Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: History Lesson
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TimeKeeper
Wow.... my my. This placed has changed. You know back when I first joined, this place was sill the Deep Resonance. Then there was the switch, back in 92/93 to the Mold/Pea soup/puke green message boards. Then 2 years later to the Blue/grey motif. Then came the start of my military career. Now I'm back from a short stint on the ShadowRN mailing list. Things have really changed.

Anyway, enough about me...

How many of you are old enough to have a 1st or 2nd Ed BBB?

Which history lesson do you perfer? Breif overview (a la 3rd Ed) or Text Book (previous entries

Personally, I prefer the book. I just feel like that in trying to get eveything covered, they left out alot. Anyone else feel the same?

Ancient History
You're speaking to someone who owns the books. All of 'em.
The_Sarge
So... Then answer his question, already, old man! wink.gif

I myself started with SR2 and have to say that I, too, like the old approach better. (I also like the one page per item catalouges better, because they just had more style I don't give a frag about paying for something I like. So, I don't see the benefit of getting more gear/cyberware/whatever for my money when all this Shadowtalk and style went the way of the dodo... *sniffs*)
Buzzed
Yup. Seems everyone is trying to conform to the Fisher Price XP look nowadays. Even the TV guide channel.
Fortune
QUOTE (TimeKeeper)

And then some! smile.gif
Ezra
Deep Resonance. Back when the world was brown, and EVERYTHING else was black and white! biggrin.gif

Second Ed rocked. Period.
Third Ed is growing on me now though.
Lucyfersam
I started at the very beginning of SR2, and I've got to agree, I like the old style for the books better, I miss all the shadowtalk about the gear. Although I'm pretty sure several of my current players, who just started, prefer to get all the extra gear. On the other hand, that's why I still own the vast majority of the books from 2nd ed (although not as many as Ancient History, as I'm short a few runs and most of the fiction). I still regularly reference some of the old books for the flavor text, Fields of Fire and Awakenings being 2 that spring to mind.
Turtle
QUOTE (TimeKeeper)

Good thing you didn't ask about older stuff rotfl.gif It's always so damn embarassing..although I have the impression I'm finally in a group of gamers where I'm not the oldest, which is really nice for a change.

I'm just teaching some guys and gals the ropes on Shadowrun, although it's my personal brand of 1st Edition, read "heavily houseruled". And it shapes up to be a lot of fun biggrin.gif

About paying more for a bit more flavour...I wouldn't mind either...but apparently they are separating between gear/rules books and flavour books nowadays much more than they did "back then" sarcastic.gif nuyen.gif
Turtle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
You're speaking to someone who owns the books. All of 'em.

Yeah, but did you buy them all the day they hit the stores? grinbig.gif
Ancient History
<mumble, mumble> Most of 'em.
Turtle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
<mumble, mumble> Most of 'em.

Echo that, Ancient smile.gif
Boondocker
I've got all the books, too. I think I like the history chapter in the 3rd Ed. book the best. All in all, I'm more impressed with the newer books than the older ones. Lot of empty space in those older books, and a lot of text that really made the eyes glaze over if you weren't in the mood to learn about genetics or economics. Dont' even get me started on the 'place' books like the Seattle Sourcebook or Tir Na N'Og... too much info on all the wrong things.
Ancient History
Jaysis, Tir na nOg...like 50 pages on tourist spots...

Amd why, WHY can people not understand that you have to SPECIFY which type of Spirit a Spirit Focus is for!? It's not that damn hard!
Cray74
I was into FASA products (Battletech) before SR released and since I was getting FASA catalogues, I've got a first edition, first printing copy of Shadowrun. Been into FASA/Wizkid/Fanpro products approaching 17 years now.
Fortune
QUOTE (Turtle)
Yeah, but did you buy them all the day they hit the stores?

I did, from the day SR1 hit the shelves of the store I was working in back in '89! biggrin.gif
TimeKeeper
A little more info about me, I just recently picked up a 1st ed BBB while overseas (first printing too), while my ex has my old 2nd Ed book (Don't think I'm getting it back). I've been running (characters and games) for about 7 to 9 years.

Have a lot of the old books (VR 1.0, That Bug book, MM). None of the old Magic books though.

BTW, I'm 23.

Abstruse
I started a little after 2nd Ed came out when I was 12 years old. That gives me 11 years of Shadowrun experience. I like the older books better, but I also like the fonts and style of the talkbacks the newer ones have (though I miss the timestamps)

The Abstruse One
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012