Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to create national community?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mattness pl
Hello, Boys and Girls!
Name's mattness pl. As you see my meat body;) is in Poland right now. Dumpschock is great place, but i felt with SOTA(and loose news about Shadowrun for about 7 years). I try to gather polish SR fans. It's matter of days when forum will start. I started big commercial action in polish net. There's about 100 people interested(at least 20 registered in new forum just to vote, to give sign of life). The problem is... Polish lack of knowledge about shudowrun. I never played 3rd edition. But I've collected almost all 2nd ed. sourcebooks. So maybe I'm not know all current events:) .
That's only part of problem - Shadowrun was printed in polish. BUT ONLY 2nd SR & 3 !!!(Yes, three) sourcebooks(and card system btw.).
So avarage polish runner knows:
- SSC - street Samurai Catalog
- Grimoire
- Companion(Oh, there are "SR: missions" too)
They don't know biowares, they don't know loas, they don't even know cover fire(that rule appeared in FoF as I remember)they just suspect how Seattle looks like ohplease.gif . And I forgot what else I'm overlooked.
Do you have any idea what can be interesting for them? Any tips? Please guys, HELP!
Paul
Play to the games strengths. It's a fun and exciting alternative to D&D, and a lot of other traditionally popular games. (I'd paint it that way, and not as better, that way you don't create any bad blood. Especially since most players play more than one system.)

Get ahold of the Shadows of Europe Book, which is available on line froma number of sources, and read the section on Poland. Relate it to the locals. Make them intrested. Remember not all games are set in Seattle.

Hopefully in good Polish:

Grają do mocy gr. To jest zabawą i pobudzający (podniecenie; zdumiewający) alternatywa *D*&*D*, i wielka ilość inny tradycyjnie popularne gry. (mam barwa to co (żeby; który) droga (środek), i nie jak (ponieważ) lepszy (lepiej), co (żeby; który) droga (środek) wy nie tworzycie wszelką złą krew. Szczególnie zaczynając od (od czasu; od tego czasu, jak) najwięcej (najbardziej; największa część) gracze grają więcej niż jed system.) Otrzymują (dostawać; rozumieć) *ahold* Cieni Europy Książka (rezerwować; książkowy), który jest dostępny na linii (wiersz) *froma* liczba (ilość) źródeł, i przeczytany rozdział na Polsce. Mają związek to do miejscowych. Wyrabiają & (oni) *intrested*. Pamiętają (przypominać sobie) nie całe gry są umieszczane w *Seattle*.
mattness pl
Paul - you're advices helped since then. Really. Read more
Hopefully in good Polish:

I'm afraid not smile.gif . Thanks for translation - but write in English wink.gif . Please.

The site exist since september. We change servers 4 times:
(Premiere was 10. september. Day after, on 9-11 our host was attacked by arabian terrorists. :/ . We tried lycos, but it sucks... Next server: after 2 months HDD was destroyed, next one: nytka.org has some financial problems with provider. Right now: we are on commercial polish server. I Hope there will be no problems in 2005...).

Now official crap:

GRAND OPENING

Since 01.03.2005 we went official. We've got 47 polish runners in our database, we have plenty of project ideas (and "Shadows of Poland" is our main smile.gif - coordinator is author of Poland chapter in SoE). Add 6 short stories, gallery, download, 147 news & articles. And more than 130 topics on forum. And PBB.

My goal... No. My dream is to create strong Shadowrun community. My English is too bad to try lead (to motivate) you, guys. So I'll try on my own turf.
Wish me luck, grant me permission to translate your SR fan materials, if there is somebody fluent in polish & English - I hope you will contact me.
Wish you best, chummers wink.gif
MATT

Paul, I'm really thankful for your feedback right then smile.gif
mmu1
Well, I tried to register a while ago, and could never get the damn board to let me - tried several times, then gave up. (and was too distracted by various real-life crap since to try again - sorry)

Is this the same board, or something new?
mattness pl
Good to see you mmu1 smile.gif
It's SITE right now. (the board you mentioned still exist, but we don't use it anymore. And administration problem you're said is sa, but true. That's why we started our own site).
Try
Shadowrun Polska
btw. Tell me what you're think : mattness<at>op.pl
mattness pl
We just finalised graphic contest.
You can see the effect in our gallery
If you're too lasy here's Slideshow.
Hope you like it.

