Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mountain bike
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
Mountain bike

I want a mountain bike for my SR character. Modern equivalent would be a light alloy frame 28 speed mountain bike with front and rear shocks. Ticket price $AU500 ($US300) a fit and skilled rider can hit speeds of 60km/h on the flat and sustain 40km/h for a day.

What would be the equivalent in 2063? Game mechanics?

Edward
Bigity
Um, the Thundercloud Pinto?
KillaJ
Game mechanics?

How about a +1 TN to all social interactions with other shadowtypes who see you riding a bike to the run. wink.gif
prettz
That's nothing I got a Troll runner who uses a Dodge Scoot on runs. I let him 'cause its funny.
FrostyNSO
I had a team that carried skateboards in their packs...just in case.
Edward
What’s wrong with taking a bicycle on a run?

It is unobtrusive, legal faster than any other non motorised transport and can legally use cycle ways, foot bridges and other such conveniences. It bypasses traffic jams better than a motor bike. Is not legally required to carry a transponder or have licence plates. Also many train systems allow bikes on trains (at least Perth dose and that is where this game is)

Net effect. Your transport to and from the run will not be noted on any computer system (any more than if you walked) there is no chance of being piked up for something wrong with your vehicle and you can out run any pursuit that can use the same paths you can.

Also it makes a very convenient mode of transport for somebody living a low lifestyle (or worse) that doesn’t want to have to use public transport all the time (in many arias it is unwise or unavailable at certain times of day) when on a run you only ride to where you meet the teem (or near by so they don’t see your bike) and then take the teams transport.

Edward
prettz
Well the biggest disadvantage I can think of is equipnment. Your stuck with only the equipnment that you can hide unless you want the local Star stopping you for have the Panther Cannon on your back riding down the street.
KillaJ
QUOTE (Edward)
What’s wrong with taking a bicycle on a run?

I dont really think that there is anything wrong with it, I apologize if I pissed you off. I was just trying to give you a hard time.
FrostyNSO
We had this idiot who insisted on bringing his polearm everywhere he went, so he'd roll down the window and carry it with his arm hanging outside the car.

Did anybody ever have their bus driver tell them to keep their arms in the bus...SMACK! Hello cyber-replacement arm.
The Question Man
QUOTE (Edward)
Mountain bike

I want a mountain bike for my SR character. Modern equivalent would be a light alloy frame 28 speed mountain bike with front and rear shocks. Ticket price $AU500 ($US300) a fit and skilled rider can hit speeds of 60km/h on the flat and sustain 40km/h for a day.

What would be the equivalent in 2063? Game mechanics?

Edward

You could do it one of several ways.

Take a page From Man & Machine CyberSkates and extrapolate.

Use the Rigger sourcebook and extrapolate from Motorcycles.

Take into acount Quickness and Athletics.

Steal "Smart Wheels" from the novel "Snow Crash"

Watch some extreme Mountain Biking vids.

Look into Police and Security Training for Bicycle Patrol (Combat uses).

A little Jousting

Bicycle Couriers may still exist in 2063.

Great for Border Crossings and Stealth entry into remote areas.

Bike Tricks or Stunts

Etc...

It's a great idea, but where to start???

Cheers

QM

P.S.: A Bicycle Courier Bag may not coneal a Panther Assault Cannon, but would allow a explosives expert to glid through rush hour grid lock and slap an explosive chare to the targets side door. Depending on the skill and materials available you could put a Panther Assault Cannon to shame. Not to mention you can take short cuts to evade pursuit on a mountain bike that you can't on a scooter, car, or van.
It's relatively inexpensive and can be cast away if it's inconvienent.

Heh Prettz, I don't think your troll on a Scooter could survive going down a moving escalator, stairs, or other rough terrain and still take off on the flats.

skipprjoe
the counter to the legal offender on bike: lonestar motorcycle police. they'll getcha every time
Eismann
Hm... there are some bikes in the german Rigger 3.
Edward
KillaJ. You didn’t piss me off. Indeed there are many shadow runners that would see you on a mountain bike and think you where a bit silly. I appreciate the comment in the spirit it was meant. Answering the question after would have been nice but you may well not have an answer.

