Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Rules Clarifications
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FXcalibur
1) By canon, is it possible to wear more than 2 pieces of body armour? How do you count the cumulative armour total?

2) How do you dodge or soak a flash pak?

3) Why is there a modifier for karma pool in the intimidation table and what the hell does it have to do with street rep?

4) Can you magically heal (with a heal spell) a person who is in overflow but is not stabilized?

5) How do you calculate a grenade thrown over cover? I want to target the area behind a small mound where my enemy is hiding and I get a +8 to my TN? What about ricocheting grenades off walls or whatever?
Backgammon
1) [edit]Oops, didn't see the more than 2 pieces part. I belive it says you can't in the Layering section, but I'm not sure.

2) Dunno.

3) Is that something in MRJLBB? Otherwise, I'd say it's leftovers from 2nd Ed.

4) Dunno.

5) Yeah, I guess it's +8. Ricochets would be handled abstractly by your dice roll.
Herald of Verjigorm
1) it is not explicitly stated. Either use the same process as used on the second piece, or ban the prospect, I don't recall a third interpretation.

2) blink, cover your eyes, something like that. If you mean the game mechanics, dodge like any other area effect threat and soak the same. Assuming I remember correctly when thinking that they have a damage code.

3) if you get MJLBB you should pcobably apply some of the fame and infamy stuff in there instead. Until that book, it was assumed that karma was usually earned by doing stuff worth remembering, so karma pool could be used as a representation of reputation.

4) any unstabilized subject must be stabilized as the first healing effort, whether magical or mundane. If later healing work is possible, you can try to reduce the actual injury.

5) those TNs are based on direct fire. There is no rule I can remember about reducing the TN for full cover when using arced weapons like grenades. Get your group to house rule it to be a bit easier. However, a spot behind cover would get you the stationary modifier on there as well.
FXcalibur
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
4) any unstabilized subject must be stabilized as the first healing effort, whether magical or mundane. If later healing work is possible, you can try to reduce the actual injury.

Thanks for the help. Can I get a page quote on that?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
1) it is not explicitly stated. Either use the same process as used on the second piece, or ban the prospect, I don't recall a third interpretation.

Third interpretation (and my personal choice): wear as much armor as you like, only the highest two ratings count (and the lower of the two is halved as usual). This can provide a bonus if the impact of a third piece of armor is higher than the ballistic second, for instance.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
I can't find a part about heal or treat to stabilize a subject, so don't take that part too seriously. The stabilizing with biotech is on SR3 page 129. I thought there was a similar rule about heal and treat, but there isn't one where I tried looking.

And yes, that would be the third option I wasn't remembering earlier.
FXcalibur
Yeah, some asshole on rpg.net brought it up. I thought the exact same thing but couldn't find anything, so I was curious.
Herald of Verjigorm
Maybe there will be a better rule lawyer on later who can give you a page number.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (FXcalibur)
1) By canon, is it possible to wear more than 2 pieces of body armour? How do you count the cumulative armour total?

Used to be (from Sr2 IIRC) that you'd only get half the value of the lesser valued armor, so Armor Jacker (5/3) + Lined Coat (4/2) would provide 7/4 (5+2, 3+1). Furthermore, if either the total armor values (5+4, 3+2 = 7/6) exceeded your quickness, you'd have to reduce your quickness by the difference. This is how we do it now to keep folks from becoming walking piles of armor.

5) How do you calculate a grenade thrown over cover? I want to target the area behind a small mound where my enemy is hiding and I get a +8 to my TN? What about ricocheting grenades off walls or whatever?

We use blind fire since you can't see what you're throwing at. We don't bother with ricochet, if you make the TN, then you managed to bounce, roll or land it where u wanted...somehow.
RedmondLarry
/Edit: FXcalibur, have you not made up your mind on any of these?

1) It's easy to wear more than 2 pieces of armor. You just put them on. There is no rule against it. Each time you are hit you get the benefit of the highest rated armor on that area that applies to that type of damage, and one-half the rating of the next highest. Plus full rating of whatever helmets, shields, or forearm guards that apply.

You, of course, know the penalties to Combat Pool, Quickness related tests, and Skill tests for skills linked to Quickness. These are on page 284. The FULL value of all armor (not half-value) is used in determining penalties, and helmets/shields/forearm guards count as well. Form-Fitting Body Armor doesn't count toward these penalties.
2) How do you dodge or soak a flash pak?
2) I think of Flash Paks (p. 283) as directional, and not something you throw at an opponent. You aim them at the enemy and push the button. Targets don't dodge or soak them, as they don't cause damage. I think they have an on-off switch, and are rechargeable. The target's Flare comp helps.
3) Why is there a modifier for karma pool in the intimidation table and what the hell does it have to do with street rep?
3) Karma Pool as a modifier for Intimidation (SR3 p. 94) is only the crudest of techniques for adjusting TN based on reputation. The notion is that the longer a character works in the shadows (raising Karma Pool) the better known he is, and that someone will be intimidated by a 'well known' shadowrunner. Unfortunately it doesn't do a good job of determining reputation, as it doesn't account for a character's (a) different rate for earning Karma Pool, (b) loss of Karma Pool, (c} being unknown in a city, (d) changing name and face, or (e) actual notorious deeds. You can likely make a better adjustment for your game than this crude one.
4) Can you magically heal (with a heal spell) a person who is in overflow but is not stabilized?
4) Sure, you can magically heal someone who is in overflow but not stabilized. If you get them back to 9 or under they stop dying. Otherwise they are still at Deadly and getting worse.
5) Your TN to toss a grenade somewhere is based on your ability to see that somewhere and the amount of obstacles between you and that somewhere. If you try to hit the enemy with the grenade, you have +8. If simply want it to pass just above the mound you should only get penalties for seeing the top of the mound and the obstacles between you and the mound. Where it goes after that is out of your character's control. Let the GM decide where the grenade ends up and when it explodes.

On the other hand, if you are shooting a grenade, it's likely to fly straight over the mound and go a couple hundred meters more.
Kagetenshi
Cloudshooting.

~J
Necro Tech
1.) From shadowruninfo, yes you can, but it has to make sense to your GM, I.E. camo suit, armored vest w/plates, merlin cloak, rapid transit helmet. These stack nicely and is a perfectly resonable combination. They would give you a 8/7 armor rating and make sense. But, unless you have a quickness of 11, you are soaking huge penalties and can barely walk. The built in penalties make it very hard for any but the most drastically altered to do this.

For the rest, don't know or been answered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012