Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [MrJBlackBook] MJLBB
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nomad
Well, the good news is that Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book is out in stores. At least, it was in my neighbood store last night, so I picked up a copy. And since the requisite opinion thread has not yet been started, I guess I'll be the first to put my 2 nY in.

Overall, this book is a mixed bag. If you are an experienced GM, then there will be little which will be new for you in this book. The rules for reputation are nice, as well the modification for power levels in character creation (since its more than just adding or subtracting points from the point creation system). The contact section fills out the gap left by the absence of the contact book, with a few new ones. But over all, I felt that most of the book had less utility for me than other books which have been released recently.

However, if you are new to Shadowrun, the breakdown of a run, which is by far the largest section, will be invaluable. This section really does go through the entire process, step-by-step, of setting up and running a run, with important points a GM needs to consider at every step. Because this has never really been dealt with previously in the books, I believe this is a good idea, just perhaps not for everyone.

Overall Grade: B-
Backgammon
How are the simplified decking and rigging rules??
Nomad
I'd have to run them to know, but they are single test rules with modifiers for hacking/control pool, utlities, vcr's, etc....
bitrunner
Also, I think the Reputation system, while good in concept, is totally hosed - i've already posted to FanPro what the problems are and how i think they should be fixed...hopefully, we'll see some errata soon...

i did not see a problem with the Quick Resolution rules for decking/rigging...
Nomad
Where do you put it at hosed?

As I looked through it again, I'd change the public awareness calculations but the rest seemed ok.
bitrunner
On initial view, I thought the Reputation system in Mr Johnson’s Little Black Book was fantastic...

However, there seem to be some serious problems with the system, as written.

The individual sections are fine, until you come to Public Awareness (PA). PA is equal to 20 – (SC + N), and the PA is also the target number for knowing who a runner is.

With the example then, Sam would have a PA of 7 : (20 – (11 + 2)) = (20 – 11 – 2) = 7

it then states that if the runner has a PA of 15 or greater, he is a well known runner. But as the runner progresses, the PA number gets LOWER. Therefore, a runner is known by everyone in the world as soon as they start the game, because their PA is (20 – 0 – 0) = 20.

How can a PA test with a target number of 20 be a household name??

OK, so I think that what is meant to say is that if a runner has a Street Cred or Notoriety score of 15+, then they are well known. If the value of Street Cred is 15 or better, they are known as the protagonist types, robin hoods, or others that we read about in the novels as the “heroes”. If their Notoriety is 15 or better, then they are “evil” or known as “the bad guy” – they are INFAMOUS…

That would fix that portion, with PA remaining the target number to know the runner.

The REAL problem though exists at the end of the Notoriety section, where it says that characters can reduce their Notoriety by sacrificing Street Cred – for every 2 points of SC, reduce the N by 1.

Here is why that is a problem:

Take Sam, our example. He has, as in the book, a SC of 11, N of 2, and PA of 7 (20 – 11 – 2)

If he continues to do shadowruns and is a “good boy”, he’ll eventually reach a SC of 15, N of 2, and PA of 3 (20 – 15 – 2)

At this point, not only is he well known (with a TN of 3, he is actually going to be almost instantly known), but because his SC is 15, he is also considered Well Known….so, Sam decides he has become too high profile, and he no longer is getting jobs because everyone knows him – he has not stuck to the shadows enough…

The next day, Sam decides to go on a killing spree and kills one innocent random person every hour for 3 hours. Thus, his N goes to 5 (assuming he earned 1 point of Notoriety for each innocent he killed, since they were isolated incidents and not all at one time or during a shadowrun – which btw, under Notoriety it should probably say just “killing innocents on purpose” because if he takes out a guard with a grenade and accidentally kills 5 innocents that are around the corner that he didn’t know about, then I certainly wouldn’t award 5 Notoriety points…maybe just 1 for the whole SR).

Anyways, he now has a SC of 15, N of 5, and PA of 0….no problem!! He just needs to burn 10 points of Street Cred to get rid of the 5 points of Notoriety!

