Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about Burst Fire
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Connor
A few questions about weapons and Burst Fire mode...

First, is the Savalette Guardian the only weapon that requires a Complex Action for it's Burst Fire? I'm going off memory here and I may be mistaken, but the other BF capable pistols only require a Simple Action, correct?

Along those lines, using the CC creation rules, making a pistol and giving it a BF mode, is that pistol going to be shooting BF in a simple or complex? I assume a simple.

Assuming I'm correct in my assumptions above biggrin.gif, was there any logical reason to give the Savalette Guardian a Complex Burst Fire action other than just as a game balancing mechanic?
The_Sarge
It was logical back then, when the Savalette was a novelty.
A heavy pistol which could go burst on your target. Holy Batman!

wink.gif
Link
The Beretta 200ST Light Pistol also requires a Complex Action for it's Burst Fire, a hangover from 1st Ed.

Assuming I'm correct in my assumptions above , was there any logical reason to give the Savalette Guardian a Complex Burst Fire action other than just as a game balancing mechanic?

I think it was game balance. That said I think that heavy pistols should use a complex action and light pistols a simple one, including the Beretta 200.
Modesitt
Compare the various BF-capable heavy pistols.

AVS: Can only fire flechette, but can fire BF as a simple action. 30 shot clip.
FN 5-7C: SA/BF, 20 shot clip, 6L damage. 'Nuff said.
Ruger Thunderbolt: Can only fire BF, 12-shot clip, the Lone Star issues, the unusual recoil for two bursts in a round.
Savalette Guardian: SA/BF, but takes complex action to fire BF.

Notice that of them, none of the BF-capable heavy pistols are clearly better in every situation. The complex action is just the savalette's quirk. Quirky weapons are good. Except for the FN 5-7C, which fires light-pistol rounds at, uh, burst-fire speeds. Why would anyone ever use that POS?
Connor
Well, they do all seem to have their quirks, but again, what about the CC weapon creation rules? Would one just have to add in quirks to the weapon for balance issues?
Modesitt
Yes, because the CC rules are completely and utterly broken. It's really hard to NOT make a gun that is just plain better than every single gun in its class if you just use the rules as-written.

Start with Heavy Pistol Frame.

Design: Firing mode SA/BF(-1 FCU, 100 DP, +.5 kg), Heavy Barrel(+25 DP, -.25 FCU, +.5 weight), Improved Concealability 2(+40 DP, -.5 FCU), Improved FCU 4(+10 DP, +.5 FCU), Increased Power(+80 DP, -.25 FCU, +.25 weight), Recoil Compensation(+70 DP, .25 FCU, +.25 weight), Weight Decrease 6(+30 DP, -1.5 kg)

Mods: Internal smartlink-2(+180 DP, -.5 FCU), Extended Clip(+40 rounds, +80 DP), Personalized Grip(+25 DP), Folding Stock(+40 DP, +.5 kg)

Congratulations! For the cost of 3,675 nuyen, you too can have a pistol that is better for dealing damage than any other pistol in the book! If you have some way of getting 2 more RC(IE High strength and the foot-blade-thingy), you have a burst-firing conceal 7 pistol. Otherwise, just slap a Gas Vent II on it and you're gold. Firing two 0-recoil 13S bursts per round, you'll blows to pieces anyone stupid enough to get in your way. For more fun, drop the smartlink-2 and give it to an adept with Ambi 8.

Part of the issue with the CC rules is that there weren't enough things like Flechette Only. They really should have added more 'negative' features to help differentiate gun designs, like lower-than-average power, metals that just make the gun heavy, firing a really big round that gives +2 recoil on every shot including the first...Things like that. Anyways, you can just stack all of the best features onto one uber gun.

As for your original questoin - Yes a heavy pistol with burst fire would fire with a simple action.
hobgoblin
negative featrues is a dime a dozen, just your gray matter:)

oh and for the cost of a assualt rifle you just made a handgun that can beat any pistol in the books, but can it beat a rifle? do not forget about the range in this mix smile.gif

allso, if for whatever reason you loose that nice new gun of yous you have to dig up a weapon smith willing to make one, and you just made yourself one hell of a trademark (in the most negative way). sometimes a of the shelf gun with a underbarrel smartlink is better then the one of a kind monster you just described. atleast my gun can be any of a billion guns out there (unless they have info about it on file, nothing a good decker cant take care off smile.gif )
Modesitt
oh and for the cost of a assualt rifle you just made a handgun that can beat any pistol in the books, but can it beat a rifle? do not forget about the range in this mix

Hobgoblin, the point of the design wasn't to compete with rifles but to instead be the best PISTOL. Conceal 7 with burst fire and a 50-round clip are the main things that you should note. If you need something to compete with a rifle, just make a rifle by CC rules. Then you've not only got a pistol better than anything in the books, but a rifle too.

allso, if for whatever reason you loose that nice new gun of yous you have to dig up a weapon smith willing to make one, and you just made yourself one hell of a trademark (in the most negative way).

