Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Spell Idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
So friend of mine wants to design a beneficial spell that would somehow add to the movement of a PC w/o having to sustain it like Increased Quickness and to avoid a killer Drain.

The idea is to design something that acts similar to Pain Resistance, in that you would cast the spell, it would become permanent, but the effects would disappear as they were used.

We've initially modelled it after Pain Resistance so the question is, what to do with the successes? Just add to Quickness (but for movement not Reaction)? Have it create a Movement Point pool that would allow the Target to get X (where X = successes) addition Movement Points for the Combat Phase? Etc.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.
Herald of Verjigorm
Look at ritual sorcery. It has an option to sustain a spell for a number of hours as a result of the ritual. It lets you get the continuing effect without a sustaining focus, quickening, or the +2 to TNs.
RedmondLarry
See guidelines in MITS p. 30 for designing Permanent Spells. As a general rule, the only permanent spells that provide a game bonus should be ones that restore a person or item to a previous condition. E.g. repairing an item, healing wounds. Cosmetic changes, such as appearance of items, makeup, cleanliness, are also good candidates.

Your friend is showing munchkin tendencies because he's asking for a spell which does something already available in the game as a spell, but wants it with less penalties and less drain. Tell him he has to buy a sustaining focus or use quickening, and must use Increased Quickness. That's what's already designed into the game.

Repent. Tell him you've learned the error of your ways and won't help him be a munchkin. When you learn to tell him NO the first time, you will have increased your GM SKILL by 1.
GrinderTheTroll
LOL.

Honestly, he's not trying to abuse the system, but looking for other way to increase his movement. The idea was to get a speed-boost instead of a more traditional sustained effect.

Actually your comment about Health spells "only permanent spells that provide a game bonus should be ones that restore a person or item to a previous condition" explains alot.

Thanks again.
snowRaven
It shouldn't be a permanent spell, and especially not one that works like you proposed. Nothing would prevent the PC to always cast the spell during downtime and have constant access to a 'movement pool' to be used when necessary. Broken.

If he wants a spell to increase movement, model it after Increased Reflexes, but add to movement multiplier instead. Drain code should reduce by 1 level (I think) and use Quickness as base for the TN.
Kagetenshi
Or you could have it be permanent in the same way that Healthy Glow is permanent. Of course, killer drain is exactly what that'd have to have (just off the top of my head I'd give it +2S or +1D at minimum).

~J
Friggas Ring
What about an instant spell that only increases his speed for the phase or turn its cast? I think that sounds a little more reasonable.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Friggas Ring)
What about an instant spell that only increases his speed for the phase or turn its cast? I think that sounds a little more reasonable.

only if it's sustained. Spells don't work that way.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Sep 11 2004, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (Friggas Ring @ Sep 11 2004, 12:53 AM)

That's why Pain Resistance sticks in my brain or any of the other "permanent" spells. I know they are health, but providing non-sustained benefits is just really discounted directly or not explored in MITS or SR3.

Thanks for all the feed-back.
Cochise
How about recreating it as some kind of spell version of "attribute boost": Make it "instant" (in terms of duration) with a but have it wear off after a determined amount of time (similar to the "Mist" spell) that is calculated from the spell's successes (e.g. 1 successes = 1 combat turn with a max of the spell's force or force * 2). Quick goes up by the spell's force. TN for casting would be Quickness.
After the spell wear's off the subject person suffers Force M Stun (no armor applicable) from exessive abuse of his muscles ...

BitBasher
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Sep 11 2004, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (Friggas Ring @ Sep 11 2004, 12:53 AM)

That's why Pain Resistance sticks in my brain or any of the other "permanent" spells. I know they are health, but providing non-sustained benefits is just really discounted directly or not explored in MITS or SR3.

Thanks for all the feed-back.

