Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combat Spell Staging
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dashifen
Hi All. Began running this semester again and one of my players blasted some of the opposition with a manaball. He swore up and down that the successes on his sorcery test stage the damage up while the resistence successes could stage it back down. I was under the impression that combat spells don't stage at all and you're either damaged or not.

Example Case 1: Staging:
Bob the Shaman casts a force 4 stunbolt at serious against Alice the Mundane. Alice has a willpower of 5 so Bob rolls his six sorcery dice and 2 from his spell pool against a target of 5. He gets 4 successes staging the damage to deadly and then adding +2 to the resistence target number for a final resist of 6D. Alice then rolls to resist the damage with willpower getting 3 successes, staging the damage back down to serious.

Example Case 2: No Staging:
Bob the Shaman casts a force 4 stunbolt at serious against Alice the Mundane. Alice has a willpower of 5 so Bob rolls his six sorcery dice and 2 from his spell pool against a target of 5. He gets 4 successes. Alice then rolls her five willpower dice against a target number of 4 (force of the spell) she gets 5 successes and resists the spell for no damage. Had sherolled 3 successes, she would have suffered serious damage as per the damage level of the spell chosen by Bob at casting time.

Anyone know which one of us is right or is it a matter of interpretation?

Kagetenshi
Combat spells stage up and down normally until the defender has one net success, at which point the spell doesn’t take effect at all.

~J
TheScamp
Spells can be staged up, but can be fully reistsed if the target can equal the caster's successes in the Reistance test.

Both of those examples are correct, actually. It's just that in example 2, had Bob been able to get 2 more successes than Alice, he would have staged the damage up to D. In example 1, had Alice achieved one more success on her Resistance test, she would have taken no damage.

[edit]
Combat spells stage up and down normally until the defender has one net success, at which point the spell doesn’t take effect at all.

Actually, the defender only needs to match the caster's successes, not beat them.
[/edit]
ShadowGhost
I can't quote a page number, but I believe the spell is Resisted first, then Staged.

So if Bob has four successes casting his 4M Stunbolt,, and Alice has four successes resisting, nothing happens.

If Bob has six successes on Casting, and Alice has 4 successes resisting, Bob's stunbolt is successful. Bob has two net successes, so the Stubolt now does S damage to Alice.

Spells are resisted first (subtract defenders successes from Spell Resistance successes), then staged (if applicable)

It's similar to the Dodge Test where staging is done *after* Dodging, not before. Subtract defender's successes before Staging
BitBasher
IIC neither is actually right. (The results are, how you got there is not.) Staging happens at the end of the whole thing, not after the sorcery roll. The following applies to combat spells, elemental manipulations are different.

Combat Spells:
1) Attacker makes sorcery roll and counts sucesses
2) Defender Makes resistance roll and counts sucesses
3) Compare net sucesses. If attacker has no net sucesses spell fails. If attacker has net sucesses spell is staged up for each two net sucesses.

Only melee combat has the damage staged up before the resistance roll. Ranged combat has the damage staged up after comparing attacker and defender sucesses and determining net. That's an especially important distinction in gun combat and in the case of elemental manipulations.
Dashifen
So in essence, if the caster has net successes, stage up as normal, but if not then the spell does no damage?
Kagetenshi
Yep.

~J
Bigity
QUOTE (BitBasher)
IIC neither is actually right. (The results are, how you got there is not.) Staging happens at the end of the whole thing, not after the sorcery roll. The following applies to combat spells, elemental manipulations are different.

Combat Spells:
1) Attacker makes sorcery roll and counts sucesses
2) Defender Makes resistance roll and counts sucesses
3) Compare net sucesses. If attacker has no net sucesses spell fails. If attacker has net sucesses spell is staged up for each two net sucesses.

Only melee combat has the damage staged up before the resistance roll. Ranged combat has the damage staged up after comparing attacker and defender sucesses and determining net. That's an especially important distinction in gun combat and in the case of elemental manipulations.

I'm trying to think of a situation where the differences would cause a problem. Help me out smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Attacker casts, gets four successes. Staged up twice. The defender gets a single success. If you apply staging first, the defender doesn’t stage down and takes both upstages. If you compare successes first, you end up with 4-1=3 net successes, which only stages once.