The above listed design would it as it would be off the shelf, no weapon smith required. You could just buy one from your local fixer. The above-listed design COULD be Ares's new top of the line design. Everyone who had the money would get one one way or another. All an investigator would know would be that whoever owned it was someone with a lot of money.

atleast my gun can be any of a billion guns out there (unless they have info about it on file, nothing a good decker cant take care off )

So could the above. Again, that would be the gun as it was fresh out of the factory. Ares Predator's may be more common, but they are also decidedly inferior to the above-listed design. If you've got the money and want a rather concealable gun that could kill a number of armored people in a hurry, the above-listed gun design would be perfect.
Connor
Are there any plans, even tentatively for a redesign of the CC rules? Or should I just do the smart thing and adopt Raygun's rules for firearms? biggrin.gif
motorfirebox
it's just as possible to make insanely badass firearms with raygun's spudman's FCG. the difference is, it's also possible to make really lame firearms with it, and the why's and wherefore's make more sense.
hobgoblin
any build rules can be munchied, just look at the mach 1,5 vehicles you can build with rigger 3 rules. the main 2 things you got to ask yourself, will it be fun to use and will the gm allow it? its just like cheating in computer games, sure its fun the first time round but the 5th or 6th its old hat (alltho some still use aimbots in FPS multiplayer games, go fig)...

oh, and i prefer picking up light pistols when i make chars (alltho i pack a smg fro when i knowshit happens, that suitcase one is realy nice:)) but then again most chars i make that are not tech or magic centerd usualy go for consealability over firepower (sometimes a shot in the leg is more useful then chunky salsa)...
otomik
QUOTE (Modesitt)
firing a really big round that gives +2 recoil on every shot including the first...

why? why would recoil effect the first shot? that always bothered me about how they handle the burst fire recoil (like why should i get a +3TN for a 3-round burst if the first shot couldn't suffer from any recoil effects).
Razorwire
I feel you otomik, that makes no sense. Anyone have any good justification for it?
Adarael
Except for the FN 5-7C, which fires light-pistol rounds at, uh, burst-fire speeds. Why would anyone ever use that POS?

Because if the FiveSeven was to use the real-world ammo it's supposed to, it could only fire APDS that fragmented upon entry. It's called the SS-190, and it penetrated 47 layers of ballistic kevlar in tests. Same round the FN P90 SMG uses, for you folks that know what that is. I wouldn't call it a 'light pistol' round, since the grain is so high, though.

Yes, this is a real world gun. The shadowrun equivalent simply uses burst-fire.

The downside is that just about any gun in SR can use APDS, as opposed to those specially designed to do so.
otomik
"The standard ball round, called the SS190, features an overall length of 1.6 inches (40.5 mm), a projectile weight of 31.0 grains (2.02 grams) and a muzzle velocity of 2,345 fps (715 mps). The SS190 projectile features steel core in front of an aluminum core toward the base. The bullet penetrates about 10 inches (26 cm) of 10 percent ballistic gelatin, according to testing conducted at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Academy in September 1997. The SS190 round will also penetrate 48 layers of Kevlar, the typical "Flak jacket" (including CRISAT protection, which is a combination of titanium and Kevlar) worn by infantry to protect them from shrapnel produced by exploding devices, or a standard PASGT (U.S. Kevlar) helmet at 150 meters (164 yards), which is the effective range of the P90 Personal Defense Weapon. The weapon will still defeat Level 3 body armor at 200 meters (219 yards). The "maximum effective range" using the NATO definition (the maximum range where a weapon's projectile will still deliver 85 joules on target) is 400 meters (437 yards). Thus, according to NATO standards, the P90 is theoretically able to deliver a lethal wound on a protected target at 200m and an unprotected target at 400m if the round hits a vital area. Personally, I would not be enthusiastic about engaging targets beyond 150m with the standard SS190 round."

quoted from remtek's files

so it's not "high grain" in fact the standard .22lr load of 40 grains is heavier than it. giving the FN57 a heavy pistol damage doesn't make much sense either since dispite it's excellent penetration it has little in the way of caliber and raw joules. The 5.7x28mm round is inspired by the soviet 5.45x18mm PSM round which the soviets how now adapted to a burst fire pistol in order to compensate for it's lack of power. The FN 5-7C is tothe FN Five-Seven as the Drotik is to the PSM.

In terms of the game i'd make the FN57, P90, PSM, all those types of weapons which use interesting cleaverly designed cartridges make them "apds only" weapons and give them damage codes like 10L (so they have to stage it up, it is low caliber after all and not forgiving of poor shot placement) and say apds is already factored in. then you just gotta get rid of apds in the normal weapons because it's a bunch of bs and overpowering for most other weapons.
Arethusa
The +2 recoil modifier for the Barrett seems to be less recoil and more a representation of the weapon's ungainliness. Probably was an attempt to have the thing not dragged around and used like a hunting rifle.

As for the Five-seveNC, it's really just a joke weapon. Read on.
Fortune
QUOTE (otomik)
...why would recoil effect the first shot?

