Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Paris Underground
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nath
[BBC] An odd story I wanted to share, they found a cinema installed in Paris underground . I always thought the idea of Seattle Underground had to be stored with the fantasy elements but, hey, you never know...

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see it was already brought up in the Shadownews thread.
Namergon
Well, I asked a cataphile's friend of mine if he knew about that, and in fact he "more than knew about that"...
He should show me some pics next time we have a drink together.
Sepherim
I always thought you french were strange... now I know for sure! biggrin.gif nyahnyah.gif
otaku mike
It seems this cinema is not the only of its kind. About less than a dozen allegedly exist in the endless tunels under the capital city.
lorg
How cool is that? Awesome.
SirBedevere
I'd like to hear more about the Paris underground.

By the way, the Seattle Underground isn't all fiction. I've been there IRL.
Empyrean Seraph
So you mean that one level in Deus Ex is for real?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, there's a level in which the catacombs under Paris are home to MJ-12 operations and some rebels, too.
Synner
Run Paris Catacombs through Google and check out some of the sites...
Snow_Fox
From what I've heard there are tours through there but mainly unofficial and the Paris PD regularly have to rescue people who get lost down there, occassionally finding the remains of people who died there.
Backgammon
The truth is fairly mundane
Black Isis
Bah. That's just their cover story. It's obvious they are a front for some sort of strange Mythos cult of Cthulhu-worshipping, noir-watching crazies!
Namergon
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
From what I've heard there are tours through there but mainly unofficial and the Paris PD regularly have to rescue people who get lost down there, occassionally finding the remains of people who died there.

Officially, only 1 casualty has ever been reported.
Most people that go under have maps, or are guided by poeple with maps.
the main real danger is that the underground roofs are not so stable in some areas. That's also the reason why the underground is closed to the public.

About tours, the term is maybe a bit over, but indeed some cataphiles occasionally "initiate" rookies (like me biggrin.gif ) to the beauty of the Underground.
In some districts, circulation is difficult for unprepared people: water up to butt, small holes in walls to go from area A to area B (chatières), low roofs in corridors, and accesses through forbidden areas (like a tunnel in a former train network called the 'PC', near "Alesia" neighborhood).
In other districts, the travel underground is far more comfortable, with large and dry corridors, huge and astonishing rooms. But often also these areas are accessed through wells that can be as "high" as 50 meters. Going under can seem easy (if not subject of giddiness (sp?)), but going out is quite qa long and harassing rise, not even speaking of raising the plate once at the street level (my friend used to do it by kicking it with his legs, head down, only harnessed by a cable...).
Namergon
Some photos: http://www.catacombes.info/photos/index.php

A tract from my friend, Stout: http://www.catacombes.info/tracts/detail.p...numeric_id=1300
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012