Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mi 24 Hind (in 2064)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Johnny the Bull
At the moment I am playing in an on/off game of SR. My character, a greasemonkey vory v zakone is looking to restore and upgrade a scrapped Eurowar-era attack/transport chopper. The only problem I am having is deciding what chassis to base it on. Throw down your vote to help me decide, and if you're so inclined, particular design or customisation options that you'd suggest.
Connor
I say go with whichever chassis gets you closest to what you're looking for from the thing. I'd probably try building it using all three and then take the one that fits what I'm looking for the best.
grendel
When I converted the design, I used the attack helicopter chassis.
Johnny the Bull
QUOTE (grendel)
When I converted the design, I used the attack helicopter chassis.

I have been leaning that way, though I have been trying to find a way to get 3 folding bench seats in within the cf
BaronJ
From what I remember in my days designing helos, Attack helecopters are things like Apaches & Cobras: small two-man units. Autogyros are the one-man biting flies.

Cargo Helicopters are things like Chinooks, Sea Stallions & Jolly Green Giants... enormous behemoths that can lift multiple tonnes.

So it settle on Utility helos, which seem to cover everything from JetRangers (your average TV helo) to BlackHawks... and a HiND is pretty much an armoured BlackHawk: transports a platoon, but can kill tanks if it has to.

Also, I think that SoTA:63 has a good section on European Mercenary gear... and the EuroWars leftovers that you speak of. Check it out, it might help resolve your quandry!

BaronJ
Young Freud
Really, I'd probably build it using a Utility helicopter frame or a Cargo frame, since it's so large. It might be a bit difficult to build using Rigger 3 that you might have to custom build it.

Off the stats I'm looking at on the Federation of American Scientists website, the Hind would probably have a Load of 3000kg (11,500kg Max. Takeoff Weight - 8,500kg Dry Weight; if you must know, as a comparison, the Apache has a dry weight of 5.9t and a MTO weight of around 7t, give or take 200kg depending on the block), have a Body of 6 (it's dry weight is within the 7.5 to 20t range). The Hind's engines were taken off the Mi-8 Hip, which is a high-endurance multi-role transport helicopter, so they're really powerful engines. A wingless prototype of the Mi-24 Hind, known as the A-10, broke the airspeed record for helicopters when it was introduced (which was set at 368km/h). The Hind itself was designed for combat transport, with it's best western counterpart being the Bell Iroquois (in fact, the early mockups of the Hind looked very much like the Huey in "Bushranger" mode). It ended up being good at both transport and combat, since the weapon pylon wings were a design standard, not an add-on like on many transport copters.

*on edit* With a combined internal fuel store of 3047liters (which is internal tank plus aux tank in cabin (not sure if it's optional or not)) and a range of 450km (900km total distance, back and forth), fuel efficiency comes to 0.29km/l. Also, comparing the stats with the Chinook, it would be a medium lift cargo helicopter. The Hind is a bit larger than the Chinook with it's tail, and it's max TO weight is just a smidge over the Chinook's (Chinook Max TO weight: 11,032kg) and the Chinook's Load would be 2270kg (external load). The Hind would probably be considered a cargo helicopter. BTW, with wings, max airspeed is 295km/h.
Johnny the Bull
I'd kiss you Freund if you weren't an internet avatar. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
http://invision.dumpshock.com/index.php?sh...t=0&#entry93534

About Young Freud's stats: dry weight doesn't include fuel, max take-off does, so Load rating should probably be lower than 3,000kg (since in SR fuel isn't part of Load). I personally think the Aux fuel systems are better left for the external fuel tanks. There's not much room to play around with the Body, unfortunately, so you're really stuck with BOD 7. Lots more explanation and other crap in the linked post.
Birdy
Given that the MI-24 is no longer the prime attack helicopter IRL (It still fills the role due to budget reasons) and the current models where in service back in the 1980s! you should cast a look at current model russian attack choppers like the Mi-28 and Kamanov Ka50/52. Those are closer to the western breed (single/double seaters)

Birdy
SirBedevere
The Hind wasn't designed as a pure attack chopper. The Hind was designed for the KGB Border Guards to stop entry into the old Soviet Union, particularly in the south to stop drug runners. That's why it has passenger carrying capacity, for a unit of Border Guards. The Red Army wanted an attack chopper but took what there was at the time.
Bigity
The handling on it should suck total ass though. Like 6 or 8.
Austere Emancipator
Remember that a Handling of 6 would mean that an average, non-rigger piloting the Hind, flying Nap-of-Earth at 240km/h, might take minutes to stop the vehicle. With a Skill of 4, there's a 48% percent chance of failing any unmodified Handling test when the Handling is 6. With a Handling of 8, taking the Hind beyond cruising speed would be suicide without a high-rating VCR. Anything beyond Handling 4 is a flying brick. At 6 or higher, we're talking wingless A-10.

