Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backpack - OSX Software
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowGhost
New OS X Software ready for Beta Testing - Backpack

Keep track of all your gear, weapons, ammo and how much it all weighs.

ShadowGhost OS X Shadowrun Software

Also, Firearm Designer has been updated as well
Kagetenshi
Nitpick on webpage design: if you're going to be consistent with OSX, the buttons on the bottom should either only turn blue when clicked (before the mousebutton is released, rather than when rolled over), or whichever one is blue should activate when return is pressed. I'll forgive you it not pulsing if you go the second route wink.gif

Or you could just ignore this, as I'm sure you have better things to do than worry about HIG compliance smile.gif

Add Gun could do with being a button rather than just a menu item. Also, when you've got more than 100kg of gear, the T in "Total Weight Carried" gets clipped off.

~J
Bossemanden
OS X as in no good for PC right? Cause if so I cant use it.
What i have seen of your firearms designer looks really good though.
It would be really nice if these OS X programs are also good on PC´s (Im ignorant on Mac so if it is compatible with PC, please let me know).
Kagetenshi
Not compatible. Not just a different operating system, but a different architecture, too.

~J
ShadowGhost
Hey Kagetenshi, thanks for the feedback.
I added in an 'Add Gun' button, and changed the 'Total Weight Carried" so it doesn't get clipped, even with 100.25 kg. Also fixed the screen redraw so it refreshes properly when resizing the window.

New Beta version 1.0.1 is posted.

Sorry, OS X is not compatible with Windows OS. I may do Windows versions down the road at some point, when I have an extra $200 US to spare to get the windows version of the programming software.

And now, back to work on the GMing program.
RangerJoe
Looks good. It handles decimals without problems now (my first list read: body 75, body 75, pi 3.14159265 and it calculated the carried weight just fine).

Can't wait to see the GM prog.
RangerJoe
Are you planning on importing lists of weights and other specs? It would be nice just to click on a menu to add a pred 3 or a HE offensive grenade.
Kagetenshi
Pros: would be relatively easy (it seems, might not be true) to allow list importing, and other people could write the lists.

Con: once you’ve got a giant list of things to choose from, you really aren’t saving any time from just looking it up.

~J
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 7 2004, 03:29 PM)
Pros: would be relatively easy (it seems, might not be true) to allow list importing, and other people could write the lists.

Con: once you’ve got a giant list of things to choose from, you really aren’t saving any time from just looking it up.

~J

I can just see that pop-up menu now.... click on it and the pop-up list runs down the monitor, over the keyboard, down to the floor, out the room, down the halllway, out the front door, down the driveway, and across the road. rotfl.gif

Having an extensive list poses three problems: One, I only have 5 SR3 books (BBB, MM, CC, SC, MitS). There's a whole ton of books and stuff I don't have lists for.

Two: the list would be bigger than the entire program - longer downloads and eating up my limited webspace to store them on.

Three, as Kagetenshi so eloquently stated, it would end up taking longer to choose things than to just look up and enter.

At least the weights for ammo are automatic smile.gif

I plan to add features in the future:

Drag and Drop between Backpack files - Save time entering the same info you saved in a different document.

Printing - Print the whole list, or just carried items.

Subsets - Make different 'Carried' lists that you can switch between depending on what you want your character carrying.
Bigity
This kind of thing could be useful for vehicles as well, for when your rigger PC keeps his entire life in the back of the van, as well as his drones and vehicle shop.
RangerJoe
It would be neat if you could add lists within lists. For example, one list could be "ammo bin" and contain info on all the ammo in one box. That way, if I've got three tins of ammunition, they could each be kept track of independently.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
It would be neat if you could add lists within lists. For example, one list could be "ammo bin" and contain info on all the ammo in one box. That way, if I've got three tins of ammunition, they could each be kept track of independently.

That's one of the things I plan to add - a sublist for guns so you can click on the (to be added) Folder beside the gun name and it will expand to show all the ammo for the gun.

Also, when I add printing to the program, it will automatically print the ammo, amount, and type included with the gun.

I made this up as my character's gear list alone runs to two pages. Got to be a pain flipping through two pages to find everything.

I may also make it so you can add a Folder, and have things within that folder so you can sort gear (i.e. Weapons, Biotech, Demolitions etc).

At the moment, all items in the list are draggable, so you can click and drag to re-order the list, and save it. So for now, at least you can keep items grouped together.
dandy
buhuu, i badly wanted this, but all i get is the .mac error page. says the nick is incorrect and/or doesn't exist ...

damn .mac ... can you provide us with an alternate link? i'm in the process of developing some software too. you are using REALbasic for mac i assume. have tried the 3.3 version and i somehow don't like it that much. do you have better alternatives?
ShadowGhost
Sorry, I made changes to my idisk last night, and it screwed things up.

Try: http://homepage.mac.com/sweeneycolors67/Sh...hadowghost.html

It should work.

Unfortunately I can't seem to change my sig to match. I keep getting a blank window. Seems someone is working on the forum here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012