Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How expensive is offline storage.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
How expensive is offline storage.

I can’t find a price for the SR equivalent of a floppy disk Or CD-RW.

Edward
Kanada Ten
A 100 MP Optical Memory Chip costs 50 nuyen.
A 50 MP Optical Memory Chip costs 25 nuyen.
A Music or Video disk or chip costs 20 nuyen.
A basic Encoder unit costs 500 nuyen.
Off-Line Storage costs can be found on page 304 of SR3.

QUOTE (SR3 Errata)

p. 296: Skillsofts and Chips Table [12]
The price for optical memory chips should be Mp x 0.5¥...
Edward
Thanks for the reference but my copy said 50+.5*mp for a deck offline storage. Witch means a music or video disk will always be cheaper than the chip to store it (even if you ignore the 50 20 nuyen is 40MP will store 40 min of video. Not a full-length movie and you haven’t paid for the data yet). Not unbelievable if you assume economies of scale and simplification of write once media. But video piracy won’t exist.

Edward
RedmondLarry
Edward, I think by 2064 that the Music Industry will buy all chip manufacturers. Pirated Music will have to go somewhere, so they make their money selling chips. That's why the content is free. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
40 MP will hold 40 minutes of uncompressed video that you can perform 10x zoom on (from the perspective of the camera) and still be able to get most meaningful data out of. I sincerely doubt that consumer video is that high-quality.

For reference, DV today takes about two gigabytes for ten minutes of video. When was the last time you saw a consumer video using DV?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012