Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: using minis in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GlassJaw
I'm just wondering who uses minis in their games. Having played 3ed D&D for the past 4 years, minis are a necessity for the system. How does using them translate to Shadowrun?

My guess is there isn't as much mechanical emphasis placed on them as D&D does but can they still be used effectively? I tend to like to use minis and battlemats in my games.
Ecclesiastes
Back when I played with my last GM (you rock Brian), he had TONS of Shadowrun minis and we made good use of them. I don't personally own any though, so I just do my best to describe a scene so the players know whats up.
Runner Smurf
I tend to use minis all the time when I GM. I don't care how well you describe things - someone will get confused, and often time's its the GM.

I use Lego people for my minis - the little minifigs are customizable, posable, and approximately at the standard scale. Silly, I will freely admit, but it works.

Besides, it's an excuse to by more Legos.

- Runner Smurf
GenoSicK
In my groups, we tend to use Veleda panel when available.
That, the appropriate marker and some dice, and your ready to roll !

Besides, you can erase when you need to, so that make it quite useful.
bitrunner
i use a combination of the Clix series...i can get on ebay and buy a cubic buttload of SHIELD agents that magically become Lone Star SWAT team members. they cost anywhere from 25 to 35 cents a piece and they're "common" so no one wants them - do the same for ninjas, thugs, gangers, etc. I use some of the MK figures for elementals, and the orcs actually make great trolls...best of all, they're already painted!!! and, they're light enough that i can through them in a case for conventions.

Now, if only they'd make an actual SR clix game, we'd be golden! just put 10 clicks on it for the physical wounds, ignore stun wounds, make a few other minor adjustments, and you'd have the new "DMZ" game...
Method
QUOTE (bitrunner)
... and you'd have the new "DMZ" game...

ahhhh.... the good 'ol DMZ system...
nezumi
Generally when the party needed a small vehicle, they'd use a bike or a drone. No reason for minis.

Oh, you meant the figurines. I've never had to use them for a game I ran. Granted, 90% of my games are online, but in general, most of my games are roleplaying, puzzle solving and descriptions. Combat is rare, and when it does happen, I try to keep the number of combatants down to a minimum, since it quickly becomes unmanagable. So it's never been too much of a problem with me : ) Plus, since I too am restricted to the like of lego men, I feel by pulling stuff like that out it makes the game feel less grim and dangerous. I mean come on, the guys are always smiling! How are we supposed to be full of angst if we can't wipe those silly grins off our faces.
GrinderTheTroll
Wow, we ues them all the time. I can't see how you could effectively set-up combat or other situations w/o using miniatures or something to represent relative positions...I take that back, I can see it, it's just alot to keep track of in my head.

I've never played SR w/o using them, with the exception being Astral Quests, Decking runs, and Vehicle Combat.
lokugh
The best GM tool I ever found is Broderbund's 3D Home Architect. Let's me make floorplans (including furniture) and even, with a little work, landscapes. And since it lets me change what is visible, I can easily make two maps of each area (one for me with everything and one for the players with just what they can see). Also helps with decking for floorplans and the like. (I think Encore makes a similarly named product, which might also work).

Cover that with a piece of transparency and give each person a different color transparency marker. Works great and is a lot less expensive and less cumbersome than miniatures.
Ecclesiastes
Anyone know of any good FREE home designer tools?
Cray74
QUOTE (GlassJaw @ Sep 16 2004, 07:40 PM)
I'm just wondering who uses minis in their games.  Having played 3ed D&D for the past 4 years, minis are a necessity for the system.  How does using them translate to Shadowrun?

Dude...I play DnD and Shadowrun, and minis are not a necessity in either game. One of the GMs in my group likes to have a semi-detailed map sketched out on a dry erase board with approximate locations of PCs and NPCs marked in, but it's far from critical in either game.

I only break out crude maps when the situation gets too complicated for everyone to keep their targets straight. Mostly, it's too much of a bother to pre-sketch maps and situations, particularly because doing so just seems to tempt the players to turn all that work into toilet paper when they wander off on unpredicted, unscripted paths.
GlassJaw
I play DnD and Shadowrun, and minis are not a necessity in either game

I have seen this argument before but D&D 3ed is completely different if you play without minis. It's not a game I want to play without minis.

i use a combination of the Clix series...i can get on ebay and buy a cubic buttload of SHIELD agents that magically become Lone Star SWAT team members

So true. I've been looking at some of the auctions. You can get 100 minis for dirt. I gotta grab some soon.
Cray74
QUOTE (GlassJaw)
I have seen this argument before but D&D 3ed is completely different if you play without minis. It's not a game I want to play without minis.