Now he is at a SC of 5, N of 0, and PA of 15!!!! Now, the TN to know him is 15, even though he STILL has an overall career Good Karma of over 150, but no one will know him, and his Street Cred assures that he’ll only get jobs of a level he got 10 years ago when it was still early in his career – oh, and he’s totally wiped the slate clean of ALL his misdeeds…

Here is what I propose…

change the Notoriety to “for every 2 points of KARMA POOL permanently burned, you can reduce your Notoriety score by 1”. By doing this, it forces the player to continue to earn Total Career Good Karma in order to get more Karma Pool dice, also reducing the amount of Karma Pool dice that high level characters have. Note that this seems harsh for metahumans, which need to earn an equivalent of 40 Good Karma to earn back those 2 burned Karma Pool points (instead of the human’s 20 points) – but this helps to reinforce the fact that a Troll or Orc killing innocents is going to be played up a lot more than if a human did it….it makes playing a Metahuman more of a commitment, and also for those that use edges/flaws, the Bad Karma flaw more meaningful – this flaw is noticed a lot for humans because it is considered a “freebie”….”who cares if I earn karma pool every 20 points instead of 10??”

So, in Sam’s example, if he earned up to a SC of 15, he goes to SC of 15, N of 2, and PA of 3. If he wants to get rid of his N of 2, he can burn 2 points of Karma Pool (which if he hasn’t burned any to date, he’ll have 16 to start, and 12 afterwards) … this still leaves him with his SC of 15, N of 0 and PA now of 5….his bad reputation was coloring the public’s image of him, inflating his “presence” – but by getting rid of it, he is still known in the public eye, but less of a controversial figure. Even if he earns more N during his next run, he is ALSO still accumulating SC as well…in Sam’s example, the Karma Pool is also a limiting factor, as at this stage in his shadowrunning career, he only has enough Karma Pool (16) to rid himself of 8 points of Notoriety….and if he were a Troll, he could only get rid of 4 points – thus the public’s conception of “big nasty baby-eating trolls”…they always have to try harder to prove themselves and avoid Notoriety.

Even if you don’t like my solution, I think you can see that there is an error somewhere in the conceptions of Reputation as published…

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (bitrunner)
under Notoriety it should probably say just “killing innocents on purpose” because if he takes out a guard with a grenade and accidentally kills 5 innocents that are around the corner that he didn’t know about, then I certainly wouldn’t award 5 Notoriety points…maybe just 1 for the whole SR).

Nope. It all depends on who hears about it and what they hear. If you hit someone with a single bullet in the forehead and they fall down twenty floors through an elevator shaft, bashing against each and every landing, you could very well wind up with a reputation as a cruel SOB who throws people down elevator shafts even though it was as clean a kill as you could make it. Likewise, if no one knows you didn’t know about the five people behind the corner, your rep is going to be the same as if they were all sitting visibly at a nice tea party.

~J
Nomad
I like the suggestion. Even if it doesn't make it into an errata, I'm adopting it as a house rule.
mfb
i don't like the reputation rules because they're too concrete--if you gain X karma, your social tests become easier by X amount. real reputation is not based on what you've done, it's based on what people believe you've done, and what their opinion is regarding what you've done.

i think Reputation should be a Cha-linked skill that can act as a complimentary test to all social tests, with specializations including Street, Corporate, Military, etcetera. i'd apply 1/20 of your karma to it as extra dice. i'd keep the Notoriety rules. the Public Awareness rules would work the same way as they do now, but clarified to remove the current inconsistencies.

if you use your Reputation skill in a social situation, the Wrong Party test recieves a TN mod of 1/4 of the dice you rolled, including the extra dice from high karma.
Sepherim
QUOTE (Nomad)
However, if you are new to Shadowrun, the breakdown of a run, which is by far the largest section, will be invaluable. This section really does go through the entire process, step-by-step, of setting up and running a run, with important points a GM needs to consider at every step. Because this has never really been dealt with previously in the books, I believe this is a good idea, just perhaps not for everyone.