I just change it in my games. The first burst is at +2, the second at +5. For Full Auto fire (10 rounds), the recoil modifier is +9.
Arethusa
The whole point of bursts getting the full +3 is pure game balance; without it, semiauto is even crappier than Shadowrun already makes it.
Fortune
In what way?
Laughlyn
otomik
You add the uncontrolled recoil to the entire burst, because the burst hits with every round fired when you hit. That at least partially balances the system out.

Adrael
Any weapon in real life CAN use APDS ammo. It's called a sabot round anyone who wants to bother can make them. Typically found in black powder weapons, shotgun slugs (rifled barrels), and available in military ammunition.

Overall
The Barrett 121 just proves that FASA did little or no research on weapon prior to printing. It also proves that if they ever did fire a weapon, they didn't remember any of it. Recoil only applies after the trigger is pulled. Provided the weapon is braced said recoil isn't going to add the equivalent of a +2 TN to a shot. That is, unless the person firing it is a little pansy who's afraid of the weapon.

Also if I had a weapon that took a simple action to fire and the first round always hit (well same TN as there's no recoil yet), why wouldn't I fire a 3 round burst? With no draw back and the ability to add 3 to the power and one damage level for the cost of 2 additional round…hell yeah!!!. Why wouldn't you?
AK404
So based on real-world reasoning, an assault rifle firing a three-round burst with caseless ammo wouldn't suffer a recoil modifier at all, right? (If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone'll tell me, but I'm just pulling out what I remember about the HK caseless project out of my head.)
Adarael
so it's not "high grain" in fact the standard .22lr load of 40 grains is heavier than it. giving the FN57 a heavy pistol damage doesn't make much sense either since dispite it's excellent penetration it has little in the way of caliber and raw joules.

You learn something new every day, I guess. My estimation that it's not 'low grain' is due to the bullet profile and lessened wind resistance when compared to a similarly sized bullet. I had no idea the 22lr was heavier by that much.

As to APDS being slotted in any weapon, you're right, Laughlyn - any weapon can. But there's no gradiation of effectiveness in Sabot rounds on SR. They're either APDS or they aren't. A standard Sabot round of similar size to the SS190 isn't going to be quite as effective because of the difference in materials; from what I've read, the SS190 has a higher tumble factor upon entry because the core is steel and aluminum. With a straight steel or copper core, the weight will tend to project through without distortion; with the addition of aluminum, which is lighter and easily deformed, the mushrooming lends the round to tumble upon penetration.

The net result is that while the rules are effectively the same in-game, the gun is probably more effective in its' own class than a sabot-equipped weapon of similar size.
Arethusa
Laughlyn: the +2 recoil modifier seems to've been put in place to represent the weapon being ungainly and unsuited for use as a combat rifle moreso than actual recoil, considering it can be completely compensated for by placing the weapon down on its bipod. This is an idea I'm personally fond of, really; recoil, in this use, is more of a misnomer than anything else.

AK404: it's not that it suffers no recoil, but that it suffers only minimal recoil in the time it takes for all three rounds to exit the weapon, allowing all three rounds to strike roughly the same area within reasonable engagement distances.

Adarael: The 5.7mm's tumbling after entry is something that's been PRed way out of proportion. Unless the round fragments or mushrooms, most are designed to tumble upon entering the target, and any dovetailed round will do this. It's not purely a materials issue, and it's not incredibly damaging. 5.7mm, while exceptionally effective for penetrating armor, is rather impotent once it's set about doing any real damage. It is, for this reason, a very specific round that does a very specific job very well, but is ultimately very, very unsuited for general work. That said, the results of loading a Five-seveN or P90 with some custom discarding sabot rounds would just be bizarre and probably useless for any realistic application.
Greyfoxx
the problem with burst(and FA), i guess, is that its hit all or miss all. No in between. They had to give a +recoil to every burst to balance it out.

I had to house rule some stuff regarding burst and FA to make it more realistic. (Well, we just based the firearm mechanics on Ravenshield, but we all agreed on its level of realism represented in our game, anyways.)
Arethusa
Gah. Raven Shield isn't even remotely realistic. Why would you do such a thing?
Greyfoxx
uh, well, because its impossible for me to get my hands on a real MP5?

Compared to most games, as i said the 'level' of realism is better than most. And Ravenshield (and all R6 games for that matter) is were me and my gaming buddies got to become friends. Its a mutual thing, you see. Anyhow since i have played the series all my computer gaming life, tell me why it's not realistic (referring to the handling of guns, that is)? Im assuming you know better. With your help, i just might improve my houserules for my game.

