Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Maybe I just missed it............
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nomad
.....but does anyone know the conversion rate for Nuyen to Euros?
Nath
I think it might well be not be written anywhere in SoE. However the previous German books (though the old Germany Sourcebook referred to ECU instead) fixed the rate around 1€=1¥.
Synner
There was meant to be a small table with the most important exchange rates in the NEEC section (near the European Central Bank entry) which was misplaced during drafting (probably my fault). NMAth is correct, Euro to Nuyen is 1€=1¥. with minor fluctuation.
MYST1C
Other conversion rates from the old German books:

1 Nuyen equals...
... 2 German Mark (DM)
... 0,5 Swiss Franken
otaku mike
QUOTE (M¥$T1C @ Aug 28 2004, 05:28 PM)
1 Nuyen equals...
... 0,5 Swiss Franken

aka "Swiss Franc" in English or "Franc Suisse" in French.
Young Freud
QUOTE (Nomad)
.....but does anyone know the conversion rate for Nuyen to Euros?

Pardon, bu I was led to belive that Nuyen was a worldwide standard currency? Of course, the only reference to this is in the 1st edition BBB.
Nath
QUOTE (Young Freud)
Pardon, bu I was led to belive that Nuyen was a worldwide standard currency? Of course, the only reference to this is in the 1st edition BBB.

Since, various references came to contradict this, the first being I think the Neo-Anarchist Guide to North America (1991?) who gave rate for UCAS dollar and Québec Nouveau Franc. Nuyen is still accepted in most places, including Western Europe.
Synner
I'd really like to see that quote since I believe that is one of the more common misconceptions about SR. I fail to recall at any point 1st Edition books saying that the nuyen was exclusive or universal.

IIRC The nuyen has always been treated like the dollar today (ie. "a worldwide standard currency" - which does not make it exclusive or universally accepted) and in fact numerous 1st edition books (such as NAGNA and London) reference other currencies and exchange rates.

Returning to SoE in particular, the book especifically states (in relevant country stat boxes) that the nuyen is also widely accepted as valid tender through out Europe and explains countries where this is not the case - the British example for instance is a holdover from 1st Edition - which in fact makes its use more widespread and commonplace than today's dollar.
Abstruse
The nuyen is issued by the Corporate Court and, as such, is considered the world standard currency. Many governments still issue their own currency, but there are a lot of nations that don't.

The Abstruse One
Young Freud
QUOTE (Synner)
I'd really like to see that quote since I believe that is one of the more common misconceptions about SR. I fail to recall at any point 1st Edition books saying that the nuyen was exclusive or universal.

Sure. After looking at the other editions I own, the comment appears in them, too.

QUOTE ("Big Blue Book @ 1st edition, page 51")
All Archetypes receive a credstick with a balance of 3D6x1000 nuyen.gif , or nuyen, the worldwide standard currency.

QUOTE ("Big Black Book @ 2nd edition, page 46")
In the world of the 2050s, all money conforms to an international unit of exchange, the nuyen,  (nuyen.gif), Nuyen is used to purchase cyberware, gear, extras, and to pay the monetary cost of foci.

QUOTE ("Big Black Book @ 3rd edition, page 9")
Megacorporations have become the new world superpowers, a law unto themselves. The entire planet speaks their language, as nuyen has become the global monetary standard.
Kanada Ten
Standard means the measure of all others. Gold was the standard at one point, but not everyone used it buy things. The nuyen is the base currency against which all others are compared, not their replacement.
Abstruse
...though the UCAS, CAS, TT, CFS, several of the NA nations, most of Asia, and at least a couple of European countries use the nuyen either as a replacement or as an alternative to local currencies. TT, for example, even issues hard currency nuyen.

BTW, gold was used in transactions when the gold standard was in place. Most general stores in the west had scales and equipment to take gold from miners as payment rather than greenbacks.

The Abstruse One
Kanada Ten
...gold was used in transactions when the gold standard was in place. Most general stores in the west had scales and equipment to take gold from miners as payment rather than greenbacks.

I would bet that's why I said 'not everyone used it' instead of 'no one used it,' eh?

In the UCAS, only Seattle has replaced the Dollar with the nuyen, though nuyen is accepted almost everywhere as any standard currency would be.
Synner
Thanks Freud, those quotes, especifically the second and third, corroborate my point. Abtruse and Kanada Ten pretty reiterated it in a clearer form. At no point do the books say that the nuyen is a universal or exclusive currency, just the "international unit of exchange" (like the dollar today) or the "global monetary standard" (like gold was in the Middle Ages and the dollar is today)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012