Thanks a lot for the coment. I really had to think about everything I did instinctively when I sat at the table in order to cover everything. I'm happy that you think I have. smile.gif

Does anyone have more critics on the chapter? Be them good or bad, I'd love to hear them. smile.gif
Adam
side note: the MJLBB forum will appear after we get the server stability issues worked out and the upgrades done.
Bull
QUOTE (Sepherim)
Thanks a lot for the coment. I really had to think about everything I did instinctively when I sat at the table in order to cover everything. I'm happy that you think I have. smile.gif

Does anyone have more critics on the chapter? Be them good or bad, I'd love to hear them. smile.gif

I had a lot of fun working on that first section myself, though twoards the end it became a real bear. I'd like to publically thank Sepherim for stepping in and up to plate and clean up and finish my mess when Real Life conspired to keep me from finishing it. It came out really, really well ork.gif

Bull
RunnerPaul
Just went through my new copy of this tonight. My first impression: "Why has the Shadowrun Hobby had to wait 15 friggin' years for the content that was in this book? This is stuff that should have been included in the original Big Blue Book back in '89."

Seriously, the outline of a shadowrun from the call from your fixer all the way through to the post-run downtime is exquisite, and will be a big help in introducing SR to new players. As far as the the Contacts and Location archetypes, they're worthy 3rd edition replacements for the older materials.

I'm sure there will be nay-sayers who will claim that any SR veteran already knows 95% of the concepts presented in the book, but I feel that in the long run, this will become the sourcebook that everybody fondly remembers. One big debate that always comes up about RPG Product is Crunch vs. Fluff. This book is certainly a Fluff book, and between this and the other recent big Fluff book, Sprawl Survival Guide, I think SR has finally overcome the glut of Crunch that dominated the majority of the early third edition releases.

That's just my take on it.
Siege
This is a topic of discussion on the "Power of a Doc" thread and I suppose this would be the better place to ask:

How should we interpret the "Surgery" skill listed in the Beta-Grade Shadow Doc contact?

-Siege
mfb
which character? the Elite Black Clinic Cybersurgeon on pg 65 doesn't, and i don't see any other high-end docs listed.
Siege
It's actually listed as a knowledge skill, but it's on the elite surgeon.

-Siege
mfb
not in my copy. the one on page 65, right?
Siege
Hah! That's what I get for reading too fast and in dim lighting.

"Surgery" is listed as a specialization of Biotech.

Bah, ignore me.

-Siege
Sepherim
QUOTE (Bull)
I had a lot of fun working on that first section myself, though twoards the end it became a real bear. I'd like to publically thank Sepherim for stepping in and up to plate and clean up and finish my mess when Real Life conspired to keep me from finishing it. It came out really, really well ork.gif

I must admit that your base was a great help for the whole job, having most things already worked out partially, and helped me to include the things I commonly do wrong when I'm the GM.
Eugene
I just picked up the book over the weekend, and I have to say that it's really quite good. Frankly I think it's a great model for other RPGS, too, about what a "GMs Guide" should really be about. Not many extra rules, but thorough advice on how to run a game and plenty of examples and sample plots.
Skeptical Clown
Overall, I'm unimpressed.

Chapter 1: I suppose this is pretty useful to someone who is brand new to GMing. In fact, I thought a fair amount of the information was pretty good, and it gave some shape to adventures for a novice to try to adhere to. On the other hand, some of the information was more or less stating the obvious, even to a novice, and some of the advice was just plain bad. For example, it tends to advocate railroading and even occasionally 'teaching the players a lesson,' which I don't think are good ways to introduce someone to gaming. But whatever; Overall, chapter is a B- for new players, D for anyone else.

Chapter 2: So it's basically Contacts. No serious complaints here; most of the contacts are reasonable enough. But Contacts was always a pretty boring book, and not one I ever got much real use out of. I mean, who needs stats for a Taxi Driver, or a Dock Worker? But some of them will probably come in handy. Overall grade: C

Chapter 3: Sprawl Sites, except without the maps, thus sort of defeating the purpose. Some of the locations are interesting, like nightclubs and bars. Some are just boring, like apartments. Overall grade: C+

Chapter 4: Adventure seeds. This stuff is decent. I might use some of it someday. Overall grade: B

Game Information: Barely a chapter, just a couple rules. It's a mixed bag really; don't care for the reputation rules, but the low-end campaign character creation rules were pretty good. The decking rules are ok I guess, but simplifying decking seems to sort of defeat the flavor of decking too.