To make it simple, where is Ravenshield wrong in terms of gun handling, and recoil? How does real life gun handling works? Your suggestion, arethusa, will be greatly appreciated. smile.gif
Arethusa
Admittedly, I have a personal dislike for the R6 series, but if it's what you guys enjoy, nothing wrong with that. I just dislike the fact that the R6 series has been marketed as realistic when it's very, very far from that. Raven Shield essentially overcompensates for everything, from recoil that's unrealistically debilitating to a damage model that's ridiculously unforgiving and inconsistant to armor that doesn't nearly do its job to guns that are laughably inaccurate to a movement model that is exceptionally inflexible. But I'm getting a little melodramatic here, so bet place to start is (and I'm curious, myself): what modifications have you houseruled in?
Raygun
QUOTE (Laughlyn)
otomik
You add the uncontrolled recoil to the entire burst, because the burst hits with every round fired when you hit.  That at least partially balances the system out.

I think one thing that we can all agree on is that Shadowrun's all-or-nothing autofire rules are totally unrealitistic. That said, I don't really see how that extra point of recoil makes things any worse. I'm a fan of playing things realistically, but I'm also a fan of that realism being reflected in rules that are practical in terms of the time spent resolving combat. In this case, keeping or getting rid of this single point of recoil for burst/autofire is a pretty insignificant issue, if you ask me. Whether you use it or not doesn't make any huge difference. If you think things are better balanced using it, use it. If not, don't. Pretty simple.

There have been plenty of attempts at making more realistic autofire rules (including my own), but unfortunately, I have yet to be satisfied with any of them. It's difficult to make rules for things that are so random and chaotic without making them mind-numbingly cumbersome. But I think that anyone who is interested should try to come up with more-realistic-yet-easy-to-use autofire rules. I wish I had more time to get into it, but I just don't these days. If anyone wants to get into it again, I'd be happy to entertain the idea. Start a thread (or find one that already exists) or email me. If I like it, I'll put it up on my site.

Adrael
Any weapon in real life CAN use APDS ammo.  It's called a sabot round anyone who wants to bother can make them.  Typically found in black powder weapons, shotgun slugs (rifled barrels), and available in military ammunition. 

Notice how sabot munitions are not available in anything smaller than .30 caliber and are rarely produced for munitions smaller than .50 caliber. Deminishing returns. There's a point at which a sabot load provides more negative effects than positive effects, mainly A) lack of target effect (you can only make a bullet so small before it becomes practically useless, no matter how fast it's moving), B) inaccuracy (sub-caliber bullets are often not properly stabilized by the barrel's rifling, which is designed to stabilize a much larger bullet), and C) feeding reliability in automatic weapons.

There are several types of small-caliber cartridges, namely those used weapons like assault rifles and PDWs, that cannot benefit from sabotted ammunition. Mostly for lack of powder capacity, handgun cartridges will also benefit little from the use of sabotted ammunition.

Overall
Also if I had a weapon that took a simple action to fire and the first round always hit (well same TN as there's no recoil yet), why wouldn't I fire a 3 round burst?  With no draw back and the ability to add 3 to the power and one damage level for the cost of 2 additional round…hell yeah!!!.  Why wouldn't you?

A) there is a drawback: you still get a +2 recoil modifier, B) If you're only going to use a +2 recoil modifier, you should probably try to be consistent and only add 2 to the power level along with the additional damage level (6L to 8M, 9M to 11S), and C) there's no gaurantee that your first round will hit.

QUOTE (AK404)
So based on real-world reasoning, an assault rifle firing a three-round burst with caseless ammo wouldn't suffer a recoil modifier at all, right? (If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone'll tell me, but I'm just pulling out what I remember about the HK caseless project out of my head.)

To expound on what Arethusa said, the G11 has what we Shadowrun players would refer to as "internal recoil compensation". The entire barrelled action and magazine actually recoils inside the rifle's body, the second two rounds being fired while the action is in the process of recoiling from the first round. By the time the recoil force from the full burst terminates into the shooter's body, all three bullets are well downrange. The Russian AN-94 does the same thing with cased ammunition in a 2-round burst @ 1800 rpm.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Laughlyn: the +2 recoil modifier seems to've been put in place to represent the weapon being ungainly and unsuited for use as a combat rifle moreso than actual recoil, considering it can be completely compensated for by placing the weapon down on its bipod.

Which is another completely fucked rule, as anyone who has ever fired a rifle from a bipod will tell you that said bipod does just about jack-all to help control recoil. A bipod provides a sturdy platform to aim from (just like a tree branch, a ruck sack, or the roof of your car would), but other than because of its additional mass (which usually isn't much), a bipod in itself does nothing to control recoil. Additional -1 to aim at long range? Fine. -2 Recoil? Gay.
Greyfoxx
Im probably biased so forgive me, but...

Ravenshield isnt overcompensated, it seems that way because the computer AI are quite unrealistically very capable of calling shots to the head most of the time, making the game quite deadly. We play Team vs Team lan games, though, so its really hard to call shots, and so far, the most bullets ive managed to survive was a whole 30rnd clip from a TMP allover the torso area (that's wearing standard armor, of course, not all of the bullets hit, but still).