Eismann from shadowrun.de was so nice, and let me translate location maps into polish. (even if you don't know german you should check this out. That's maps kick asses biggrin.gif ).

Nikoli
Good luck in your endeavors, I know little of Poland, but am always happy to meet new Runners.
Backgammon
Some of those drawings are very good!
mattness pl
Oh - I forgot - the second part of our little team - Palik - is working under Shadowrun comic (for now: in polish. But we are pretty ambitious wink.gif ).
Here are promos:
Bolo, rigger wannabe
Lula, spellcasting / charming (word play) femme fatale

EDIT: Oh - we've got 95 polish runners in our database;
207 news, articles and short stories.

Month ago polish editing house (ISA - they printed Shadowrun, second edition in polish) choose our site as official polish Shadowrun site....
Grinder
Don't try to start too many projects at the same time. As i can tell you from the german earthdawn-forums, it won't work. We tried so much, but rarely finished one. People quickly loose interest, time or whatever to bring a project to an end. So start with one or two projects and you'll see quickly which people are willing to work to the bitter end.
mattness pl
Grinder - that's easy - don't count on anybody else except yourself.
Grinder
There will be one or two other ambitious people besides you. But one of you has to become the leader who kicks the people in the butt and reminds them to do their work.
mattness pl
I'm founder and leader of da project. Only ass I kick is main, when I'm tired. And then I'm back in business, doing my part of job smile.gif .

EDIT: I think there's no worst thing than became too dependable - when I started, I didn't realised that. Right now I try to push things in few direction simultanesly.
If 2, 3 ideas didn't catch, fourth one is finished.
For now I've got plenty of ideas, and lots of work. Few things (see above) are done.
There is a polish quote I very like "We should do our job".
I try to.
For now, most things are running as I planned.
hermit
What I have found very useful in keeping a project alive (in my case, a games mod for Morrowind) is a quasi-democratic system where a "government" is formed out of the most dedicated members, and if one of them loses interest, the rest elect a new one form the common people fo the forum. Kept that mod alive for four years already. smile.gif
JongWK
Nice pictures. Who's the guy who did the computer graphics? (the tank, the highway, etc)
mattness pl
QUOTE (JongWK)
Nice pictures. Who's the guy who did the computer graphics? (the tank, the highway, etc)

rudszy
Daegann
> I really hope you can succeed to create a polish comunity. ^^
Cheers
> Daegann
mattness pl
Daegann - We really try smile.gif . Maybe now you understand, why I still didn't translate your programm...

EDIT: Daerun is translated in polish already.
You can acqire polish version on Daegann site and on Shadowrun Polska
mattness pl
New Gallery

Enjoy smile.gif
mattness pl
After 1 and half year of struggling, we've got our own, custom made layout.
Author: fedor.

http://www.shadowrun.pro24.pl/srpl/index.php
Check it out!

Fedor also made brand new logo of our site
Other propositions (loosers :bigrin: ):
by Qba
by koshal
by TWYLD
TWYLD no2
Qba no2
TWYLD 3

Our old logo

Few latest pictures from our gallery

We made some adventure in pdf, but it's only polish version, so I don't place link here.
Platinum
I really like the logo and design.

Would be much easier to read if it was in english grinbig.gif
mfb
congrats, that's a very slick-looking site.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
I'm 3rd-generation Polish, and unfortunately speak very very little-but I do have a friend who is 1st generation Polish who is in a game of mine and I'll direct him to your forums.

If you wanted to, I don't know, occasionally give the highlights of happenings on your boards over here, I know I would certainly be intersted. Can't speak for everyone though.

Your board, by the by, looks pretty cool-too bad I can't, you know, understand it. Pretty pictures, though!

*now must remember to purchase Shadows of Europe*

mattness pl
It took us a while, but we've got wallpapers

Thumb
(Click "Pobierz" to start download).
Hope you'll like it smile.gif

Troll picture was made by Dungal. Wallpaper design by fedor (he made layout of Shadowrun Polska).

@Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Sorry, but I've got problems with email.
If you'll still want to help us - PM me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012