Simply because people without VCRs and 1-digit Rotorcraft skills have managed to pilot these things in combat, they shouldn't have a Handling over 5.
Bigity
I could go with 5, but every document I've ever read points out that the Hind flies worse then any bird in the air, man-made or otherwise.

It's effective because it's a flying tank, not because it handles well smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Handling 5 is still in the "does not handle well" range, Handling 6 and more is "does not handle, period". It'd be a bitch just to get in air, take forever to get accelerated to a decent speed, etc etc. Yet people have been flying them for years, and more dropped in Afghanistan because of SAMs than because they couldn't change their course with only a 5-minute warning that there's a mountain up ahead.
Ed_209a
The hind is the result of a strange mid-air collision between a Blackhawk and an Apache.

lodestar
Already done for you Johnny...

Check 3rd post
lodestar
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Handling 5 is still in the "does not handle well" range, Handling 6 and more is "does not handle, period". It'd be a bitch just to get in air, take forever to get accelerated to a decent speed, etc etc. Yet people have been flying them for years, and more dropped in Afghanistan because of SAMs than because they couldn't change their course with only a 5-minute warning that there's a mountain up ahead.

Its largely because the Hind was designed as to date the world's only "assault helicopter" At slow speeds it handles incredibly poorly because it requires so much of its power just to stay aloft - that is to say less power is available for manuvering. In cruise flight however the Hind shines as its stub wings provide 30% of its lift - consequently the hind still holds the helicopter speed and altitude records. Keep in mind as well that a helo's handling diminishes significantly at altitude as air density decreases - example the mountains of Afghanistan - by comparison neither the Apache nor the Blackhawk can operate in that terrain - The Chinook is one of the few helos the forces in Afghanistan can deploy.

The Hind's mission is to move fast to the target area, dump its payload of men or ordinance and then retreat to refuel and re-arm to return. In that aspect it was designed perfectly. Essentially fulfilling the same role as the old Il-2.
BitBasher
QUOTE (lodestar)
Already done for you Johnny...

Check 3rd post

I actually relly, really like that design. It can fit 10 bench seats in it too IIRC.
otomik
Mi-28
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/...elo_mi28_08.jpg
looks like Goofy!
Austere Emancipator
You'll need to modify lodestar's Mi-60 a bit to get it operational, though -- Launch Control Systems being #1 on the acquisitions list. Unless of course those are already calculated into the numbers but just don't appear on the Other Features -list. It's a great basic build-up for one from an Utility Helo chassis, though.
lodestar
Launch control systems would depend on the ordinance installed, for various types of autocannon, MG or dumb rockets they wouldn't be necessary. For example the Hind itself doesn't usually have its UB-32s if its in the troop carrying role.
Austere Emancipator
In SR, those would be required with almost any load-out, since you cannot fire any rockets (dumb or smart) or missiles without them. Only cannons can be fired without. Certainly the amount required might vary, depending on whether you have batteries of smaller missiles or only a few heavier ones -- but adding Launch Control Systems can be a bit of a pain in the ass, especially if we're talking about an organised crime operative instead of military use. To save yourself bookkeeping, you might as well add a few LCS's right away. The basic version probably would anyway.

[Edit]Uh-oh. You'll have to do away with the external hard-points if you want to fire any rockets or missiles with the Mi-60 -- hardpoint/firmpoint restrictions. Better get rid of the other, have the other under the nose, and stick in 2 Medium LCS's by default.[/Edit]

[Edit #2]I don't really believe in the hard-/firmpoint limited by Body crap, so if you don't feel a need to remain absolutely canon, and would like to use a low-Body chassis for this, I suggest you ignore that rule -- or at least run it so that LCS's don't take hard- or firmpoints.[/Edit #2]
grendel
consequently the hind still holds the helicopter speed and altitude records.

While true that a Hind utilizes its stub wings to provide a good amount of lift, it in no way can move faster than modern attack helicopters. A quick google search reveals that the current world speed record is held by a Westland Lynx, which clocked in at 249.1 MPH. Impressive given that conventional helicopters cannot fly faster than 250 MPH. Article here.