As for the too much recoil. It depends on the player, actually, as the crosshair goes up, it is required for the player to pull his mouse(gun) down to control the recoil. With enough practice, you would be able to pump out full 5 shot burst from ARs without problems. Burst fires are pretty stable, unless your bursting with the heavier M14s and FALs, which, again, can be compensated with practice. I especially like FALs, and TMPs (which almost practically has NO recoil to worry about, those TMPs) for close quarters.

Anyway, what we like in R6 that we dont see in the SR rules is when you point a, say, TMP on a targets head at 10m, your suppose to have sorta like a circle where the bullets will scatter around, and the fact that your firing at something like 15 rounds per second ought to give you a chance that maybe some of those bullets might actually hit the head.

My houserule is pretty long though, and adds new stats to guns, so its really not SRish, for me to discuss it here. The basic concept is all range attack gives a base TN of 4 (short range) even if your firing burst or full auto. after the attack (assuming its burst or FA), you roll dice equivalent to the number of shots you made against a TN with a base of no. of shots fired and is affected by your number of success(to reduce TN), the recoil value of the gun(the new gun stat which increases TN) and the range and movement mod(which again increases TN) and the gun handling(again a new gun stat) which limits the TN increase to a certain point (machine pistols are very good at this, as its also modified by grips and gyromounts).

The end result, it made machine pistols and some SMGs better at FA than alot of the ARs and MGs, though burst fires are still very manageable even when using heavier guns. Also, it benefits very fast firing guns (miniguns) since even though the TN maybe skyhigh, there is a decent chance that some bullets will still hit.

Its just our way of computing how much lead actually hit the target. Everything else is computed as is.
Laughlyn
AK404
No on said that you wouldn't suffer from recoil when firing a 3 round burst. Some assault rifles out there have enough recoil compensation built in to negate a good portion of the recoil and allow you get 3 rounds on target most of the time.

Adrael
It really depends on too much to just assume that it's a better APDS. There are many weapons out that don't need to use sabot to get the desired effect. A straight tungsten penetrator works just as well. Or a larger round with slightly less tumble, etc. If there truly was an "ultimate round" out there, you'd see it in use. While one round may be best out there, there are other considerations. Cost, restructuring, range, accuracy and not just in a test environment.

Arthesua
That's still a load of crap. Either the weapon is inaccurate or it isn't. If it's ungainly you add a different rule to it. Like you have to have aim for 2 simple actions prior to use or you get a +1 TN for each simple action you do not aim. Etc. The idea that a weapon kicks like an 6 year old holding his dads 12ga crack open single shot shotgun causes you incur a +2 TN for recoil is a joke. Try firing a high-powered weapon. Ungainly or not, it's not going to kick so bad you miss.

Raygun
My comment was to the idea that Fortune and Arethusa seem to think that the first round of a burst should not incur the recoil penalty. If that was the case I can't seem to find a good reason not to use a burst fire. I would get the normal chance for the first to round to hit and +3 TN for the burst as a whole to hit. Allow me at a minimum to hit with a single round and decent chance for the burst. All at the cost of just 2 extra rounds. With that logic, why not do it?

Also just because a round isn't APDS (sabot round) doesn't mean that the round can't have nearly the same effect as it does in the game. Which is just the ability to punch through armor. The rules don't allow it to do anything else for you. So with that in mind there are very similar effects to be had. Almost all military rifles have an armor piercing round and in game terms that's the same thing as APDS. If you look at the 5.56 NATO and the 7.62 NATO rounds, the military does have AP ammo. In game terms it's exactly the same thing.

As for bipods, I don't allow it to count for recoil compensation unless it's properly braced. Like you have bipod up against the curb (or similar non-moveable item) and you're forcing it forward with your body weight. Works well with a M60, M240, M249, and MG3. The only problem there is that it makes traversing the weapon around that much harder. Otherwise I just allow it count as one simple action of aiming when used correctly.

Miniguns
Miniguns are not inaccurate. Look them up. Do you think that weapon that sucked would be used from Vietnam to now? No. They simply do what they are supposed to do. That is they throw a crapload of lead down range really fast. With a 2k-4k ROF you can zig zag across your target and target area and ensure that that small portion of the world is not hamburger, sawdust and freshly aerated ground. The only draw back is the massive amounts of ammo that it consumes.
Fortune
QUOTE (Raygun)
...there is a drawback: you still get a +2 recoil modifier, B) If you're only going to use a +2 recoil modifier, you should probably try to be consistent and only add 2 to the power level along with the additional damage level (6L to 8M, 9M to 11S),  and C) there's no gaurantee that your first round will hit.

I do adjust things this way. I just failed to mention it in my previous post.
QUOTE (Laughlyn)
My comment was to the idea that Fortune and Arethusa seem to think that the first round of a burst should not incur the recoil penalty.  If that was the case I can't seem to find a good reason not to use a burst fire.  I would get the normal chance for the first to round to hit and +3 TN for the burst as a whole to hit.  Allow me at a minimum to hit with a single round and decent chance for the burst.  All at the cost of just 2 extra rounds.  With that logic, why not do it?