No, because as explained above they fall under the exemption of permanent spells listed as "returns something to a previous state" like other spells such as Healthy Glow, Treat and Heal. They are returning your sensory stimuli to it's previous undamaged state, allowing you to ignore the wound modifiers caused by pain.

It's not explored because except for that case, spells in SR don't work that way.
GrinderTheTroll
IIRC, Pain Resistance is cast prior to taking the wounds, once you score more wound boxes than successes, you feel all the effects of the wounds.

Pain Resistance is doing the opposite: It's not restoring anything, but maintaining the prevention of penalties. The "permanent" effects are lasting until you get wonded enough and "the effects" wear off.
BitBasher
Having just looked it up there's nothing in the spell description for Resist Pain that indicates it can be cast in advance, on the contrary is says that if the damage condition monitor increases, the spell dissipates. It says it eliminates the wound effects from pain by boosting endorphins, and those endorphin levels stay raised until more damage is take or the damage is healed. That's it. If you cast it when you have no damage, as soon as you take a box the spell vanishes, which is pointless.
Tanka
Let him design the spell. Take a look at it. If you don't like it, deny it. It's your right as the GM.

I could see it like the following, maybe. Increased Movement, increases running modifier by 1 for every two success, with the TN being your Quickness. Sure, it means the "average" Human Mage of Qui 2 will get pretty fast, but, again, he's only Qui 2, so he may only be able to keep up with the Human of Qui 5. (Under above example, he'd need 8 success to do so, though.)
Dashifen
QUOTE (tanka @ Sep 13 2004, 06:28 PM)
I could see it like the following, maybe.  Increased Movement, increases running modifier by 1 for every two success, with the TN being your Quickness.  Sure, it means the "average" Human Mage of Qui 2 will get pretty fast, but, again, he's only Qui 2, so he may only be able to keep up with the Human of Qui 5.  (Under above example, he'd need 8 success to do so, though.)

I made a Mouse shaman with that spell, or similar to it. He was a while ago and didn't work out that well. But I did end up using this spell stacked a few times to catch up to a getaway car that left without me.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Having just looked it up there's nothing in the spell description for Resist Pain that indicates it can be cast in advance, on the contrary is says that if the damage condition monitor increases, the spell dissipates. It says it eliminates the wound effects from pain by boosting endorphins, and those endorphin levels stay raised until more damage is take or the damage is healed. That's it. If you cast it when you have no damage, as soon as you take a box the spell vanishes, which is pointless.

Yeah I went back to re-read this, looks like I mis-read what I thought it was, hehe. dead.gif

But the line about endorphins got me thinking about, writing a spell that boosted Adrenaline levels, maybe somthing similar to Adrenal Pump in Bioware.

Still playing with the idea.
BitBasher
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (BitBasher)

Yeah I went back to re-read this, looks like I mis-read what I thought it was, hehe. dead.gif

But the line about endorphins got me thinking about, writing a spell that boosted Adrenaline levels, maybe somthing similar to Adrenal Pump in Bioware.

Still playing with the idea.

And that would NOT be within the exception of "returning it to it's original state" so the spell would be sustained. biggrin.gif
GrinderTheTroll
Damnit BitBasher you are a buzzkill. sarcastic.gif

Couldn't you argue that Adrenaline is present in your blood steam? Couldn't you Magically stimulate production of Adrenaline or something? Sounds like a health thingy, I'd need to read Oxygenate again.
BitBasher
I'm good at being a buzzkill, I'm an Evil GM™. smile.gif

I dont have a book here at work but IIRC Oxygenate may work that way, but then again it may be sustained, I can't remember which.
GrinderTheTroll
No book here either, anyone got the stats on Oxygenate handy? Now that I think of it, I think it might be Manipulation.
RedmondLarry
Oxygenate is a Health Spell. Of course it is sustained.

Every magician should spend 1 Karma Point to learn a spell that will make him never drown while conscious. Wouldn't you? I've known a Shark Shaman who even took it as "Oxygenate Self". He also had "Treat Self".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012