Well, each to his own. Minis only seem useful to me when the battle situation becomes complicated. Other than that, I try to roleplay and exercise my imagination rather than play a boardgame. If I wanted to do that, I'd play Monopoly and move my little shoe or battleship around the board.
Bigity
So, you guys that use SR minis (which I have quite a few), do you use them and a map to use to scale, or just position them around sketches to give the general layout and not worry about scale and distance?
Snow_Fox
I pay attention to clothes worn but in most casesc i prefer jeans to skirts for a run.
RedmondLarry
Our team uses minis all the time. With 1" square = 2 meters the scale of the miniatures and the floor match.

Without miniatures, I can't imagine figuring out who is in an area-affect spell, who gets hit by a shotgun blast, who gets hit by a grenade, who has cover from whom, where someone goes when Gel Rounds cause a knock-back, or even how many initiative passes of movement does it take to get to the bleeding character.

I was surprised at Gencon to see almost none of the Shadowrun GMs using playing mats and miniatures. I bought six more Chessex mats at Gencon, so now every member of our team has one, which is great because most are now GMing for other people.
GlassJaw
I bought six more Chessex mats at Gencon, so now every member of our team has one, which is great because most are now GMing for other people

Do you use them all at the same time!?!?! That would be nuts. You could recreate a whole city block!

With 1" square = 2 meters the scale of the miniatures and the floor match.

Cool, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have a big chessex mat too that I'll be using. I can see how the action in SR might go "off the mat" though due to longer ranges if you are running a battle that is not inside a building. Usually, everything in pretty close in D&D.
RedmondLarry
No, we haven't yet used them all at once. Five of us now GM -- some at game stores, some at conventions, some at 18-person "game days".

Since the ones I bought were little 20" by 20" mats, I could use them all at once by pre-drawing different parts of the adventure on each mat and just pulling out the scene I needed when the time came.
Johnson
Well I use the DMZ box set which is the offical SR2 Board Game. It helps a lot but maps are limited. I would like to get my hands on some SR mini's as about 400 warhammer 40 K and fantasy minis. I use some of these and they help like you cannot believe. some times I use my gaming tables, where 1 Inch is 1 meter.

Boy does combat goes well.
Thistledown
Two of our players are hugely into heroclicks and mageknight as well, so they bring their mini's and I I pick out what I need as GM, and assign special ones to each player.

As for the boards, I picked up some 11"x17" dry-erase boards at the book store. Their flat, with no border, and designed to be fed through a laser printer. Then just draw whatever room I need on them.

Unforunetly, I don't have a laser printer that size, but the same company makes 8.5x11 sheets as well. The laser print stays on when you wipe off the marker.

I've tried using Roborally boards for factories and stuff, but the minis are just a little too big to fit in the squares.
bitrunner
oooh, RoboRally - i'll have to remember that one!!! so what if the minis are a little big - you just go by the center of the fig...

good idea, thanks!
lokugh
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
Anyone know of any good FREE home designer tools?

Well, not free, but CompUSA is advertising the tool I use for $9.99. Doesn't include the manual, but the help program that is part of the program is all you need (I never read the manual and had no probs. I have used the help program extensively though).

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...4477&pfp=SEARCH
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Bigity)
So, you guys that use SR minis (which I have quite a few), do you use them and a map to use to scale, or just position them around sketches to give the general layout and not worry about scale and distance?

We tend to have a few larger scale maps and use a mini to mark generic party/player position, but then draw a more detailed map if the situation requires it. We use 1" = 1 meter for combat situations, etc.

I've noticed that players seem to instantly think something is up when you draw out a map and have them place themselves on it. To help uncondition this type of behavior, I've gotten into the habit of drawing scale maps when they want to do tasks like footwork or buying equipment just give them the impression something might go wrong. That coupled with some dice rolls and they have no idea whats going down sometimes. biggrin.gif
spotlite
We don't use mini's in either our DnD or shadowrun games. I never have, bar the fight at the end of queen euphoria when it was just getting silly. We used different sized dice as we didn't have minis (and were able to use the 1 to represent light wound, 2 for mod, four for serious and 6 for down and out, which worked surprisingly well!).

That was five years ago. And you know what? I WANNA PLAY WITH MINIS!!!

Unfortunately, we don't have the room, and I don't have time to do the maps, though improvising's not that hard if you use 40K or necromunda figures (and necromunda board pieces work brilliantly for industrial and toxis areas) and go with 1 inch per M. I don't like using inches, I prefer metric, but its the distance the minis are designed for, at least in England.