Also, it appears that the altitude record is held by a modified SA-315 Lama, although I can't find any substantiation for that claim. The altitude specified is 40,820 ft.
Camouflage
If you want a nice design for an extrapolation of the Hinds tactical role into the tech of SR, you could take a closer look at the M-100 gunships in Ralph Peters' "The War of 2020":

Tilt-Wing design, armed with a railgun and a gatling, with heavy-duty EW-equipment and room to carry an 8-man infantry-squad. I posted a conversion of it in one of the earlier incarnations of these forums. Perhaps I have an offline-copy of that thread lying around somewhere.
mmu1
I've been close enough to a Hind to touch, and it is in no way a huge helicopter - it's bulky compared to an Apache but compared to something like a Blackhawk, it doesn't have a lot of useful cargo space.

Its ability to carry a squad of eight troops (in full combat gear, presumably) is a fiction. That troop compartment is tiny.
otomik
Tilt-Wing design, armed with a railgun and a gatling, with heavy-duty EW-equipment and room to carry an 8-man infantry-squad. I posted a conversion of it in one of the earlier incarnations of these forums. Perhaps I have an offline-copy of that thread lying around somewhere.
Thats retarded. Ralph Peters is smoking crack. He also says the Japanese with ally themselves with Islamofascists, that Israeli's will be defeated and put in a Ghetto and America and the Soviet Union will buddy up against the Japanese Islamo-Fascists.

no I don't feel very eloquent today.

Hinds carry 8 troops currently
Boeing V-22 Osprey troop carrying capacity is contraversial, they promissed 24 which is great, but they must have meant tiny chinese troops cuz the the GAO says realistically 13-17 combat loaded troops. Which is similar to current production Blackhawks (14 troops, 1/4 the cost, same range but slower). CH53 Stallions would be better for actual troop transport, the Osprey is much cooler but probably would suck in an attack role.
FlakJacket
That and it has the annoying tendency to crash and kill everyone from what I've read. Really cool idea from what I've heard, crappy implementation.
Young Freud
QUOTE (grendel)

While true that a Hind utilizes its stub wings to provide a good amount of lift, it in no way can move faster than modern attack helicopters. A quick google search reveals that the current world speed record is held by a Westland Lynx, which clocked in at 249.1 MPH. Impressive given that conventional helicopters cannot fly faster than 250 MPH. Article here.

Also, it appears that the altitude record is held by a modified SA-315 Lama, although I can't find any substantiation for that claim. The altitude specified is 40,820 ft.

I never said that the Hind broke the current world speed record. I said that the Hind A10 prototype broke the speed record when it was introduced, which was 368km/h (or 230mph). I have difficulty believing that the Hind actually qualified for an altitude record, although the Mi-8/Mi-17 Hip, the Hind's older brother, is widely prized in both the Indian and Pakistani armed forces, as it's the one of the few helicopters that can reliably traverse the Himalayas and land troops on the mountains.
otomik
That and it has the annoying tendency to crash and kill everyone from what I've read. Really cool idea from what I've heard, crappy implementation.
Not to mention that it's impossible to land if the complicated wing tilting mechanism doesn't want to work today.
F-22 and V-22 might be the biggest military money pits
http://www.g2mil.com/V-22.htm
Big and Wobbley just like the big dumb ED-209
http://www.simradar.com/Feature/2826/V_22_...den_flight.html
Camouflage
QUOTE (mmu1)
Its ability to carry a squad of eight troops (in full combat gear, presumably) is a fiction. That troop compartment is tiny.

Don't so sure about that. Have you ever seen the troop compartment of an APC? You would be surprised how many fully equipped soldiers you can put into very little space...

@otomik:
And what do his questionable political predictions have to do with the quality of the gunship's design? Aside from exaggerating the effects of EW-systems he actually explains the design quite well (i.e. using a tilt-wing aircraft instead of a classical helicopter to provide a stable platform for the railgun, etc.).
hobgoblin
from what info i have available (a nice book covering most modern military aircraft, be it rotor or wing) the originalhind version had a 5 seat crew compartment and was retrofitted with a manual gun in the crew compartment (similar to the machinegun in the nose of some ww2 bombers) andsome stub wings for rocket pods. in fact not that dissimilar from the blackhawk. then a later version came along and it hand gotten the well known 2 seat tandem layout we know form the hueycobra on up. some early versions had a fixes machinegun munted on the side of the aircraft (below the pilot) but later ones got a chin turret.

so basicly the hind is a story of taking a base frame troopcarryer and utility copter and partialy converting it into a attack helo. master of none bit still e very interesting hybrid.

and then there is the fact that it was armored like a tank. from what i understand it could have taken a beating that would ground a apache and still do its mission, kinda like a helo version of the a-10 smile.gif

btw, didnt they make a plane called the frogfoot for mutch the same use as the a-10?
Camouflage
QUOTE (otomik)
Thats retarded. Ralph Peters is smoking crack. He also says the Japanese with ally themselves with Islamofascists, that Israeli's will be defeated and put in a Ghetto and America and the Soviet Union will buddy up against the Japanese Islamo-Fascists.