Why would recoil apply to the first bullet fired in a burst?

Round #1 = no recoil.
Round #2 = cumulative recoil penalty of 1
Round #3 = cumulative recoil penalty of 2

This seems to make sense to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.
Arethusa
Laughlyn and Raygun: I've stated this time and time again: the +2 recoil modifier applying on the first shot is not actual recoil; it's just representative of the fact that the gun's massive and a pain int he ass to aim every single time the gun is fired. Calling it a recoil modifier was, far as I can tell, intended to simplify things in the GM's mind, but it is not, in any way, recoil. Your suggestion of a base +2 with an allowance for two simple actions spent aiming is numerically almost identical. Is the mess with bipods providing recoil comp stupid and unrelistic? Hell yes; I'm not disagreeing with you there. But so are a lot of the other firearms rules, and it at least makes some modicum of sense within canon.

Fortune: The reason recoil applies to the first round in the burst is because SR currently has all rounds land on target or none at all (or, depending on your point of view, the number of rounds landing on target determined by damage staging), and a measly +2 to add 2 to power and one to the damage code essentially makes single shots completely impotent. This is not how it works in real life.
Laughlyn
Fortune
Logically the first round of a burst would not be affected by recoil. However on that same hand, logically, though the power of an attack is not enhanced by more bullets as it is in Shadowrun. If you fire a 3 round burst and all 3 rounds hit the target you would apply each round against the armor and the body test. You would not lump it all together and simply add to the power and make it one level deadlier.

Arethusa
Right, we understand that. I understand (I'm positive that Raygun does also) that the people who wrote that into the rules know little or nothing about firearms. In essence the rule is bogus. It was simply added in because someone who didn't know better felt it was needed. With a weapon like that (high recoil and high energy output) you simply can't just up and fire the weapon without aiming it properly and hope to hit anything. That and the weapon can't be any more unwieldy than a M240 or M60. That is big, heavy, lopsided and prone to getting stuck on things (more so with the M60). The weapon would have never made it past prototype. If it did manage to make it past prototype it would have been upgrade in the last … 5 years isn't it?
Arethusa
Actually, I'd say a Barrett 121 (or, in real life, its size being equivalent for an M82 or thereabouts) is more unweildy than an M249 (or equivalent) by a fair bit. It's not just mass and rotational inerta; it's also a balancing and ergonomics issue.

Still, I do agree that the rule makes little sense— or, at the very least, little sense in the scope of SR, where no other weapons, assault cannon included, recieve such penalties. And I may be entirely wrong on assuming the intent was to represent a cumbersome weapon; judging by the ridiculosity present in the rest of the firearms rules, the person putting it together may've just assumed that recoil would affect the first shot. Not like that's exactly out of the realm of possibility.
Fortune
QUOTE (Arethusa)
The reason recoil applies to the first round in the burst is because SR currently has all rounds land on target or none at all (or, depending on your point of view, the number of rounds landing on target determined by damage staging), and a measly +2 to add 2 to power and one to the damage code essentially makes single shots completely impotent.  This is not how it works in real life.

I never said it was how things worked 'in real life'. As to the number of bullets that actually hit, that is determined (at least in my games) by staging, etc, as you mentioned. I never assume that each and every bullet in a burst hits in the attack succeeds.

I am looking at alternative burst and auto-fire rules at the moment, but with the proviso that there still only be one roll to hit. smile.gif

I still don't see why you would think that this minor adjustment would make single shots (or SA) impotent though.
QUOTE (Laughlyn)
Logically the first round of a burst would not be affected by recoil.  However on that same hand, logically, though the power of an attack is not enhanced by more bullets as it is in Shadowrun.  If you fire a 3 round burst and all 3 rounds hit the target you would apply each round against the armor and the body test.  You would not lump it all together and simply add to the power and make it one level deadlier.

That's true, but as I stated above, just because the attack succeeds does not mean that every round in the burst is on target. Combat is abstract in Shadowrun, and this minor adjustment is not dramatic enough to change things too much.
Arethusa
Problem with assuming that damage after staging determines number of rounds that land on target is that there may be rounds that keep going without impacting the target that the rules don't account for. Even if you do want to look at it that way, the core SR rules seem to've been designed with all rounds impacting in mind.
Fortune
Yeah well, as I said, I'm testing an alternate system for burst and auto-fire that would take those kinds of things into account. smile.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Laughlyn)
Raygun
My comment was to the idea that Fortune and Arethusa seem to think that the first round of a burst should not incur the recoil penalty. If that was the case I can't seem to find a good reason not to use a burst fire.

With the all-or-nothing autofire rules, there really isn't any reason not to fire bursts if you can, whether or not that "balance point of recoil" is there. That single extra point of recoil is pretty insignificant and is really not worth all of this argument. If you think it needs to be there, use it. If you don't, then don't use it.