I've brought it up a few times, but the players keep voting it down. The consensus seems to be that it would use more time fiddling about with sets and things than it does to grind through repeated combat descriptions and so on (which i'm not terribly great at anyway). I think it would help hugely - if we had the room, the mini's and the time. We play two ongoing weekly campaigns and i gm both of them a lot of the time. Both games are great and also have slightly different players, so we can't cancel one. BUT I WANNA PLAY WITH MINIS!!!

snif. choke.

Edit: oh, and we don't play 3rd ed ad&d, we play monty haul skillz and powerz and we're not ashamed!!! WE'RE NOT ASHAAAAMED!!!

And now I know 3rd ed practically requires miniatures I'm even less keen to play it and put money in the pockets of those shameless money making marketeering corp types. Hasbro, I ask you. Bah!

[SIZE=1]NB the author is not in any way wishing to deter others from purchasing the fine quality products made by Hasbro or any other faceless individuality suppressing corporation and indeed would actively encourage the purchase of any shadowrun product from any said places should that in fact be what they are. He is merely pointing out his own objection to their practices and his views are not condoned by the owners of this board. No animals were harmed during the making of this post, nor were any humans anally probed by grey aliens who only steal hick farmers in the dead of night on a slow news day. This post did not cause the world to end. I'm very. Very. Tired. Amen.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (spotlite)
Edit: oh, and we don't play 3rd ed ad&d, we play monty haul skillz and powerz and we're not ashamed!!! WE'RE NOT ASHAAAAMED!!!

LOL, i haven't heard a "Monty Haul" and D&D reference in a long time... don't mess with me riding my Silver Dragon and my +97 Vorpal Battle Axe!1!!!11

LOL, good times.
Abstruse
I just went out and bought a few of the old Shadowrun minis from a dusty back room of the local game store for $1.50 a pop. Personally, I think minis and a wet-erase vinyl map are essentials for gaming as it quickly can become impossible to keep track of character positions and ranges effectively without it. Otherwise, you're spending a lot of combat time triangulating ranges ("So you were fifteen meters from Sec Guard 1, and 10 meters from Bob, so that means you're...ummm...anyone have a protractor?")

BTW, 2m = 1" seems to work best for me unless combat's in a cramped room or something that necessitates 1" = 1m detail. And if you get one of those vinyl maps, make sure to use WET ERASE markers. Dry erase markers WILL stain them.

The Abstruse One
the_dunner
Red markers are the absolute worst for staining. But, I've found that a citrus based window cleaner can clean up just about anything. And leaves the gaming table smelling nicely orange-y. biggrin.gif
Firewall
I remember being at school when we had just switched to white-boards (something to do with an asthmatic pupil trying to sue; this in the UK!) and someone got dared to write an obscenity on the board while the teacher went to get coffee. Being the sadistic ****-hole that I am, I threw him a 'wet' marker.

Then I told him the teacher was coming back...

That moment of realisation, when he saw that it was not wiping off... That was priceless. We learned something from that experience; that there was only one other person in that lesson (apart from me) who had stayed awake during chemistry. We threw him a can of Lynx (I think they call it Axe in the rest of the world) and let him save himself...

But back on topic... I use white-boards and miniatures (big WH40K collection, though most of it is Blood Angels, and a few Necromunda Delaques - best gang for runners; long coats, goggles, style...)
Abstruse
If you're cheap or you can't find the Shadowrun minis in the quantities you want, the DMZ boxed set can be found for usually about $20-30 on ebay or less in your local game store's used bin and it has somewhere around a hundred color cardboard fold-up minis for Shadowrun and a few maps. Don't bother with the actual game though, it's like mixing Warhammer with Shadowrun...you play in 6 hours what would have only taken you 2 hours using the regular rules and there's no roleplaying involved with the only advantage being that you had twice the number of characters on the board. Plus the DMZ rules bear little relation to the Shadowrun rules, even moreso with 3rd Ed.

The Abstruse One
the_dunner
There's a couple of companies on RPGNow that sell PDF's of fold over standups that could work nicely for Shadowrun, similar to the ones in DMZ. I've bought the 21st century heroes set from Microtactix, and it's pretty slick. Their stuff is at:

http://www.rpgnow.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=368

Also, S.John Ross has a line of fonts that work in the same way available at http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/sparks.htm .

I've used these products from several manufacturers and find them very convenient. There's no painting, and the minis are disposable. Plus, you end up with as many as you want to print for under $10.
bitrunner
oh

my

god!

these are awesome!!!

thanks dunner!! biggrin.gif
Plastic Rat
QUOTE (bitrunner)
Now, if only they'd make an actual SR clix game, we'd be golden! just put 10 clicks on it for the physical wounds, ignore stun wounds, make a few other minor adjustments, and you'd have the new "DMZ" game...

