Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clothing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fygg Nuuton
I swear i remember there being rules for different grades of clothing (ordinary, fine and tres chic)

am i crazy or not? if not, then can you give me a page reference?
dandy
rules? there is ordinary 50Y, trés chic is 1000Y. just buy the tiger collection with the "extras". really awesome and fashionable stuff.
Fygg Nuuton
meaning, do you get a bonus to social skills
Abstruse
There are three basic kinds of clothing in Shadowrun -- Regular (50¥ per set), Fine (500¥ per set), and Tres Chic (1000¥ per set). Armor in the core rulebook (including the SecureTech armor) is considered Regular Clothing. For the various armor listings in the Canon Companion (Tiger, Executive, etc.), each section tells you what type of clothing they are considered.

I don't recall any bonuses/penalties in the actual books for wearing the wrong kind of clothing, but a good rule of thumb is +1 TN for every level you're off (wearing a Tres Chic tuxedo to the office is just as big a faux pas as wearing tshirt and bluejeans) to social tests. Personally, I think it should be more a matter of GM determining bonuses/penalties for clothing worn. If you only have one Tres Chic outfit and you wear it everywhere, people will notice and start talking about how you only have one "good" outfit. If you're wearing a nice Tres Chic dress in the middle of the Barrens, you're begging to get rolled and that gang member you're wanting to get info from will think you're a corp or a cop right off the bat.

I'm sure if there are any canon rules for this, someone will correct me but I think at this time, there aren't any. Might be some in SOTA 2064 though with the social adepts and the Culture Clash section...

The Abstruse One
Luke Hardison
I remember reading that last year's 'tres chic' are this year's 'fine' somewhere, also. Kind of like a SotA for clothing. I think that was in CC, with the fancy armors.

Found it. CC p 45-46 - Fine Clothing is expected in High Lifestyles, Tres Chic for Luxury Lifestyles. And the line for evolving clothing is about Armante armor.
Skeptical Clown
I believe there might have been a Companion rule about wearing the proper attire for the proper environment. In other words, you might get penalties for wearing Fine where Trés Chic was expected. Can't recall though.
Backgammon
Yeah, that wasn't for all tres chic, just a certain line.

Personnally, in my games I've put an emphasis on clothing. Usually it's needed to get into nova-hot clubs when you don't have a specific invite. Players have to roll all sorts of charisma and etiquette tests, and clothing helps or hinders by giving TN mods.
Snow_Fox
A lot of that is role playing. youre character shows up for a meet at a corp function and she's the only one in Jeans and a Seahawks t-shirt, kind of stands out in a bad way than if you're wearing a suit too.

Or show up to meet the Ancients and your wearing a suit, it's going not to go as well.

Or you want to impress someone at a club but he's in the newest novahot fashion and you're wearinglast season's outfit?
Fygg Nuuton
what do you wear to the meet? should you wear ordinary and look cheap, or tres chic and look high priced?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Or you want to impress someone at a club but he's in the newest novahot fashion and you're wearinglast season's outfit?

In any case, I find the idea of, say, D&G being vintage in 2064 rather... cute.
Abstruse
Depends on the meet, the Johnson, and the GM. Most GMs gloss over this, but some are more strict. If your Johnson is a corp type, odds are you're better off dressing up than dressing down. However, if your Johnson is a gang member, that nice suit isn't impressing anyone unless there's a bullet hole from the guy who previously owned it and you made sure he had no further use for it.

Rule of thumb: How you look creates a lasting impression with people -- they judge you immediately based on how you look and how you dress. If you want your group to be known as a bunch of hardened ex-military thugs, a tux with old-style poofy cuffs wouldn't work. If you want to be known as the cold, calculating assassin, a Seattle Screamers T-Shirt and cut-off blue jeans isn't the best choice. If you want to be known as the guys who know the streets better than anyone and have all the right contacts with all the chip dealers, prostitutes, gangs, and general low-lifes, then a corporate suit with a power tie doesn't fit that image.

The Abstruse One
Glyph
Zebra-striped spandex pants. Nothing says "cool" or "professional shadowrunner" like zebra-striped spandex pants. Just look at Animal. He's on the cover of the Core Rulebook and the Cannon Companion. Why? Because zebra-striped spandex pants are so cool. Look at the other guy on the cover of the Cannon Companion. You can tell he's thinking: "Wow! Animal's so cool! Look at that big, huge frickin' gun! And he's got a skull belt buckle that's really a skull! Awesome! But those pants are what make him super-cool. I've dyed my hair orange, just like my hero, but am I ready to step into the big leagues and wear the zebra-striped spandex?"
sidartha
Glyph

That's hilarious rotfl.gif
My teams favorite is to be able to blend in. Dinning at the Italiano? Fine it is, mobster thugs don't wear tres chic. Meet at the Renton docks at midnight? Street clothes and armor. Called to the Stuffer Shack at 11:30? Don't go. It's just a waste of time that one. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
I prefer a giant neon-green mohawk with matching green pants and pink polka-dots.

~J
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
what do you wear to the meet? should you wear ordinary and look cheap, or tres chic and look high priced?

It depends on the meet, dress appropriate, and show that you can blend in. You a shadow runner, not just a leg breaker right? You're not going to get into the archology mall unnoticed if you dress for a rumble. Impress the client by blending with everyone else until you want to be noticed.

Let me give you a rl example. I work in finance. When I meet with clients I'm trying to help them choose investments that will work for them. I want them to be at ease and feel like I know what I'm talking about. I usually wear a suit. To get into my office I need to use a key card on the door and pass a sec guard who's supposed to look at my card to make sure I match the picture on it. Most days he doesn't bother looking at the id card, whe knows me (And co-workers have teased I dress better than nayone else in the office) Yesterday I didn't have any clients shceduled and it was a "way" casual day so I rode my motorcycle. In bike leathers instead of a suit, the guard not only asked to see my id, he double checked it!
Edward
I always ask my fixer for advice on the Johnson including what clothing I should wear. Sometimes he gets it wrong but mostly it means I make an appropriate impression. If the Johnson wants reassuring that you are toufe mothers that will destroy any resistance wear ripped jeans and a shabby jacket and go to the meet with your wired reflexes active (if you have a reflex trigger don’t use it) show all the cyber and weapons you can. If you are being hired for infiltration work go dressed in a curer outfit and play the part well until your ready to get down to business (asking him to sign for a letter that says “your shadow runner is the delivery man” whiloe the rest of the teem is drinking one at each table surrounding him may or may not be taking it to fare). If he wants close bodyguards then were the best corp. style clothing you have with concealed pistol holsters.

Edward
Snow_Fox
Edward- I don't suppose you're a killer/bounty hunter out fo Santa Fe?
Crimsondude 2.0
Jesus. Stab me in the heart directly, you insinuate that.
Snow_Fox
I'm just wondering if he read the same books that I and Bittne by the Bug read.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012