Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: maps/floorplans
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GlassJaw
I'm sure this has been discussed at length in the past but are there any good sites to get some "generic" maps or floorplans of buildings?

I've seen some mention of software packages for creating floorplans. Any suggestions?

The old Sprawl Sites book has maps in it right? How is it? I've been meaning to grab a copy from ebay.

Thanks!!
Johnson
I have the old sprawl site book there are encounters and maps to go with it. But how comprihensive do you want your maps?
Sijal
Heres Terra Server

Heres Blackjacks Maps Page

Terra server is great for satalite photo's of operation centers and stuff. Great for player handouts.

I've even looked up alot of the maps in shadowrun products and found that they are REAL sites.. like the map of the park in the Mission Briefing adventure off the shadowrun site.. It lfloored me.

Anyway, great maps there if your group plans to infiltrate a nuclear power plant, or a navy ship yard, docks in seattle, whatever.

Check out Cermak and Racine in Chicago.. nice little power plant to run against.. muahahahhaha
Backgammon
Shadowrun.de has lots of maps.

Plus Kagetenshi and I have some maps up on Kage's website, but I don't have my bookmarks around to give you the link.
Johnson
HEy some nice sites, now some new ideas
Bigity
Visio might not be a bad choice for interior floorplans either.
bitrunner
I use Visio for doing all my maps whenever possible...warehouses work out especially well, since Visio has special templates for warehouse shipping and receiving, so they have all the scaled drag-n-drop figures for forklifts, pallets, 55 gal drums, overhead cranes, etc. I use one of the rack shapes for making catwalks - they turn out real nice.

Seconds on Terra Server also...i just scan around for an area that looks close to what i need in the seattle area, and then pull it into a graphics program for tweaking...

[plug]
as mentioned, you can see results of this in Shadowrun Missions adventures...
[/plug]
Sijal
Just looked at Visio.. holy crap thats expensive....
bitrunner
yeah - i was lucky - i bought it before it was scooped up by Micro$oft...so all i had to do was pay the upgrade fee - much cheaper....

i will say that i've tried some of those $40 build-your-own-home software packages that you can get at Best Buy and other stores, and they just don't (pardon the pun) measure up...
Lindt
I dont use them for making maps (the fact that Im using a $1200 version of said cheepass program at wal-mart might have something to do with it), and yeah, Viso went from affordable to wicked expensive. Good program though.
Jason Farlander
Don't forget that you can always put your Google-fu to work in getting some good floorplans.
GlassJaw
Don't forget that you can always put your Google-fu to work in getting some good floorplans.

I see your Google-fu is very strong. Duh, why didn't I think of that?!

I've even looked up alot of the maps in shadowrun products and found that they are REAL sites.. like the map of the park in the Mission Briefing adventure off the shadowrun site.. It lfloored me.

Wow, where did you find them?
Sijal
Well first off, you need to know how to use the terra server maps pretty well, AND have a good eye.

The maps on terra server are mostly from the top down (some are slightly skewed) but the big thing is to find major roadways. Like in seattle. The map for Mission briefing is of a park that sits on top of a major roadway. I thought that was kinda odd so I checked out the road on Mapquest, found where it ran into a park (same name BTW) and then zoomed in on it with terra server.. I'll be damned if it wasn't a little dark, but the exact same park..
bitrunner
that's because, well, it *IS* the park - the writers of the scenario placed it there on purpose....

as for the other part of town, if anyone would like a map of the park around the Space Needle area, updated for 2064, let me know. I also have a storm drain map that i made (based on real storm drain/sewer data i found on the web) for the area around the Aztechnology pyramid - i'm using it to put together a map of the Ork Underground and associated tunnel networks under the city...
lokugh
That Terra Server is awesome. I managed to find my apartment building with it. Will come in real handy. Thanks!
Kagetenshi
The still-crappy SotSW map-page. As the index that will eventually be there says, most of what's there right now is BackGammon's.

~J
JaronK
Anyone have a decent idea where to find modern looking sewer or water drainage maps? I could really use that, especially one for Redmond, right about now...

JaronK
Kagetenshi
I've got some at the office, actually. They're amazingly dull, however.

~J
JaronK
If they're clear enough to be easily printed, I certainly wouldn't mind. The players in this particular run seem to have gotten the idea that the sewers are a good place to go hunting around (I knew I shouldn't have put that missing arm in there) so I need something for them to hunt around in!)

JaronK
bitrunner
i have a sewer/storm drain map that i created based on real data if you want it - it is for around the azzie pyramid though, not redmond
Kagetenshi
They're on paper, and 36x48 paper no less. Most of the pipes are 6" or so aside from the main conduit that doesn't actually run anywhere but directly under the street.

~J
JaronK
At this point, anything I can get my grubby lil' paws on would work. I just need something for them to explore in, something that I can mentally mark so I know if they find what they're looking for.

JaronK
the_dunner
i'm using it to put together a map of the Ork Underground and associated tunnel networks under the city...

If you're every in Seattle, take the "Underground Tour." When I was walking it I was absolutely amazed at how easy it would be to see Orks setting up in there. More info on it here:
http://www.undergroundtour.com/

The existing tunnels are directly under the city sidewalks, so each block's tunnels are isolated from the adjacent blocks. But it'd be really easy to see Orks or Dwarves tunneling through the streets to create a major network.
bitrunner
what really made the underground tour hit hard was when i saw "beware the rat" written in chalk along a wall...i immediately thought of a beserk ork rat shaman, causing mayhem in the tunnels...i took pictures of it - maybe i need to dig those out and post them somewhere...
Bigity
I'd be more worried about devil rats...or even a demon rat. Yikes.

lol, I wonder if a SR fan made the marks smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012