~J
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Attacker casts, gets four successes. Staged up twice. The defender gets a single success. If you apply staging first, the defender doesn’t stage down and takes both upstages. If you compare successes first, you end up with 4-1=3 net successes, which only stages once.

~J

That's pretty much what I was about to type. It makes a difference when staging up and down off of base damage.
Espiritu
I recently dispatched a powerful mage (Who was also the mark to assassinate.) by casting a level 1 Powerbolt at him with every die I could muster and it staged up so high it killed him. He didn't make a single success against Dif 1. ^_^ That and both my elementals were about to pummel him to death in the same action. My DM just said screw it, and mission accomplished. The man had no chance. It was hilarious!

So you folks out there that cast on someone in a similar manner as "slapping" them physically, be wary of how many dice you apply. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
If you’re rule-of-1ing on 6+ dice, you’re screwed anyway.

~J
Espiritu

0_o

I didn't even think about that...lol
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Well yeah. Really if he was a powerful mage he ought to have shielding and that would have been almost impossible to pull off anyway. Your TN to hit him should have been very high. Still though, if he bothced the resist roll he's pretty much toast.
Espiritu
He was powerful in other ways apparently, remember different kinds of mages out there than ones that just kick your arse with finely selected Metamagics. My assensing of him before hand showed a huge number of elementals at his call and a high Magic rating. If he had been prepaired or not have botched so badly the battle would have hurt me pretty badly. Worse would have been if he had chance and all those elementals were the same time(Which was probable since he by record used Earth Elementals exclusively.)...one exclusive action later 8 elementals would be on top of the three of us who were killing him and his thugs.

It was dumb luck. All I had on that particular character was a lvl 1 powerbolt for offense...which is infact Espiritu my newfound drake. He was a corp Elementalist before taking to the shadows and that was his second run.
BitBasher
woah:
My assensing of him before hand showed a huge number of elementals at his call
You can tell if he has elementals? <keanu>Woah.</keanu> I didn't know that, nor do I remember reading it. Page number/book reference please?
Espiritu
You'll have to give me some time. I'm looking but not coming up with it again. I'm sure I've seen somewhere that assensing could provide that information.
Dashifen
QUOTE ("page 98 MITS")
A character can determine the number and type of spirits a summoner has on call in the metaplanes by achieving 5+ successes on an Assensing Test.  The results of this test will not reveal the spirits' force

Ask and ye shall receive.
BitBasher
nifty thanks!
Bigity
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 7 2004, 06:37 PM)

~J

That's pretty much what I was about to type. It makes a difference when staging up and down off of base damage.

Ah, well I've been doing it right after all, at least for spells and ranged.
RedmondLarry
Just to summarize:

With Spells, you compare all successes before staging.
Page 183: Spell Resistance Test before Spell Effect.

With Ranged combat, you compare all successes before staging.
Page 113: Dodge Test and Damage Resistance Test before Determine Outcome and Staging.

With Melee combat, you calculate staging and possible raises to power level before the final damage resistance roll.
Page 123: Standard -- Counter, Stage, Resist
or Full Defense -- Counter, Dodge, Stage, Resist (p. 124 top left)
TheScamp
Right, because Melee is the only one where staging can affect the Power.
Dashifen
QUOTE (OurTeam)
Just to summarize:

With Spells, you compare all successes before staging.
Page 183: Spell Resistance Test before Spell Effect.

With Ranged combat, you compare all successes before staging.
Page 113: Dodge Test and Damage Resistance Test before Determine Outcome and Staging.

With Melee combat, you calculate staging and possible raises to power level before the final damage resistance roll.
Page 123: Standard -- Counter, Stage, Resist
or Full Defense -- Counter, Dodge, Stage, Resist (p. 124 top left)

Crap! I've been doing that wrong for years. eek.gif eek.gif Thanks for the summation. I've been doing ranged combat like melee with stage up prior to resist followed by stage down.
Cochise
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Crap!  I've been doing that wrong for years.  eek.gif  eek.gif Thanks for the summation.  I've been doing ranged combat like melee with stage up prior to resist followed by stage down.

I could have sworn that I gave a detailed explaination to you only some weeks ago ... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012