Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ambidexterity rules straight up!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Topper28
Hi M8y´s!

Sorry to start this up again, but I need some fresh eyes to scan this matter.

Say I get the Ambidex. edge in level 8. I can then ignore the off-hand modifiers. (Being +2 for the first and +2 for the second) right???

Leaving me with no attack modifiers! Right??

My GM won´t allow the use of a tactical CPU as of yet, so I have to use either SMG´s or HP´s with BF, to be able to deal some damage should it be needed. Right??

This will again mean that the smallest target number I can produce is 4. Right??

...but then I read something in CC:

"A character with the 6- or 8-point version of this edge does not need to purchase an Off-hand (weapon) skill to use a secondary weapon. Instaed, the character merely uses the normal skill for that weapon in two weapon combat. The skill used for the secondary weapon still applies only half its dice (round down) to the attack test"

What does that all mean?

Maybe, if one of you have time to setup a small example I will be gratefull.

My first plan was to use 2 HP´s with 2 Smart link systems and a tactical CPU incorporated. My plan was to get 2 HP´s that only fires in SA mode, so I wouldn´t be able to spit out infinite bulletry. (Keeping it as real as possible)

But now, without the Smart links system, I realize that I need some sort of weapon(s) that fire BF to compensate for the relatively high TN I will get. My plan is to use that until I get enough money to buy 2 smart links and the tactical CPU. Then I will drop the BF mode and only fire my 2 HP´s in SA.

How would you guys set this up??

Hope one of you have the time to answer all the questions! love.gif

T-man

PS: Will the athletic skill be a good idea so I can get closer perhaps???
Backgammon
QUOTE (Topper28)
"A character with the 6- or 8-point version of this edge does not need to purchase an Off-hand (weapon) skill to use a secondary weapon. Instaed, the character merely uses the normal skill for that weapon in two weapon combat. The skill used for the secondary weapon still applies only half its dice (round down) to the attack test"

That rule refers to using 2 melee weapons, not using 2 firearms. So unless you also plan to use 2 melee weapons, you can ignore it for now.

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed, but a Tactical Computer is 400K and has a veeeery high availability. Don't expect to get one anytime soon (unless you're playing a high-power campaign).
Dashifen
QUOTE (Topper28)
PS: Will the athletic skill be a good idea so I can get closer perhaps???

I'll chime in on this one. Athletics is always good. Plus, there are optional rules to allow Athletics tests taken at the beginning of a combat turn to add dice for dodging (I think it's a 2 successes = 1 die for dodgin ratio). They're in Shadowrun Companion, IIRC. If your GM uses those rules, it's sometimes worth loosing one attack to get more dodge dice so you can save yoru combat pool for attack and resistance rolls rather than doding. 'Course, if your GM doesn't use the rules, then it may not be as important to you.

As for the abidex stuff: The ambidexterity edge applies to both ranged and melee combat. If you have the 6 or 8 point edge, you can use two melee weapons at the same time without purchasing an off-hand skill. However, the for ranged combat, the modifiers for firing a weapon in each hand are reduced for each edge at 2, 4, 6, and 8 points. If you're focused on the ranged combat meaning, then all you need to worry about is the edge because there is no off-hand skill for ranged weapons.
hyzmarca
Remember that uncompesated recoil from one gun carries over to the other. Unless your pistols have six points of RC or you do some recoil min-maxing, this will stack up quickly. Even with ambidextarity, without recoil comp your TNs start at 7 and go up to 16. With 4 and 3 RC, you could fire two bursts and two single shots without much problem. With 2 and 3 RC you could fire a single shot, a burst, and two more single shots.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Remember that uncompesated recoil from one gun carries over to the other. Unless your pistols have six points of RC or you do some recoil min-maxing, this will stack up quickly. Even with ambidextarity, without recoil comp your TNs start at 7 and go up to 16. With 4 and 3 RC, you could fire two bursts and two single shots without much problem. With 2 and 3 RC you could fire a single shot, a burst, and two more single shots.

QUOTE (SR3p.106)
Change Gun Mode
A character holding a ready firearm can change it's fire mode via a Simple Action.  If the weapon is a properly linked smartgun, it takes only a Free Action to change the mode.

Why would you want to waste all of your Free Actions like that? Assuming that you will always have enough FA's to do all of it ... I don't think you could do it, at least not with an acceptable expendature of effort.

If you're looking to lower your target numbers for fighting with two pistols, BF is not the way to go. If you can get custom heavy pistols with the Increased Power option, those are your way to go.

Although, if you can custom build HP's and money's no object, get two with Improved Concealability, Increased Power, Recoil Compensation, Gas Vent (4), and Customized grips. That's 6 points of RC on each pistol, and you won't have any TN mods for burst fire. But if you can't get your GM to approve that much customization, stick with SA.

Wow, that's a total of 4 15D bursts each turn with Glazers smile.gif Not too shabby.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Luke Hardison @ Sep 2 2004, 11:40 AM)

QUOTE (SR3p.106)
Change Gun Mode
A character holding a ready firearm can change it's fire mode via a Simple Action.  If the weapon is a properly linked smartgun, it takes only a Free Action to change the mode.

I completely forgot about that rule.

Its just another reason to recomend 3RC pistols fired individualy. Dual wield penalities should only apply when both pistols are fired in the same action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012