Personally, I don't really give a shit. It kind of bothers me that it's there for a seemingly arbitrary reason, but the whole of the autofire rules bother me more. The only thing that removing this point of recoil is going to do is satisfy your sense of reality a little itty bitty bit. The rest of the rules are so fucked that it really doesn't make any difference one way or the other. You might as well tackle the whole of the autofire rules. But if you think the autofire rules work fine the way they are, then great. Have fun.

Also just because a round isn't APDS (sabot round) doesn't mean that the round can't have nearly the same effect as it does in the game.

That's fine and all, but that's not what I was commenting on. You said that in reality, any firearm can use sabotted ammunition. I was refuting that claim. That's all. What effects AP ammunition as opposed to APDS have in the game are up to you.

As for bipods, I don't allow it to count for recoil compensation unless it's properly braced.  Like you have bipod up against the curb (or similar non-moveable item) and you're forcing it forward with your body weight.  Works well with a M60, M240, M249, and MG3.  The only problem there is that it makes traversing the weapon around that much harder.  Otherwise I just allow it count as one simple action of aiming when used correctly.

That's a good way to handle it, I think.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Laughlyn and Raygun: I've stated this time and time again: the +2 recoil modifier applying on the first shot is not actual recoil; it's just representative of the fact that the gun's massive and a pain int he ass to aim every single time the gun is fired. Calling it a recoil modifier was, far as I can tell, intended to simplify things in the GM's mind, but it is not, in any way, recoil.

Here's why I don't agree with your justification on this matter.

The Barrett M121 is a heavy weapon, which, by Shadowrun rules, means that uncompensated recoil is doubled (SR3.110). Seeing as it is also a semi-automatic rifle, double the uncompensated recoil would mean a +2 recoil modifier. Recoil NEVER affects the first shot in semi-auto (again, SR3.110). That means that if you choose to fire both simple actions in your phase, you get to deal with a +2 modifier on the second action only. Assault cannons, being heavy weapons, suffer from the same penalty.

I don't think the writers intended to factor in some kind of "cumbersome" penalty in the form of a recoil modifier. That just doesn't make any sense. Not only does it not make any sense as far as rules are concerned, it doesn't make any sense in reality. While the Barrett rifles are definitely more unweildy than something like an M249 (I agree with you on that), it's no more difficult to USE one than it is any other kind of sniper rifle. Repeat: it is no more a pain in the ass to aim a Barrett M82A1 than it is any other kind of purpose-built sniper rifle (from a supported position, which is how all sniper rifles are intended to be used). You go prone, look through the scope and pull the trigger. The only differences come in when you're hauling the thing around, a factor that is represented by the "Hauling The Load" rules (SR3.274) and in dealing with recoil.
Laughlyn
Arethusa
Look the weapons I mentioned; the M249 was not one of them. The weights on the M60 and M240 are higher than that of the M249.

Fortune
Right, me and everyone else understand that it's an abstract combat system. That doesn't change that the first round fired is still effected by all of the recoil (in the game).

The reason why I think it makes single shot meaning less (from weapons that do SA and BF for a simple action) is that you have no penalty for firing a burst. No combined recoil from shot to shot and you only spend two rounds for a good chance of hitting with the burst. You incur no penalty for a firing a burst (in regard to the first round hitting). So with a weapon holding 30 rounds you could pop 10 burst one right after the other without readjusting for recoil and every 3rd round would be completely unaffected by any recoil. Did I miss something?
Fortune
QUOTE (Raygun)
Assault cannons, being heavy weapons, suffer from the same penalty.

Aren't most, if not all Assault Cannons Single Shot (SS) only?
Laughlyn
Raygun, maybe I'm missing it. If I take a standard round like 5.56mm and make a sabot out of material that weighs the same as the original round, though thinner …3-4mm (tungsten alloy or the like). Are you saying that it can't be done? I know it may not worth the time and effort, but it can be done. The round is just as heavy but now it has all the properties of APDS.
Fortune
QUOTE (Laughlyn)
The reason why I think it makes single shot meaning less (from weapons that do SA and BF for a simple action) is that you have no penalty for firing a burst. No combined recoil from shot to shot and you only spend two rounds for a good chance of hitting with the burst. You incur no penalty for a firing a burst (in regard to the first round hitting). So with a weapon holding 30 rounds you could pop 10 burst one right after the other without readjusting for recoil and every 3rd round would be completely unaffected by any recoil. Did I miss something?

I still don't follow, I must be dense today. frown.gif

Firing in SA mode:
First shot (Simple Action) = no recoil penalty
Second shot = +1 TN recoil penalty

Firing in BF mode:
First burst (Simple Action) = +2 TN recoil penalty
Second Burst = +5 TN recoil penalty

The above, of course, assumes that there is no Recoil Compensation in use.
Raygun
QUOTE (Fortune)
Aren't most, if not all Assault Cannons Single Shot (SS) only?

Actually, yes, they are. Something I overlooked.