Cyber skates are listed in one of the books but there is no price for A non-cyber pare of roller-skates witch I assume would have all the same benefits and penalties. Of cause you cant get them on and of nearly as fast.

I have never seen stats for skateboards mentioned by FrostyNSO but I would assume not dissimilar to skates.

In fact I don’t think there is any detail on muscle powered movement other than walk/run and cyber skates in the game.

I cant manage to find any non motorised bikes in R3 or dentales for a nul power plant on the power plants table (beyond trailers witch then cant move)

I would use vehicle rules with speeds and fatigue rates being determined similarly to athletics.

You have 2 speed ratings. Quick 3 witch can be sustained for as long as walking and quick*10 witch can be sustained as long as running. You can exceed the max run speed with appropriate athletics tests as with running. The vehicle doses not risk stress (it is capable of far greater speeds than the meta-human body can ever push it to). At the GMs discretion you can get greater speed going down hill. When exceeding your base running speed your take handling penalties as a vehicle. Acceleration is your quickness and you use athletics (bike) as your pilot skill (you can default to motorbike but you must use athletics or body if you want to exed the max speed)

The handling starts at 3/8 for a road bike and 4/4 or an off road frame it can benefit from improved suspension and possibly other handling improvements at the GMs discretion.

Bikes have body 0 and no armour. There signature is 6 (as a meta human) and may be improved but there is little point a the meta-human on top of it has sig 6.

A bicycle cannot have auto nav pilot or sensors.

Seating is 1 economy and fuel are not relevant.

It is a complex action to get of but a athletics (bike) check target 5 will reduce this to a simple action.

Edward
prettz
Well all scooters are dual powered, at least the pictures of them in Rigger 3 show it.
Corporate Raider
The Dodge Scoot does not have dual movement stats in the current edition. Per SR1's Rigger Black Book, however, it and the Papoose Scooter did have a pedal top speed of 21 meters/turn (about 25kph). The Scoot "cruised" at a blistering 5 m/t (6kph)!

These must've been pretty heavy scooters to have top speeds that slow. nyahnyah.gif
prettz
The picture of the Dodge Scoot and the Entertainment Systems Papoose (Rigger 3, page 160) both look llike they have pedals and chain in them, but their is no stats for petaling the bike so I don't know.
Nemo
There are Stats for Bikes in the German Version of the Rigger 3, but I don't have it, sorry
Edward
My rigger 3 doesn’t even have pictures of those models.

Edward
lodestar
The biggest problem I see with a bicycle is where do you put it so it doesn't get stolen? I mean I doubt you could sneak it passed many corp-sec types, and if it would be considered a piece of gear that you might take with you on elevators, up stairs, etc it would be a bit awkward to have with the exceptions of getting to or from. And as fast as a cybered or magicked person might be on a bicycle, I can't see its acceleration rating being higher than any of the motorized vehicles presented. Not to mention to really take advantage of the bicycle the character in question had better have a pretty high skill with it, excellent endurance and not be packing much by the way of gear (could you imagine trying to bike with a secure jacket on?) Lastly unless you're entire team is on bicycles the advantages it profers on a run are only for you. A motorcycle can at least take one passenger if necessary.
kylleran
Here are those stats from the German Rigger 3 for mountain bikes. Some day we'll get these up on the website with the other vehicles from that book....sigh....
Anywho enjoy...

They all use the Scooter chassis by the way.

Herkules Trekking Series bicycles*
Whether for sport or for navigating traffic snarls, the bicycle may be an age-old concept, but it still enjoys the most popularity amongst athletes and inner city couriers. The touring, racing, and mountain bike variants are often popular models for production, but no one has so far installed rigs, armor, sensors, or similar toys onto these machines (probably for good reason).
Similar Models: Cannondale K-14 series, Kettler Sport series.
Other Features: None.