Remember at what time that book was written. Back then there was a general agreement, that the most likely scenario for an actual nuclear war was between Israel and it's WMD-equipped neighbours and that's what he assumed to have happened in his book: Israel and it's neighbours gassed/nuked each other basically into extinction, as the whole area was turned into an uninhabitable wasteland and IIRC it was less about being beaten and put into a ghetto, but barely surviving a mutually destructive total war and taking refuge in the only nation still on their side.

Well, the part of Japan aggressively rising to the status of world superpower #1 as well as the Jyhad-stuff he had the islamic ex-sowjet-republics pull off, fits the bias of that time and the rest is political power-play at it's best. Just look at what type of allies the USA were willing to make in the past just as long as it would help to stay ahead of the russians.
Camouflage
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
btw, didnt they make a plane called the frogfoot for mutch the same use as the a-10?
hobgoblin
looks like it camo, looks like it smile.gif
Hague
The Osprey sucks in any role.

My unit had the dubious honor of being the first Marine grunts on the West Coast to survive flying in an Osprey. The Osprey is good for two things:

1) Exploding in midair.
2) Killing Marines.

Whoever designed the seats must have grabbed the smallest WM he could find, and stuck her in the seat with no gear on, just cammies. We had trouble fitting, needless to say. There is more room on the benches in the back of an amtrac than the seats on the Osprey, and you dont have to buckle up in the amtrac. Its fun trying to squeeze yourself in so that you can sit down and buckle up when you're an average size guy, wearing a flak jacket and deuce gear. Try to suck your gut in all the way to your spine, and you'll see how hard it is to get that belt on. Now imagine that you're wearing a semi-flexible piece of body armor that adds considerably to your overall girth.

Someone got some serious kickbacks on the Osprey program.

The only good thing I have to say about that damn POS is that its fairly quick once you switch to flying like a plane. Minimizes the amount of time you have to spend in the air, which means your chances of exploding are reduced a little.

The CH-53, or Shitter, as its also known, is a much better helo, IMO.

Why the hell did they name a utility helo after a bird of prey, anyway? I guess it sounds better than the "V-22 Aerial Fireball", huh?
Young Freud
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
from what info i have available (a nice book covering most modern military aircraft, be it rotor or wing) the originalhind version had a 5 seat crew compartment and was retrofitted with a manual gun in the crew compartment (similar to the machinegun in the nose of some ww2 bombers) andsome stub wings for rocket pods. in fact not that dissimilar from the blackhawk. then a later version came along and it hand gotten the well known 2 seat tandem layout we know form the hueycobra on up. some early versions had a fixes machinegun munted on the side of the aircraft (below the pilot) but later ones got a chin turret.

so basicly the hind is a story of taking a base frame troopcarryer and utility copter and partialy converting it into a attack helo. master of none bit still e very interesting hybrid.

If you want to see what the Hind first look like, go here. This has the photos of the first mockups and the prototypes of the Hind. I'm serious, it looks like Huey.

Yes, and there's something interesting about the Frogfoot and the competition that chose the A-10. Apparently, during the ground attack aircraft competition that Fairchild's A-10 Thunderbolt won, it's main competitor was an entry from Northrop Grumman called the A-9A. Now, judging from that picture, doesn't it look very similar to a certain Russian made ground attack aircraft?
Johnny the Bull
QUOTE (Birdy)
Given that the MI-24 is no longer the prime attack helicopter IRL (It still fills the role due to budget reasons) and the current models where in service back in the 1980s! you should cast a look at current model russian attack choppers like the Mi-28 and Kamanov Ka50/52. Those are closer to the western breed (single/double seaters)

Birdy

Oh yes, well aware of that. I was more looking what would be best chassis for a latter model chopper (2034 or so) that acts as a hybrid attack/troop transport chopper.

