blood pressure and extremely high cholesterol. Your National Health Care
provider won't allow such an unhealthy choice."

Customer: "Dang . What do you recommend, then?"

Operator: "You might try our low-fat Soybean Yogurt Pizza. I'm sure
you'll like it."

Customer: "What makes you think I'd like something like that?"

Operator: "Well, you checked out 'Gourmet Soybean Recipes' from your
local library last week, sir. That's why I made the suggestion."

Customer: "All right, all right. Give me two family-sized ones, then.
What's the damage?"

Operator: "That should be plenty for you, your wife and your four kids,
sir. The 'damage,' as you put it, heh, heh, comes to 49:nuyen:."

Customer: "Lemme give you my credit authorization number."

Operator: "I'm sorry sir, but I'm afraid you'll have to pay in cash.
Your credit card balance is over its limit."

Customer: "I'll run over to the ATM and get some cash before your driver
gets here."

Operator: "That won't work either, sir. Your checking account's
overdrawn."

Customer: "Never mind. Just send the pizzas. I'll have the cash ready.
How long will it take?

Operator: "We're running a little behind, sir. It'll be about 45
minutes, sir. If you're in a hurry you might want to pick 'em up while
you're out getting the cash, but carrying pizzas on a motorcycle can be
a little awkward."

Customer: "How the heck do you know I'm riding a bike?"

Operator: "It says here you're in arrears on your car payments, so your
car got repo'ed. But your Harley's paid up, so I just assumed that you'd
be using it."

Customer: "@#%/$@&?#!"

Operator: "I'd advise watching your language, sir. You've already got a
July 2006 conviction for cussing out a cop."

Customer: (Speechless)

Operator: "Will there be anything else, sir?"

Customer: "No, nothing. Oh, yeah, don't forget the two free liters of
Coke your ad says I get with the pizzas."

Operator: "I'm sorry sir, but our ad's exclusionary clause prevents us
from offering free soda to diabetics."

*Not all of it fits for SR that well, but for the most part it's pretty appropriate.*
Backgammon
I've seen this somewhere before...
Cray74
Hmm. I'm not buying the following scenario...

QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
Operator: "Thank you for calling Pizza Hut. May I have your..."

Customer: "Hi, I'd like to order."

Operator: "May I have your SIN first, sir?"

Customer: "Um, yeah, hold on, eh, it's
6102049998-45-54610."

[snip]

...And I'll tell you why. Paraphrasing of a real life phone conversation in late 1993...

Me: Hello, I'd like to order a-

Dominos: Is this Michael Miller at Freshman Dorm, room XYZ at Generic University?

Me: Eh...is this Dominos or the CIA?

Dominos: Did you want another large pepperoni with double anchovies for delivery again?

Me: Er...yeah...but, how did you-

Dominos: Will you be using Mastercard, last four digits 1234, again?

Me: Well, yeah...

Dominos: Great. That'll be $15.34. Delivery will be in 30 to 45 minutes.

Yeah. Caller ID, I realized later, combined with a simple data base.

Point being: They didn't need to ask for my name, social security number, SIN, or where I was. They knew just from the phone I used. They read the name from there, the computer read the number from the caller ID gizmo and looked up all previous calls from that phone number. Previously, they had asked for my name and delivery address, no more than that.

Thus, you're scenario requests a little too much information from the caller. A pizza place of the 2060s should already know a lot of that information by the time someone answers the phone. The computers should be able to cross-reference caller IDs to addresses, SINs, and names.
Kagetenshi
This has been done on the boards before, though.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
It was posted here less than a year ago.
Diesel
Reposts make baby Jesus cry.
Connor
Everytime you repost God kills a kitten?

I'd also like to add, I don't think any business would let their phone receptionists have that much access to a customer's data. Hell, in 2060 you probably won't even call to order a pizza. Just punch in a few things on the home telecom and it'll show up in 30 minutes. I order most of my pizza from the web these days already...
Kanada Ten
I picture it more like this:

Me : <walking past kitchen>
Telecom : "Dinner will be here in twenty minutes."
Me : "Great, what're we having?"
Telecom : "I ordered pizza in celebration of your promotion."
Me : "Alright, I got the bonus! You think we could splurge and get sausage and onion on it?
Telecom : "No sausage. I'm concerned about the high cholesterol ratings from your doctor. However... <pause> onion can be added."
Me : "Aargh, not onion alone."
Telecom : "Noted."
Me : "What about a movie?"
Telecom : <pause> "Selection downloaded. I've scheduled you for three hours overtime to compensate."
Me : "Ultra, Tele. Would you call Dave for me?"
Telecom : <pause> "Dave is currently unreachable; would you like me to call Marsha instead?"
Me : "Yeah, that'd be-"
Telecom : "Connecting."
Marsha : "Hey Kanada! Tele e'mailed about the promotion! Congratulations."
Me : "Thanks Marsha. Would you and Dave want to come over for a movie?"
Marsha : "Maybe, let me see... Commie, when will Dave be home?"
Telecom2 : <pause> "Dave is fulfilling his Mandatory Three Hour Random Civil Service at the moment. He will finish at 18:37 and-"
Marsha : "What?! I didn't get a notice!"
Telecom2 : "The Bureaucratic Central Systems just informed me for this. Shall I register a complaint?"
Me : "Those things get worse every day. Funny how they managed to tell Dave he had to work, huh?"
Marsha : "If you can wait, I think Dave will want to see a movie after this."
Me : "No problem. Tele, can you schedule a time?"
Telecom and Telecom2 : "Engagement arranged. Dave and Marsha will arrive at 19:28 for movie."
Telecom : "Social functions must cease by 22:47, Kanada. Sleep requirements of-"
Me : "Ok, ok, Tele. Sheese."
Marsha : "C'ya later, Ten."
Me : "Bye Marsha."
Telecom : "Connection terminated." <pause> "Your dietary supplement is ready."
Me : "I'll drink it before dinner."
Telecom : "It is important to maintain a proper-."
Me : "I said I'll drink it." <sigh>
Crimsondude 2.0
Anyone who read that and wouldn't want to kill themselves if that was RL, raise your hand. (So I may kill you.)

