Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distance Strike and Force of Will
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Catsnightmare
Been running an idea for an adept character through my head lately, an adept who works as a spirit and para-critter hunter.
Anyway, since the distance strike power allows an adept to transmit an unarmed attack, be it normal, with killing hands, and even delayed damage. Would it be too unreasonable to allow it to be used to transmit an unarmed attack against a spirit when combating it via Force-of-Will?
Dashifen
I would probably allow it assuming one thing that someone else can probably confirm since my MITS is on loan: If the adept is rolling their melee skills and enhancing them with distance strike I'd let it work. IIRC, attacking a spirit as a force of will sort of thing you make a melee attack by the damage is determined by your charsima. Therefore, if the adept makes a melee attack with distance strike, then I'd let it happen. 'Course, I could be wrong on just about everything in this paragraph because I don't think that I've ever had anyone attack a spirit this way in any of my games.
BishopMcQ
My understanding is you only roll an unarmed or melee test if you can actually damage it with that form--ie killing hands, dual natured or weapon focus. Otherwise you would roll your charisma.

Therfore if your adept has astral perception and distance strike it would work. If the adept is relying on the spirit to materialize before beating it into next week, then it is just charisma.
Dash Panther

Check out the Tracking power in Target: Awakened Lands for your hunter. It works even better with Astral Perception, which your character would probably need anyway to fight an unmanifested spirit.

For your adept attacks, maybe you can put an obvious geas on it, like Mortal Kombat's Nightwolf using axes and bows & arrows.
Catsnightmare
To quote the BBB pg 188

The character uses Willpower to make a melee attack against the spirit (Combat Pool dice may not be used).  The character may wield a weapon, although mundane weapons do not affect the base damage (the weapon is only a symbol of the fighter's will, it has no actual effect on the spirit in this type of combat).  However the weapon's reach bonus does apply.

The text seems to suggest that it's all melee and distance strike would be useable.

Thanks for the suggestion Dash, I'll have to get Target: Awakened Lands when I pick up my copy of SOTA 2064.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012