Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rag dole chips
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
Rag dole chips.

A concept I came up with after reading about BTLs.

Canon companion comments that direct input BTLs often have the ras override disabled. This implies that the standard is for it to be there.

It should be trivial for those that make BTLs to make a BTL chip that has a non addictive harmless video game in it with a ras override and no mental cut out (you need to unplug the chip to make it stop) combine this with a pre of restraints and you have a way to make anybody with a data jack relatively easy to handle. Great for forced extractions.

Opinions pleas

Edward
mfb
not a bad idea. i'd imagine most datajacks come with firmware that allows you to activate or deactivate whatever you hook in, though (since otherwise, a bad chip could kill you by making it impossible to jack out). the chip should have to make some sort of test to overcome that.

you been watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC?
Just Jonny
Well, I kinda doubt you'd even need BTLs for it. They've already discussed simsense video games (I believe it was in Target: The Matrix, not sure), and non-addictive, non-damaging BTLs are just simsense. I would think you'd need to set it up to automatically and involuntarily, but in one of the novels (Shadowplay, IIRC) had simsense feed used for torture, so there's a pretty clear basis. Plus, if it's just simsense, you wouldn't even necessarily need a data jack, they could just use tortoise trodes (it's not like they're gonna be decking). Very cool idea.
Kagetenshi
The difference between BTLs and simsense is intensity. Simsense can probably get pretty painful, but not truly agonizing; BTLs, if not deceptively named (and I assume they aren't, as that would make getting quite so addicted to them somewhat less believable), can probably go further than real life could.

~J
Edward
I thought of data jacks having safety software but if you look at the BTL option black death witch requires the chip be removed before the damage stops and the fact that a Decker needs to physically disconnect to stop an attack I don’t think any such protection exists. (at least not anything remotely effective)

The only reason I even used BTLs is that they are the only thing listed with a raz override in such a small package. The rag doll chip is not a BTL it just uses the same ras override sim sense chip combo. The sim sense on it would be low grade games with no emotion track and full peak controls. It is not illegal under the BTL laws but in its own right it probably has a legality rating comparable to a mage mask or other security restraints.

If you wanted to increase its effectiveness a rating 1 mood chip apathy would be very effective although morally reprehensible.

Edward
Mr. Woodchuck
it wold be effective. make it a BTL of being bound and gaged. You could run a calming soothing emotional in the background to avoid psychological damage. It would be like a couple of hours of the best nap they ever took, bound and gaged.
KillaJ
QUOTE (Mr. Woodchuck)
It would be like a couple of hours of the best nap they ever took, bound and gaged.

Some of my fondest memories involve being bound and gagged... eek.gif
Kanada Ten
The datajack is "manually" controlled by the owner via DNI, IMO. You must insert the code into something they will jack in intentionally or can be coerced into accepting. Slipping the chip in while they sleep or are captive will not automatically work unless you convince them to turn it on. You could hack the datajack with a program, but I'd set the base TN at 14 to 18 reduced by a Deception utility and treat the entire test as a Log Onto Host operation. Prisoners likely have modified datajacks that accept an autoload code, and some idiots might have their datajacks set to autoload as well. But a death threat can work wonders with cold steal against the other temple.

The PCs in my game already did something similar to this, only as an assassination of an Ares employee. They found one with a beetle addiction and then set up his death to look like a BTL overdose. All just to steal his passcard.
Edward
Simple threats will make him access the chip. It dose however more justify the low cost of these things.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012