Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happened to Iceland?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Botch
Please excuse this post if I am missing something.

WHAT HAPPENED - The Trans-Ale....n Terrortries native american land includes Iceland and the European States did nothing/took no interest in the change.

Isn't Iceland populated by big, blonde, norse-types who speak a maintained medieval language? I've never seen or heard mention that Iceland had a recent non-caucasian population, so why did the NA's get it?

I mean, UK and Iceland have adjacent fishing territories, (who remembers the Cod Wars?), surely europe would notice. I'm uncertain as to european/icelandic defence treaties, but I'd bet that Iceland will be involved in the near future.

Would anybody like to explain. We have a confused runner in toe.
Ancient History
Greenland (aka Thule) and Iceland (AKA Thule Protectorate) asked to be taken over as protectorates by the Trans-Polar Aleut after the Crash of '29 and the collapse of the fishing industry; when most of the native Nords high-tailed it out of there.

During the thirty years it took to rebuild the island's shattered economy (mainly through tourism, mining, and fishing), Iceland teetered between becoming a free state and a permanent state of TP-A. As the richest area in the TP-A, the wealthier Aleut have re-located there...and a number of ex-patriate Icelanders have likewise returned. So, Iceland is now split between those who want an independant Iceland and those who don't.
Botch
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Greenland (aka Thule) and Iceland (AKA Thule Protectorate) asked to be taken over as protectorates by the Trans-Polar Aleut after the Crash of '29 and the collapse of the fishing industry; when most of the native Nords high-tailed it out of there.

Did I miss this in the NA part 2 or is it referenced elsewhere, if so, where?
Ancient History
Target: Wastelands. 's why they didnae cover TP-A in Shadows of North America.
Botch
I haven't got Target: Wastelands, what other supprizes does that work cover in the North Sea/Artic areas.

Oh and what is Thule?
Ancient History
Greenland. Also, in myth, Thule (or Ultima Thule) was a far distant northern land akin to Atlantis...Utopia, advanced technology, entrance into the inner world, yadda yadda yadda. Ursula K. LeGuin, as I recall, was one of many authors that made fantastic use of it. The Nazis were fond of the Thule Myth, as is the Atlantean Foundation.

You can Google up more specific information, such as the stone and whatnot.

[/edit] Oh yes, and there's a few interesting things happening in the Arctic these days. For the North Sea, however, I suggest picking up Shadows of Europe (or at least Target: Smuggler Havens).
Botch
QUOTE (Ancient History)
[/edit] Oh yes, and there's a few interesting things happening in the Arctic these days. For the North Sea, however, I suggest picking up Shadows of Europe (or at least Target: Smuggler Havens).

Thanks, I've got Smuggler Havens. Just checking that there wasn't some more "nuggets" of info in T: Wastelands. Anything major in the sothern edges of the artic circle, specifically, within 50 miles of the edge of the ice-floes? Money is a bit tight to spash out on a sourcebook that might be mostly fluff.
Ancient History
Not much, no. Rest of it is mainly Antarctica.

[/edit] I mean, most of what's above the Arctic Circle is TP-A...parts of Europe (nothing really covered in SoE) and the Awakened Yakut. I can't remmeber if Kamchatka Island counts or not. Probably not.
Snow_Fox
Just to add to it, Shadows of Europe says there is some effort for Iceland to join the Scandanavian Union. Look for a potential clash in the Artic between the Trans Aluet and SU.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012