Overall grade: B-

Other Stuff: The art in the book ranges from OK to terrible. Some of the Contacts portraits are just freakishly weird, and all the art in the "On the Run" chapter is awful; it's all pixellated, like someone scanned it in with one of those roller scanners from like fifteen years ago. Overall, I give the book a C-. C+/B- maybe if you're a really new gamemaster.
RangerJoe
NERPSC

(still waiting to get a copy)
mfb
i recently used the simplified decking rules. no real complaints, i guess, though i modified the optional wound rules so that extra successes on the original test could be used to negate successes on the wound test.
blakkie
Has anyone else used the simplified decking rules? Does it make it feasible to have a decker PC without sending the rest of the table out for pizza and a movie while you resolve matrix excursions? Does it require a lot of legwork up front to distill existing computer system descriptions into the format you use? Can you resolve a fairly simple matrix run. For example say linking through 3 systems, find some info, then linking through another 2 systems to find more info based off the first info you found.

mfb
basically, the simplified rules render everything down into one test. the decker rolls his computer skill + hp against a TN determined by the host; every success he gets equal one operation he can perform. the host can then roll against the decker's DF, and deal icon damage; it's not in the rules, but i allow the decker's extra successes to negate the system's.

the real problem with these rules is that they negate a lot of the decker's hard-bought hardware and software, and also takes a lot of fun away from the guys playing deckers. imagine you're playing a street sam when bunch of sec guards show up, and the GM says "okay, roll your SMG skill one time. each success equals one guard killed." you'd be kinda pissed, right? all of the sudden, your carefully-modded weapon makes no difference, your million-nuyen reaction boosters are useless, the SUT skill you spent so much karma on doesn't have an effect on combat.

the simplified decking rules (and rigging rules, i guess--haven't tried them) should be used for short-notice jobs where the outcome either isn't really in doubt or isn't important. if you're sneaking into an apartment, and the decker suddenly decides he wants to hack the telecomm for paydata, use these rules. don't use them to replace important Matrix runs.
Dashifen
I agree with mfb on his assessment of the decking rules. They're fantastic for a sub-set of matrix runs but probably shouldn't be considered for all of them.
hobgoblin
mostly i guess they will fit for datajobs that have to do with info searches but are so under lock and key that they cant be coverd by the normal search rules. but i would not use any kind of simplified decking rules for takeing care of matrix overwatch thats for sure. and the same goes for riggers and chases. if the cops are hot on your tail then the rigger will get his time in the spotlight, no questions asked. the others can still fire out the windows anyways...

this is not a comment on the usefullness of the rules tho as i dont have the book. its just a general statement to support the one mfb made in a way...
bitrunner
bump
Critias
QUOTE (mfb)
imagine you're playing a street sam when bunch of sec guards show up, and the GM says "okay, roll your SMG skill one time. each success equals one guard killed."

Mmmm. Body-count-a-riffic.
mfb
munchkin. next, you'll be wanting to give street sams access to adept powers, or something !!

/in-joke
Backgammon
I heard of a game set like the 3 musketeers, where you roll a die to see how many guys you kill while doing a fancy move like jump up on a table. Crazy.
mfb
sounds almost like Feng Shui, which is a pretty cool game. it's definitely not SR, though.
Synner
Definitely Feng Shui, although the mechanics are cooler than that post would make them appear. You actually get bonuses for coming up with cool moves and nameless characters either go down or they don't when you hit them.

Definitely not SR though.
Canid13
Hehehe, Feng Shui does have it's plusses. But I'll stick with SR for the bulk of my play thanks, since my FS GM wouldn't give me 'cool moves' points for having a billowing trenchcoat and paired MP5K's :o)
mintcar
why not? smile.gif
Fortune
I think it's something like 7th Sea?
mintcar
I thought it was a Hong Kong action system. Dual weilding weapons is a very Hong Kong thing to do.
Stumps
What?
oh sure, just bypass the musketeers, and the vikings why don't you
mintcar
Acclaimed game designer and Hong Kong action scholar Robin D. Laws gives us Feng Shui, the game that has kicked the ass of every other kick-ass RPG about Chinese demons, machine-gunning thugs and mechanized apes.
Fortune
Backgammon originally asked about a swashbuckling type game with those mechanics. 7th Sea Is more than likely what you were thinking of. smile.gif
Sepherim
Yup, I'm with Fortune. Backgamon's example seems taken right away from the 7th Sea basic rulebook (it isn't, but it looks like). And the sistem is just slightly more complex, though it's great in every aspect of it.
Wish
the real problem with these rules is that they negate a lot of the decker's hard-bought hardware and software, and also takes a lot of fun away from the guys playing deckers. imagine you're playing a street sam when bunch of sec guards show up, and the GM says "okay, roll your SMG skill one time. each success equals one guard killed." you'd be kinda pissed, right? all of the sudden, your carefully-modded weapon makes no difference, your million-nuyen reaction boosters are useless, the SUT skill you spent so much karma on doesn't have an effect on combat.

