Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rules questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
jimmy_mike
Hallo to everyone. I am a new shadowrun player, new in this forum and have some questions concerning the rules of the game:
1. In cybercombat, when using the attack program, what is the number of dice rolled?
2. In cybercombat, what is the power and damage level when attacking with the killjoy or black hammer programs?
3. What is the essence and money cost when purchasing a single eye enhancement for one eye only?
4. What is the maximum amount of active memory a cyberdeck can hold? Storage memory?
5. When decking inside a host/system with a false account, does the decker provokes security tests and rise a security tally?
Bigity
1) For the attack? Computer Skill + Hacking Pool. Damage is the damage rating of the program (L, M, S, D) and the power is the rating.
2) Not sure
3) I know there is a rule somewhere, but dang if I can remember where.
4) No limit on active memory or storage memory
5) It's kind of fuzzy. If it's a system operation the fake account is clear for, then I don't think so. If, for example, a normal user account is faked then used to execute a system crash operation, security tally would be added.
Cold-Dragon
1)answered
2)check the sections on those programs specifically and see how they function, that might give a clue.

Otherwise I think they use system ratings for their attacking, as they're programs designed for hosts, not neccessarily for decking (though I'm no expert, so mind that).

3)Normally, you don't do a single eye because the compatibility of one eye to a cyber one is twitchy, causing problems (especially since all eyes are 20/20). However, just rule it's half price, half essence. But likewise the essence perk is .25 too (or none at all even).

4)answered
5)Unless it's a clearly 'valid' account (not fake) there's always a risk for tally. Just have the system first run tests against the false account, once it succeeds in realizing the forgery, set it up some tallies or something as normal.

just my opinions/observations.
Cain
3. What is the essence and money cost when purchasing a single eye enhancement for one eye only?

see p. 44, M&M. Basically, it costs 60% of base.

mfb
1) incorrect. when making an attack in cybercombat, you roll the rating of your attack program + hacking pool. sounds weird, but it's right there on page 226 of the BBB, second sentence under Resolving Attacks.

2) the power is equal to the program rating, and the damage code is based on the Host Security Code--use the IC Damage Table on pg 224 of the BBB.

5) it depends on what you're doing. look up account types in Matrix (i don't have that book with me, or i'd give you a page number). depending on what type of fake account you've created, certain actions will not require tests to complete, and therefore will not rack up any security tally when you do them. higher-level accounts (security, admin) require more difficult tests to fake, but offer more free operations.
Bigity
QUOTE (mfb)
1) incorrect. when making an attack in cybercombat, you roll the rating of your attack program + hacking pool. sounds weird, but it's right there on page 226 of the BBB, second sentence under Resolving Attacks.

Hm, I believe I have been doing that wrong for about 3 years then. Wow. So what is the point of DINAB on an attack program then?
mfb
i guess it's easier than loading it into a frame, maybe.
Zeel De Mort
Well regardless of how an attack program works, you still need the DINAB option at at least 1 to start it running as a free action.

In the case of Attack programs, if you're rolling their rating for the attack test (which we don't do, I think it's a dumb rule) then the DINAB rating is less important than with most other utilities. However it still matters for when the DINAB fails an attack test and the like.
Bigity
Yea, for attacks you just throw 1 point DINAB on it and you can go with three attacks in a round. Useful for IC, but maybe even worse against other deckers, if they use up HP and Karma on the first two attacks.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Bigity @ Aug 28 2004, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 28 2004, 03:55 PM)
1) incorrect. when  making an attack in cybercombat, you roll the rating of your attack program + hacking pool. sounds weird, but it's right there on page 226 of the BBB, second sentence under Resolving Attacks.

Hm, I believe I have been doing that wrong for about 3 years then. Wow. So what is the point of DINAB on an attack program then?

Actually, the answer is both. Check the Idiot's Guide to the Matrix Thread for a discussion of the different interpretations of the rules. I go with rolling your computer skill because that was the way I read it the first time.

Edit: Here's a start of the discussion about how to use attack utilities in the other thread.
Dashifen
Actually, that was a bad link to only a few posts. It's 1:00am where I am so I'll try to find the thread I was thinking about after a few hours sleep.
Moon-Hawk
I asked 1 and 2 to the SR developers at GenCon last year.
#1, the sentence in the BBB is extremely ambiguous and can be read either way, but the developers intend that you roll your computer skill, just like every other program. They also admitted that the sentence in question was bad.
#2, they all got really confused, muttered amongst themselves for a couple minutes, and then eventually decided that the damage is determined by the host rating just like IC.
Edward
Your question 3 is a little confusing. I am interpreting it 2 ways and answering based on man and machine page 44 eyes, single cyber eyes and single-eye accessories.

If you want to install a modification that should be in 2 eyes in 1 eye (eg thermographic vision) you reduce the essence cost by 25% (*0.75) I would assume you reduce the cost by 40% (*0.6) same as a single cyber eye.

Accessories such as a camera are always installed in one eye (or parts in each to balance essence load) the listed price and essence assumes you only have one. If you want to have a camera in each eye (in case one is damaged perhaps) pay the cost for each. The vision magnification system is an exception in that they are a 2-eye accessory that works at (almost) full ability if installed in only one eye.

This is contrary to Cold-Dragon’s advice but it is what is stated in MM.

Edward
Bigity
Another question added to the mix.

6) Shield Utility: works against standard attack programs, hog, erosion, black hammer, etc attacks as well?
Kagetenshi
Black Hammer and Killjoy have damage based on the host, like IC. My interpretation is that the utility induces the host to cause feedback rather than trying to cause it on the deck.

~J
mfb
6) yes.
Demon_Bob
Can anyone explain how Healing with Medical Assistance as mentioned on page 127 & 128 of the Shadowrun 3 book is supposed to work?
Kagetenshi
My interpretation is that those are simply modifiers that apply to the healing roll—if you pay for a doctor, you get bonuses, if not you get penalties. The doctor doesn't actually roll anything.

~J
Demon_Bob
Kinda what I thought at first.

But a Mage with a Body of 4 and a Will of 7 under a Doctors supervision but not in the hospital gets a +1 TN. Which is not as good as just buying the approprite lifestyle for a bit and healing up yourself.

Hospital Normal care would give you a -1 TN for 100 nuyen.gif to 200 nuyen.gif per day.

Same Mage in Long term Magical care or Intensive Care would get a -3 TN for 500 nuyen.gif a day!

Add in quick healer and target number for a Serious wound become 5 or 2 for the wound level. 1.3 or 2.6 average hits. Cost and time = 15 days & 3077 nuyen.gif or 7 days and 3846 nuyen.gif .

Then from moderate to Light with Hospital stay would be about 385 nuyen.gif and 3 days if his target # was 2.

Correct?

Still cheaper than buying a High lifestyle for 20 days at 6500 nuyen.gif .
Kagetenshi
Well, I don't think you'd leave out the modifiers on the table just because you weren't under a doctor's supervision—IMO you'd still get both +2 TNs, for a net +4 doing it the free way.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012