After looking through R3, body 5 seems about right so I'll probably plum for the attack chopper chassis. I shall post the results as soon as I am done, though in true Russian form it'll be a deathtrap and cheaper than an American model.
Austere Emancipator
After reviewing the Body and Power Plant tables, the Attack Helo chassis may well be better for one that stresses the attack-side more and isn't supposed to transport more than a squad of infantry. The better starting ratings in electronics, and the incredible speed, really help in that regard. It has a better maximum Load than a Utility Helo as well. The only possible problem is the max CF rating, which should still be quite adequate for up to 10-15 troops -- and it only costs 75,000 nuyen.gif to cap it.

The base price of a Jet Turbine Attack Helo is insane, though, at 625,000 nuyen.gif vs 287,500 nuyen.gif for a Jet Turbine Cargo Helo.
Johnny the Bull
Yeah I noticed that. I'm trying to keep the base model under 1,000,000. It shouldn't be too hard as I want to make something thats a fair bit behind the SOTA curve that can be easily retrofitted.
Austere Emancipator
One suggestion then: don't put any guns on it by default. Even the cheapest decent aircraft weapon, the Vanquisher HMG, is likely more expensive than you can fit in that budget. I know I would be humiliated to pilot an attack helo with a basic HMG on a turret or external mount...
lodestar
QUOTE (Young Freud)
QUOTE (grendel @ Sep 1 2004, 07:09 PM)

I never said that the Hind broke the current world speed record. I said that the Hind A10 prototype broke the speed record when it was introduced, which was 368km/h (or 230mph). I have difficulty believing that the Hind actually qualified for an altitude record, although the Mi-8/Mi-17 Hip, the Hind's older brother, is widely prized in both the Indian and Pakistani armed forces, as it's the one of the few helicopters that can reliably traverse the Himalayas and land troops on the mountains.

There are If I remember a few that the hind still holds (Or I should say the prototype they made for breaking records) One of them was for the helo speed over a closed circuit, the altitude one if I remember is still held, my book (granted six years old has the A-10 record breaking aircraft making the 100km course at an average speed of 228.9 mph. The alt record wasn't max alt but rather time to altitude making 20,000' in 7min 43 seconds.

A helo's max alt is usually a function of its rotor area and the hind, hip and especially the haze/halo have huge 5+ blade rotor discs.

Ideally the new Kamov "Werewolf" and "Alligator" attack helos should be able to attain faster speeds with their twin co-axial rotors. But that remains to be seen.

Why can't we have the Russians back as bad-guys? They made such cool war machines!

IMHO the rules for constructing attack helos in the SR rules sort of don't maker a lot of sense when you compare what modern helos carry for armament. I mean the aguilar can carry 5 missles? an Apache carries 16!
Austere Emancipator
You can probably pack several tons of payload, which means 10-20 Outlaw Block III heavy ATGMs, on the chassis though. The ready-made designs are just really lightly armed. Consider the "ground attack" fighter jet with a maximum payload of 2100kg of missiles/bombs -- a pitiful amount compared to any modern jet fighter. But you can design new aircraft with reasonable payloads.

I'm not saying that the vehicle design rules are perfect or anything, but it seems to me that the weak armament of ready designs hasn't got to do with the rules as much as them simply being weak builds.

[Edit]And remember, you can make a really heavy attack helo with the Cargo Helo chassis -- all you're losing is a bit of acceleration and 1 Sig, and you gain near-unlimited cargo space, 7000kg more load, 2 points of Body and a better fuel economy.[/Edit]
Kayne
QUOTE (Hague)
I guess it sounds better than the "V-22 Aerial Fireball", huh?

Classic biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
5 missiles? that depends on the missiles. allso rember that your not limited to one missile pr missile mount, in fact you can stack on as many missiles as it can handle based on weight if you want to. 4 reinforced missile mounts have a carry capacity of 1500 pr mount. 4 outlaws (to me thats hellfire in sr) takes about 200 eatch or 800 total. attack helos have a max carry weight of 5000 and can take 5 missile mounts (remeber that while they use body for max the same way the hardpoints and firmpoints do they have a seperate count).

3200 i load for the missiles and then its time to stack on the rest. 1-2 hardpoints used for a turret, 1-3 (depending on what turret you take) launch control systems and then stuff it wil armor and electronics. rember that the apache have never been anything more then lightly armored (it uses nap of the earth flying and hit&run tactics to stay in battle).
Austere Emancipator
I was comparing the Outlaw MK III with the AGM-114 Hellfire as well, but Hellfires actually weigh just 45-49kg. You could fit 6 Hellfires per standard External Missile Mount -- 24 on 4 mounts for only 1200kg of Load. SR helos fare pretty well in that regard, actually. The amount of LCSs sucks ass, but I guess that's explained by the Crash of '29 (ie game balance).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012