*Slobber, drool...*

If only...
the_dunner
Glad ya like 'em bitrunner! smile.gif
FrostyNSO
Anybody use a pack of plain ol' army men? Works great.
the_dunner
The army men idea reminded me of these:

http://www.fairplaygames.com/gamedisplay.a...asp?gameid=1439

How can you not love 100 25mm glow in the dark zombies for $10?
RedmondLarry
Our team uses glow-in-the-dark (translucent) zombies for astral magicians. When going astral, a player magician lays his lead-figure down and picks up a translucent zombie to represent his astral form.
mintcar
bitrunner: There are Shadowrun clicks. Shadowrun Duels. Or did that flop so bad you canīt get them anymore? WizKids makes good as all the other click games so Iīd be surprised if there werenīt any Shadowrun variant. Check their homepage
Bigity
biggrin.gif Shadowrun Duels figures are in no way suitable for use as "minis" in a tabletop game.
Abstruse
Unless your tabletop is 20 feet long...

The Abstruse One
Namer18
Bigger then that for the shadowrun clicks game. The figures are huge. I've managed to find a bunch on the cheap though by looking around. Oddly enough the different figures were originally priced differently so that even when I can find the dwarf for like $2.00 the troll is still like $15.00. Go figure. You can look through the figure sculpts at http://www.wizkidsgames.com/shadowrun/figu...guregallery.asp

Caine Hazen
Heroclix minis popped of the bases and reset to 25mm bases. Plus copplestone minis + a few from the Street Violence line of Foundry minis. Plus I got some resin cast vehicles for effect. Oh and the bikes from the VASA army from VOID work well too.

Plus we get buildings from armorcast and flying tricycle to use for terrain, man it makes the sessions rawk
Paco
My group uses micro machines and army men smile.gif
We were using dry erase but we have since upgraded to a large piece of plexi glass with the grid in permanent marker on one side, we have to flip the glass over and use the other side for the map. Something about
non-permanent makes permanent non-permanent when you write over it (not quite sure if that senctence makes sense wobble.gif ).
I really can't imagine playing SR without maps and minis of some sort. Everytime someone thinks there isn't going to be a need for a map or reference points, someone always manages to do something to warrant them.
bitrunner
don't get me started on a SR Duels rant...suffice to say, as others have - they are too big for gaming...
mintcar
Never seen them, sorry.
Just Jonny
My group really doesn't use minis, but I usually make maps of any place where I expect the players might get in any sort of firefight involving more than 5 or so opponents. It just makes cover and the like a hell of a lot easier to figure out, as well as clearing up issues of how long it takes to close to melee range or whatever.
DocMortand
I am a huge WarHamster 40K player (I own 5 armies) so I use those on a grid wet-erase map. Works great for tactical...I just need more dwarfs. Got plenty of humans and orks and trolls...but no dwarfs.

It's always funny to use necron destroyers for bug spirits...*grin* Since I own 6 of them I just get 'em ready and the group just looks at 'em with dread, wondering where they are.
Mercer
We use 1/72 scale army men. We picked up a few bags at a local dollar store, plus there are higher quality ones available for large scale wargames. It usually about 8 bucks for a box of fifty, but they make them for all eras, from Vikings to Present day Special forces. We also use Micro Machines for vehicles, HO scale railroad pieces, and anything else we can get our paws on.

I find dry erase boards to be the best for table top play, and chalkboards to be a close second. I don't like using gridded boards for anything, because I think it makes it too technical and too board gamey. I like players to eyeball their spell effects and grenade throws, without the benefit of knowing "exactly" who its going to hit.
CountZero
My old GM used minis in his game.

He had a good chunk of the SR minis, and he had some minis from Mordheim which he used for gangers. It worked out pretty well.
Mercer
I had a lot of spare time last summer, and not a lot of money, so I was looking for an inexpensive way to soak up some time. I found on a wargaming site instructions for making really cheap terrain. For about twenty bucks, I was able to fill up a 4'x4' games table for a World War II Alternate Shadowrun scenario.

Basically, make building ruins out of cardboard (which is free). Coat it with a little spackling compound (which I had a bunch of from redoing a bedroom, so that was free). Spray paint it black (a buck for the paint), drybrush with a few shades of grey (my old mini paints that I haven't used in years). The idea was to run an Enemy at the Gates style scenario using SR rules. The metahumans of the greatest generation.
Erebus
We tend to use Cardboard Heroes, and their equivelent from the old DMZ boxed set. Way easer on the wallet, no painting required, plus you can carry over 400 of them in a zip-locked freezer bag. =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012