Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How big of an object can animate effect
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Namer18
The spell animate from page 145 in Magic in the Shadows seems to put no limit on animate based on the pure discription. Is there a basic rule covering this sort of situation elsewhere (for instance looking at detection spells area default and saying the object must be force*magic attribute cubed meters or smaller) or do people simply house rule it to something realistic? Also, do people put limits on the target of the spell? For instance a statue makes sense how it would be animated, but what does animating a gun (a high TN but it still could happen) or a cyberlimb that's connected to someone do? Finally, if someone were to true and animate a cyberware that was visible and connected someone, does that person get a resistance test? Its a lot of questions about a very specific topic, but I was interested in others' views. My guess is most people are going to say they leave something like this up to GM discretion.

Namer18
TinkerGnome
Two things. First of all, it makes sense to add body and half armor to the object resistance. There's no reason vehicles should get this and not other objects (aside from game balance). Thus small objects which don't really have body wouldn't affect the test but, lets say, a two ton boulder would probably have a body of 4 or better (using a similarly massed vehicle as a basis) thus boosting the difficulty of the spell.

As far as targeting people's guns, that seems fair, but targeting cyberware is probably a no-no since it is considered "alive" for magical purposes. Or, at least, it's part of the person's aura and that should protect it.

I don't have any references to back any of that up, but it's a set of thoughts, at least wink.gif
Namer18
Thanks, it seems your treating it sort of like levitate in terms of increasing the diffuculty for heavier things. It still seems the spell is on the powerful end for its drain and TN. Especially since its possible to have something very large, that is still not that heavy. On another note do you think it is possible to cast increased attribute on an animated object? So if I animate a gingerbreadman (TN of ~5) can I then cast increased strength on it for 6? Also, if I cast increase strength on it is the TN the force of the animate spell, the force of the animate spell plus the OR, or some other combination? It seems picky but that animate 6 plus increase attribute strength 3 gets you an inanimate object that can outlift your average ork.

Namer18
TinkerGnome
Well, mass is the imperative factor, not size, for most magic. More matter is simply harder to magic (in the case of created force such as levitation, it simply requires more force to be created, etc.). Increased strength probably can't be cast on the item since it's not alive (and the magic doesn't make it so, it just makes it move). If it could, then you'd be facing the OR as a difficulty number, at the least.
Namer18
Increase attributes simply state the target as a subject. Since animate gives the object both strength and quickness at a level equal to the force of the spell it seems reasonable to me you could cast spells to modify those stats. It does not seem to me that it says health spells have to target a living thing. Although, it does say voluntary subject for increased attribute, and I do not know if an animated object can do something voluntarily.

Namer18
Zazen
QUOTE (Namer18)
It does not seem to me that it says health spells have to target a living thing.

Increase (attribute) is type M, which can only affect living beings.
Namer18
Mana spells can effect "magical things", I would put something that has been animated through magic into the magical things catagory. If you do disagree would you say that increase cybered attribute would work in this situation?

Namer18
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Namer18)
Mana spells can effect "magical things", I would put something that has been animated through magic into the magical things catagory. If you do disagree would you say that increase cybered attribute would work in this situation?

Namer18

Increase cybered attribute still targets a living being. And it depends on what type of manipulation you're using. Considering the fact that Animate is a Telekenitc manipulation, I doubt it really makes something "alive" enough for magic. If it were a transformation, then I could see that reasoning, but TK kind of implies that your magic does nothing to the object directly, but instead creates force to manipulate it.
Zazen
QUOTE (Namer18)

Namer18

I don't think so, because otherwise you'd be able to target physical things with mana spells by animating them. You could animate a door and then manabolt it to pieces, or animate your motorcycle so you can hit it with treat.

Why not make a custom spell for this purpose?
RangerJoe
A custom spell would definitely be the way to go on this one.

I think I know where you're going with this idea and I am frightened.... very very frightened.....
Fix-it
Hmmm....

*thinks of a dinosaur skeleton in a museum suddenly breaking free of it's supports and attacking visitors.*

sounds like lotsa fun. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012