Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intellectual property and role-playing games
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
Intellectual property and role-playing games.

Who owns the rights to a player character used in a role playing game?

I have had a GM do some things with my characters in later games (running them as NPCs) that where just plain wrong. I would never do so far as to threaten little own actually use the law for something so pissant but it could become significant if somebody actually wrote a book or an adventure module based on a character somebody else played or based on a home made adventure somebody else ran.

And I am in a perversely curious mood.

Edward
the_dunner
If somebody published something with a character you used, then yes, you'd have the right to an IP lawsuit. These types of law suits are the reason that publishers don't accept or read Unsolicited Manuscripts. But, uh, unless it was an awfully successful publication, I'm pretty sure you'd be laughed out of just about any courtroom. After all, people don't get into writing RPG materials for the enormous wealth-earnign potential.
lokugh
There is always the Dragonlance story. It was based on actual gameplay. I would assume some contracts/releases were signed somewhere along the way. It definitely has made enough money to be worth a lawsuit.
the_dunner
Dragonlance? Well, yeah, it was based on game play. And, yes, it's definitely made some money. But, it was game play *IN HOUSE* at TSR. So, since it was done in "the office" at work, I don't think anyone could exactly sue over it.
lokugh
QUOTE (the_dunner)
Dragonlance? Well, yeah, it was based on game play. And, yes, it's definitely made some money. But, it was game play *IN HOUSE* at TSR. So, since it was done in "the office" at work, I don't think anyone could exactly sue over it.

Depends on how they divided up the profits smile.gif
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Edward)
I would never do so far as to threaten little own actually use the law for something so pissant

Okay, you lost me. Is that supposed to read,

I would never go so far as to threaten, let alone actually use, the law for something so pissant

Is another one of those phrases like 'could've' that has been screwed up in writing, or am I missreading it entirely?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Edward)
Intellectual property and role-playing games.

Who owns the rights to a player character used in a role playing game?

I have had a GM do some things with my characters in later games (running them as NPCs) that where just plain wrong. I would never do so far as to threaten little own actually use the law for something so pissant but it could become significant if somebody actually wrote a book or an adventure module based on a character somebody else played or based on a home made adventure somebody else ran.

And I am in a perversely curious mood.

Edward

You own the character concept, etc. if original.

FanPro/WizKids owns most of the attributes and skills. Not the actual values, but the format for the crunchy bits, without which the values are pretty much useless.

Unless you've got some pretty extensive record-keeping, though, you're going to have serious difficulty convincing anyone that there's really infringement.

~J
Firewall
QUOTE (the_dunner)

How about the Tolkien estate? biggrin.gif Reading those books, I could not help but feel that the first book drew a lot from LotR. Then again, any fantasy world (especially D&D) owes more to Lord of the Rings than to any other book on the market. (hey, SR owes a lot to Neuromancer and maybe Snow Crash, but then The Matrix seems to owe a lot to SR)
the_dunner
How about the Tolkien estate?

If Lucas couldn't make his lawsuit against Battlestar Galactica stick, then I very much doubt that the Tolkien estate could make a suit against Dragonlance stick. Concepts that are in "the public domain" like Dragons, elves, and dwarves do not make the basis for a lawsuit.
Abstruse
Is it against the IP laws for a GM to "steal" your character? Yes.

Can you prove it to the ability to actually win a lawsuit? Pretty friggin' doubtful.

Just read up on IP laws on writer websites (comics, books, film scripts, etc.). For some reason, indy comic book websites (how to self publish) are the best for these kinds of things. I have no idea why.

The Abstruse One
Tenebris
It is a cooperative game, after all: which means everyone in the group has a bit of an investment in everyone else's character.

Re Luke Hardison:

It's the Internet. I've given up on grammar, especially from single-language English speakers (ESLers tend to do much better on average). At this point, I'll settle if the sense comes across.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012