure.

*goes off and looks through his books*
tisoz
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Ally's are bound, and those do not owe services.  So you can channel at will.  Booyah!  Same goes for bound free spirits.

I'd say that allies and bound free spirits owe infinite services. Unless it is explicitly stated somewhere, channelling either type spirit just freed it from doing any more service for you.
Ancient History
Then I'd suppose we'll have to agree to diasagree, becaue I don't see their actions limitied by any number of "services" (eve an infinite number), so you can Channel them at will.
Fortune
QUOTE (tisoz)
I'd say that allies and bound free spirits owe infinite services.  Unless it is explicitly stated somewhere, channelling either type spirit just freed it from doing any more service for you.

I'd disagree with this as well. I don't recall anything in canon connecting 'services' with either of these Spirit types.

As both of these could perform the equivalent of 'Remote Service' without the limitations placed on regular Spirits, this would seem to infer that they are not restricted in the same fashion as the others.
tisoz
Then what do you call the thing they are doing when you order them to do something? I call it a service, or some synonym. The synonym isn't to try to avoid the concept of servitude.

Being bound does make them different from other spirits, but they are still providing services for you.

I don't like the idea of channelling a spirit that is always at hand and that doesn't disappear after the channelling. It's too much of a freebie.
Herald of Verjigorm
Can we get the exact wording as relates to this debate? It will make it easier to argue whether this power is useless/expensive for hermetics.
tisoz
Once the time of the channeling is up, or the initiate voluntarily chooses to end it, the spirit departs back to the metaplanes, its service to the Initiate concluded (regardless of how many services the initiate had left when he channeled it).

I think. twirl.gif
phelious fogg
Then ally spirts and bound free spirits would take a day to get back from the metaplanes as though they were banished wouldnt they?
Fortune
QUOTE (tisoz)
Being bound does make them different from other spirits, but they are still providing services for you.

I don't like the idea of channelling a spirit that is always at hand and that doesn't disappear after the channelling. It's too much of a freebie.

But, as I said earlier, when a normal Spirit performs a Remote Service for the summoner, all his remaining services are lost. This does not happen with Allies and/or Free Spirits. With a lack of any other evidence, this is a relatively good correlation.
tisoz
So the ally or free spirit is still bound, but could care less what you order it to do. It doesn't owe you any more service. You are just building up animosity until the day it goes truly free and takes its vengeance.
Fortune
I'm thinking that would be punishment enough. Is there any mention of whether Spirits actively dislike an Initiate's use of Channeling though? There was an old rule in Sr1 (& 2?) about causing an Elemental pain by using a certain service (taking Drain for the Mage, IIRC), but I don't recall this being mentioned for the Channeling Metamagic.
tisoz
I think you misunderstood what I posted.

Essentially the spirit is still bound when you are finished channelling it, but it isn't going to do any more services for you. You are wasting your time ordering it to do anything. The spirit will just get mad at being bound for no reason.
Fortune
QUOTE (tisoz)

Essentially the spirit is still bound when you are finished channelling it, but it isn't going to do any more services for you. You are wasting your time ordering it to do anything. The spirit will just get mad at being bound for no reason.

Then once again I'd have to disagree. The Spirit is bound to the summoner. He can use it as a sex slave, or have it lick the boots of every bum in Redmond if he so chose, and the Spirit would have no say in the matter. Now if the Spirit ever went free (or even had the chance to do so), that is where the penalty for abuse would show itself.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Shadowboxer)
I also remeber reading somewhere, that there is a rumor about a technique to walk through walls, but I can't remember where....