That's kind of funny. In the game I'm playing in, our experience is somewhat the opposite. We don't have a "decker" but we've got a character who learned to do it as a sideline, because nobody else could. But then that started to bog things down a bit, so we eventually spent a ton of money, and he spent a bunch of Karma, specifically so that he could, in essence, do what these new rules allow. He's so good at it, at this point, that our GM essentially hand-waves most routine tasks, or boils them down to a single roll. Our group spent all those resources so that we wouldn't have to use the regular decking rules.
mfb
out of curiosity, how did the character manage this? i can't think of any combination of hardware and software that would allow a character to hack systems with that few die rolls.

and, hey. if that's what your group likes, cool. most people who play deckers, however, aren't interested in that type of massive simplification.
Patrick Goodman
That's also not who those rules are for, mfb. Those rules are for the vast majority (in my experience) of the rest of us, who look at the decking rules and come close to having a massive aneurysm at the thought of it. Anything to make decking and rigging a little less of a pain in the ass is a good thing for me and my group.

Your mileage, as usual, may vary.
mfb
right, s'what i'm saying. if your group doesn't do deckers and riggers, the MJLBB rules are great. if they do do deckers and riggers, though, these rules aren't a very good replacement. decker players who are forced to use these rules all the time are probably going to be pretty pissed, since all the money they spent on programs, ICCM filters, persona chips, etcetera will end up wasted.
Sepherim
The new decking and rigging rules aren't meant, IMO, to replace the others in every occassion. It's more like replacing those situations where there's not enough challenge for the decker (like sliding through a Blue node) or are routine-like (like gathering intel from public nodes). When it comes to the central part of the run, of course, the more detailed hacking is in order.
Ombre
Frankly, I don't think the 3ed rules for decking are just fine...I don't think they are so complicated...yet these simplified rules are okay for very basic Matrix runs (ie: I want to crack the travel agency system to check whether our target bought a ticket for Hawaii, I want to check the Salish Border system to check whether our target prefered to go by road instead...)
BookWyrm
The only gripe I have with MJLBB (I got mine for $5 off cover price from FRP Games Ebay store) is that it says it replaces the out of print Sprawl Sites. I still have mine, and I use the maps when I need to, which helps the players visualize the area they're in. FanPro needs to re-publish the original basic maps or produce new ones. Maps are vaulable. Unless you want to spend time drawing them by hand....

The Contacts section doesn't necessarilly replace the old Contacts book from the GM's screen, it makes it better. The old saying of you can't have too many friends applies to contacts.

AS with any "streamline" rules, you can take what you like & leave the rest. Every GM has their own style/method of gaming.

I'd tell any new player to read this book. It's worth the reading, doesn't come off like a rules-bible, and actually has good insights. cool.gif
Siege
Eh - I indexed the contacts from both the MrJLBB and Sprawl Sites to use as reference.

-Siege
akarenti
I finally got MJLBB and I agree it was kind of "eh."

The first section was kind of boring, and I think I got more out of the gray boxes than the actual text...

I really like the contacts section. The artwork was hit or miss, but the writeups were decent and definitely save time on homework. The more mundane, dockworker/taxi driver type characters probably will never need full stats, but it's nice to have them just incase.

The places section kind of all blured together. I think that had more to do with formating than anything else, though.

I like the little random encounter ideas. Gives those of us who haven't been playing the game long a better feel for what's going on in the SR universe every day.

I also liked the "random shadowrun" generation table. I'm not saying it's useful, but it is entertaining that they have one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012