QUOTE (Laughlyn)
Raygun, maybe I'm missing it. If I take a standard round like 5.56mm and make a sabot out of material that weighs the same as the original round, though thinner …3-4mm (tungsten alloy or the like). Are you saying that it can't be done? I know it may not worth the time and effort, but it can be done. The round is just as heavy but now it has all the properties of APDS.

No, it doesn't. The entire point of APDS is to use a very hard bullet of smaller size and weight so that velocity and thus penetration potential is substantially increased. There is absolutely no point in using a sabot if the projectile is of the same weight as the non-sabot projectile. Velocity will be roughly the same.

If you were to make a projectile of the same weight but of smaller diameter, you'll be making that projectile longer. This has two side effects. 1) The penetrator, must be seated back into the powder space, taking up space that would otherwise be occupied by propellant powder, meaning that either less powder can be added (which will reduce velocity) or pressure will increase (causing more recoil and potential reliability issues with automatic weapons). 2) The increased length of the projectile requires a faster rate of rifling twist in order to properly stabilize it in flight. The weapon (at least its barrel) would have to be designed specifically to stabilized that projectile if accuracy is expected to be maintained. This fast rate of twist would overstabilize more conventional types of bullets, and would also lead to increased recoil and barrel wear.

Now, if you do it the right way and reduce the projecile's weight along with its diameter, in 5.56mm you'll end up with say a 3.5mm bullet that weighs about 30 grains and moves at, oh, 4200 fps. You're developing plenty of energy (1175 fpe) and a little tiny bullet like that will puncture body armor pretty easily, but it's still just a 3.5mm, 30 grain bullet! It won't deform or fragment because it's made out of super-hard shit, it's moving so fast that it's unlikely to transfer all of that energy (will overpenetrate), and it doesn't have the mass to disrupt enough tissue to put anyone out of a fight unless you hit them either several times or somewhere very vital.

Yes it is possible. No it is not practical.
Orient
There is a rule to counter the all-or-nothing aspect of bursts in full auto. 'Searching Fire', CC p. 103. You exchange the burst-based damage increase for extra dice.

The rules say that "all standard combat modifiers apply." If that includes recoil, then the problem really isn't solved. Sort of a step in the right direction, though.
otomik
interesting, sounds a bit like the AP ammo from cyberpunk, 1/2 armor but what does penetrate inflicts only 1/2 damage.

One new AP type cartridge that interests me is RBCD ammo and the more exotic "blended metal" bullets both of which seem to pull off that elusive goal of penetration hard shit and expanding in softies. raygun, i'm curious what do you think about this stuff?
Raygun
I'm inclined to think that it's mostly marketing horseshit, on par with Extreme Shock. IWBA tested it and came away with the results you'd pretty much expect. No improvement over existing technology. LEMAS responded with plenty of pictures of holes in meat, with someone's fingers in every hole in every picture. (Not very scientific, there.)
Laughlyn
Raygun if you take a lead slug with a copper jacket and compare it to a heavier substance (ie tungsten alloy) you could easily make it slimmer without making it longer and still be the same weight.

The point of APDS ammo in Shadowrun (as I keep mentioning) is that the harder substance penetrates armor better than the standard slug. It doesn't add range, it doesn't add damage, all it does is reduce armor and punch holes in said armor. Again this is in reference to Shadowrun.
Arethusa
That being the case, only argument here is that SR APDS has more in common with real life AP than any of this discarding sabot nonsense.
Raygun
QUOTE (Laughlyn)
Raygun if you take a lead slug with a copper jacket and compare it to a heavier substance (ie tungsten alloy) you could easily make it slimmer without making it longer and still be the same weight.

If we're comparing lead/tin/antimony alloy (density @ 11 g/cm³) to tungsten carbide (@ 15 g/cm³), in a very small caliber bullet, we're talking about a difference of three or four millimeters, tops. While that does make a difference, the difference is not substantial. But that's all beside the point.

The point of using a sabot (in armor piercing munitions) is to increase velocity. Therefore, a projectile of lighter weight is essential. The sabot is there to keep it in place. You NEED a lighter projectile. All this talk about projectiles of the same weight is academic and pretty much irrelevant.

The point of APDS ammo in Shadowrun (as I keep mentioning) is that the harder substance penetrates armor better than the standard slug. It doesn't add range, it doesn't add damage, all it does is reduce armor and punch holes in said armor. Again this is in reference to Shadowrun.

I understand what you're saying about Shadowrun, Laughlyn. Again, that has absolutely nothing to do with the statement you made that I'm refuting. Forget the game. The game doesn't matter here. You said that "any weapon in real life CAN use APDS ammo". I disagree. While you probably could sabot a 3.5mm projectile in a 5.56mm cartridge case, the end result will cost more and produce less effect than a larger caliber round will. Therefore, your statement is false. Shadowrun has nothing to do with it. Let's try not to get too confused here.
Laughlyn
No is confused, least of all me. The point is, it can be done. As I've said already it may or may not be worth your time and effort. I don't know how much more plain I can make that. My original post on the point even said as much. I can quote it for you if you'd like.

Tell me, what's this is? (below link)
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m993.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012