Herkules Trek. bicycles*
Hand Speed Accel Body Sig Cargo Load Seating Avail Cost
—Touring 3/6 5+Q*5 Q 2 8 1 S*5 1m 2/24 hrs 1,250 ¥
—Racing 2/7 5+Q*5 Q 2 8 — S*4 1m 2/24 hrs 1,875 ¥
—Mountain 3/4 5+Q*5 Q 2 8 — S*5 1m 2/24 hrs 2,500 ¥

Edward
I hadn’t intended to use it as on run transport (beyond going out in the morning and parking it 2 blocks down in case I need a private escape) s to security. I will get a very good bicycle chain. One with a rating 6 mag lock.

Those bikes from the German R3 are very expensive. Talking top of the line can by a second hand car for that (and given ease and incentive to steal will probably last as long as an old bomb)

What would the 400 ¥ model get you

Edward
Dashifen
One of those with a bent frame biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
From the Shop:

Bike
    Body 1
    Handle 3/3
    Speed Q * 3
    Accel Q
    Load 10
    Sig 6
Cost 50¥
Kagetenshi
Why such a low sig?

~J
toturi
It is a bicycle... not much bigger than a normal metahuman, you know.
Kagetenshi
Low, not high. Depending on what they're running, a Body 2 electric fuel cell vehicle can easily be Sig 7 and even a subcompact-car-sized walker can be Sig 5 with a methane power plant. 6 seems ridiculously low; it should be easier to lock onto the rider than the bike itself. At least the rider's producing heat.

~J
Kanada Ten
For 50¥ you get a bike that squeeks. Besides, the Signature includes the sweaty rider.
Cynic project
Right now, I have a bike that is a crusier. It is safe to use around town,and comfy.I paid 50 bucks for it and I get commits about it being a nice bike. Now most cruisers should cost closer to 100$... But I style go faster than you ground pounders and use less effort. Uphill is a bitch but then again I ain't a\in my prime fittness like shadowrunners should be.
Edward
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
From the Shop:

Bike
    Body 1
    Handle 3/3
    Speed Q * 3
    Accel Q
    Load 10
    Sig 6
Cost 50¥

I think you got the handling wrong. Most bikes are not that good of road. May I suggest the 100¥ modle have handling of 3/5 or 3/6

Edward
Rev
In general items in shadowrun cost the same as thier equivalent today.

A $300 mountain bike is a pretty bad mountain bike (though absolutely fine for commuting or whatever), unless several years old and somewhat used.

A mountain bike should be faster than rollerskates on road, and a road bike 50% faster than a mountain bike on road. A cross/touring/trail bike inbetween.

I like the mountain bike speeds posted from the germany sourcebook ok, but if a mountain bike is Q*5 a touring should be Q*6 and a road bike should be Q*7. I rode 200 miles over a weekend on a trail bike once, then a few months ago on a road bike. Despite being much better trained the first time my average speed was about 20% higher on the second trip. Over shorter distances the difference is even more pronounced I could just barely hit 20mph on flat ground on the trail bike, but 25 is no problem on the road bike. A full mountain bike would be even slower due to suspension and fatter tires.

Maybe cyberskates are Q*6, but regular skates are only Q*5 or something?
Backgammon
From the CLUE files
"The St. Sam of this particular group spent all of his million nuyen on cyberware, guns, and ammo. This left him with 100 nuyen and no way to get around Seattle. I guess the GM was feeling gracious, because he let him buy a ten speed bicycle. Well, one of the team members was leaving a local bar when he was targeted by a couple of hit men. He hadn’t noticed them yet, but our Sam rounding the block on his ten speed did. He knew they were going to attack, so he activated his Wired Reflexes 3, and moving at about 80 mph, did a drive by shooting at the hitmen…"
"The good news was that he got the hit men. The bad news was that, failing his bike skill roll, he was blown off the bike by the recoil."
Kagetenshi
Falling off of bike > getting pasted by hitmen.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012