QUOTE (Connor)

I'd also like to add, I don't think any business would let their phone receptionists have that much access to a customer's data. Hell, in 2060 you probably won't even call to order a pizza. Just punch in a few things on the home telecom and it'll show up in 30 minutes. I order most of my pizza from the web these days already...

I thought it was "Every time you masturbate, god kills a kitten." At least, that's what the little image I d/l'ed off of someone's website says.

Anyway, if convicted felons now have access to people's credit card numbers to process payments, why do you think that corporations would be any less negligent in the future? Especially if there's a liability waiver (which is perfectly reasonable given a future of blood sports legally broadcasted on the trid, and extraterritorial corps that might just not care, especially if it happens to someone else's wageslave).

But, of course, this discusssion was beaten to death the last time. However, being DS... Have at it.
Kagetenshi
I wouldn't, because I'd be too busy killing the people willing to give out their SIN to get pizza.

~J
the_dunner
Heh, I was waiting for the Snowcrash reference... It's the delivery that's the fun side, not the ordering.
Kanada Ten
You car picks up the pizza on its way back from the lube change, but, of course, it forgets the napkins.
Connor
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Anyone who read that and wouldn't want to kill themselves if that was RL, raise your hand. (So I may kill you.)

QUOTE (Connor)

I thought it was "Every time you masturbate, god kills a kitten." At least, that's what the little image I d/l'ed off of someone's website says.

Anyway, if convicted felons now have access to people's credit card numbers to process payments, why do you think that corporations would be any less negligent in the future? Especially if there's a liability waiver (which is perfectly reasonable given a future of blood sports legally broadcasted on the trid, and extraterritorial corps that might just not care, especially if it happens to someone else's wageslave).

But, of course, this discusssion was beaten to death the last time. However, being DS... Have at it.

I'm not saying they won't be negligant, but I don't think it would be policy for them to just hand that info out to their minimum wage high school order taker. Now, just remove the person from the equation and replace it with nothing but the computer systems, then I can see all that happening.
Edward
I would be very surprised if pizza ordering included a human. We are only as far as reliable voice recognition systems away from an adequately interactive telephone system to do the job today. By 2060 given SR tech advancement I doubt any but the cheapest and the most expensive eating establishments will have an actual metahumon taking orders/reservations.

Every time you repost God kills a kitten?

Well I don’t like cats.

Edward
Edward

Well I don’t like cats.

Edward
Edward

Well I don’t like cats.

Edward
Kanada Ten
Every time you repost you are one step closer to banned.

Personally, I think there will be a movement to live hosts as a backlash against the 2040s fully automagical world. "What are people for?"
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (the_dunner)
Heh, I was waiting for the Snowcrash reference... It's the delivery that's the fun side, not the ordering.

Too obvious.

Besides, there was a whole thread on that, too.
RangerJoe
When this thread last appeared on DSF, Feb 15 2004, 09:55 PM, I was still a happy, naive person. Behold the Snow Crash comment from that thread:

Just mind you that when the pizza is okayed for delivery, it will be conducted to the orderer in a custom high-speed vehicle manned by a samurai sword weilding decker wiz followed by a guy on a bike with a nuke and a 14 year old girl with a hard to understand name.

Ain't the future great?

Ain't the search tool great?
Ancient History
Ah, the Deliverator.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (RangerJoe)

Now that you mention it... No. No it isnt. It really fails to work more often than it succeeds. Or maybe it and the old search engine got together for a chat and some drinks and decided that it would be a blast if the new search engine stopped working for me as well.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Backgammon)
I've seen this somewhere before...

Yeah, didn't this thread happen last year some time?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
When this thread last appeared on DSF, Feb 15 2004, 09:55 PM

Maybe... smile.gif

~J
kevyn668
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (RangerJoe @ Sep 3 2004, 08:21 AM)
When this thread last appeared on DSF, Feb 15 2004, 09:55 PM

Maybe... smile.gif

~J

Oh, so now I'm expected to actually read the whole thread before tossing my sarcastic two cents in? When did we institute that policy change? biggrin.gif
Sepherim
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
QUOTE (RangerJoe @ Sep 3 2004, 08:21 AM)

Now that you mention it... No. No it isnt. It really fails to work more often than it succeeds. Or maybe it and the old search engine got together for a chat and some drinks and decided that it would be a blast if the new search engine stopped working for me as well.

Indeed. DSF's now-days search engine got promoted, so it called the old one to watch a movie and eat a couple pizzas. grinbig.gif
Drain Brain
One could almost cry reading this thread... it's giving me a headache.

Who said what? When? Where's my damn pizza?

You know, when I first looked here I thought it might be something about, I don't know, teenage orks on mopeds zipping through traffic - What's the TN modifier to hit one of those? wobble.gif
RangerJoe
Eh, straight up ramming test.

Even in the future, they're still worth 10 points each (5 for peds)
Drain Brain
With a bonus for snagging yourself some pizza as it falls back to earth? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012