May have been in the little Ninja section of the Underworld sourcebook? That sounds something like them. Although I don't think you could do it per se, and balance-wise it would be a nightmare, vampires do have that nifty turn to mist power so it's not completely beyond the scope of things if you wanted to house rule it.
Ancient History
I Beseech the Gods of the SR FAQ to give us a Canon ruling on this.
Raptor1033
if you're talkin about the same ninja section i'm thinking of they didn't introduce anything new. they basically talked about the myth of ninjas and about a new group of ninjas that only let trogs in and they talk about how scary it is when a troll sneaks up behind you
tisoz
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Sep 3 2003, 09:31 PM)

Essentially the spirit is still bound when you are finished channelling it, but it isn't going to do any more services for you.  You are wasting your time ordering it to do anything.  The spirit will just get mad at being bound for no reason.

Then once again I'd have to disagree. The Spirit is bound to the summoner. He can use it as a sex slave, or have it lick the boots of every bum in Redmond if he so chose, and the Spirit would have no say in the matter. Now if the Spirit ever went free (or even had the chance to do so), that is where the penalty for abuse would show itself.

Wouldn't the spirit just say, "Frag off, I don't owe you anymore services."

Really it wouldn't even be bound anymore. There would be no reason for the spirit to hang around. The only way the mage could get it to appear is by using its true name, which should lead to the mages quick demise.

The more I think about it the more I see it as setting it free. Being bound means it is forced to perform services. Channelling frees it from any further services.

So go lick some bums yourself.
Ancient History
I think we should not argue over this, as the situation is murky.

On the one hand, Ally and Free Spirits, when bound, provide the owner with access to their abilities for potentially forever.

On the other hand, the Channelling metamagic DOES state that it uses up all of the spirit's remaining services.

I submit that a definative ruling cannot be achieved here. So we should bug someone at fanpro to answer our question for us.
FlakJacket
Go with Fogg's. Looks like the best so far.
Frag-o Delux
About the walking through walls thing.

Underworld source book, p 96 under Ninjas, third paragraph. Some ninja magicians are rumored to know spells that allow them to walk on water and pass through solid walls.

That is all I can find so far but, even thought it sounds promissing I was told it was a metamagic that the Tir Ghost's know. I'll keep searching
Darkest Angel
A freebie, at a minimum [worthwhile] cost of 30 karma (and the rest if you want to keep it happy), for something you can only do for a couple of turns before passing out? You don't even get immunity to normal weapons while you're doing it since Allies can't be great forms.

Imho getting a great form nature spirit and channeling that is a lot nastier, and a whole lot cheaper, not to mention likely more powerful.

This is besides the point though, getting back on topic, I believe there's a metamagic in the Harlequin saga that allows you to put things (including your body) in astral space.
Ancient History
In a word: no. At least, that was way back when things just happened and they didn't tell you how. But I'm still betting spell or adept ability as opposed to metamagic.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
...the Channelling metamagic DOES state that it uses up all of the spirit's remaining services.

And yet the description of Remote Service states the same thing for normal Spirits, but that does not apply to Allies or Free Spirits.

It is murky, and I for one would never Channel my Ally. As Darkest Angel said, it'd be better to just summon a Great Form Nature Spirit for this purpose.
TinkerGnome
Do you really want to channel something that has a vested interest in seeing you cut loose the mortal coil?
snowRaven
As for the metamagical technique of creating magical compounds...

My version of that technique only requires one technique - to actually mae the different compounds you need enchanting skill, as well as the approperiate botany and parabotany skills, plus the additional Magical Compounds skill. That one works similar to a combo of magic background/spell design. All skills are necessary in order to know what effect to acheive(Magical Compounds), which plants and herbs to use to acheive those(Magical Compounds/Talismongering/Parabotany/Botany), what the plants and herbs look like and where to find them(Botany/Parabpotany/Talismongering), how to prepare them (Magical Compounds/Enchanting), and to actually do it correctly(Enchanting/Metamagical technique).

Think of it as with Invoking - you don't need one technique for each spirit type. For compounds you need only one technique, but you won't know any compounds that aren't from your tribe - you could learn them, but being granted that trust should be an accomplishment few could ever hope to acheive...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012