Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dice Roller Applet - WizKid Needed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lycanthropic Dreaming
Hi everyone.

For the past few nights, I've been working on a Shadowrun dice roller applet.

My problem is that I've embedded a modified image of the Shadowrun Logo into the applet, and have failed to date to discover how I can get permission off WizKids to use the modified logo as-is.

After reading the Shadowrun FAQ, I came away thinking that I needed to email Mike Mulvihill. I did so, but the first attempt was bounced by WizKids automated spam filter, and the second has gone unanswered (did I do something else wrong, or am I just being impatient?).

Whist pondering what I should do, I had a thought. Sometimes WizKid employees lurk on the forum.

So... To whoever I need to ask permission (Mike?), please, can I used the modified logo for my applet?

Here's a link to a picture of it running:

A PNG of the dice-roller.
Spookymonster
Check this link out. It's the official legal explanation of what you can and cannot do with SR's copyrighted material (including their logos).
Hope it helps.
Dave
I had the same question for my mobile phone images, which used a modified 'S-logo' in order to fit on the screen.

Basically the FAQ license agreement covers the logo 'as is' and you need to get written permission from Wizkids if you want to use a different one. I didn't and was asked to remove them from my site.

I can't find the email from their legal department otherwise I would post, although I think I mentioned that it might be an idea to update the FAQ accordingly.
Kagetenshi
If you check the forums at SotSW, you'll see an email I posted in which a WizKids representative responded to an inquiry about this by saying that they allow no modification of their IP. That would include this.

The relevant topic.

~J
Lycanthropic Dreaming
QUOTE (Spookymonster @ Sep 21 2004, 10:32 PM)
Check this link out. It's the official legal explanation of what you can and cannot do with SR's copyrighted material (including their logos).
Hope it helps.

Yup... that's the page that had me convinced that Mike was the guy to talk to. They're quite clear on this. Modification and subsequent use of the logo requires written permission.

That's what I'm trying to seek. wink.gif
Lycanthropic Dreaming
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If you check the forums at SotSW, you'll see an email I posted in which a WizKids representative responded to an inquiry about this by saying that they allow no modification of their IP. That would include this.

The relevant topic.

~J

Hi Kagetenshi.

Looks like you've danced this number before. smile.gif

The email you mentioned said that that they don't allow alterations to their IP, and more specifically, that the "S" could not be used alone.

They mention on their FAQ page though that alteration is allowable with written permission. I guess I still hold hope that the modified complete logo will be acceptable. I'm just not sure HOW to ask so it gets to the people who can answer me.

I note that the "From" address in the forum post has been obfuscated. Do you remember who you email your original request to?

Thanks.
Kagetenshi
The obfuscation is pretty easy to reverse once you take a good hard look; the From is Susan @ the place you'd think she'd be sending from. I initially sent it to Support@wizkidsgames.com , but the Contact page no longer has that listed so I assume it's been subdivided.

~J
Kanada Ten
You may be able to skirt the issue becasue FanPro.de has modified logos on their page. Like this one.
Adam
FanPro's actions [both sides of the pond] are not covered by the general fan policy, though.
Lycanthropic Dreaming
A quick update for those intrested.

I've just responded to an email from WizKids asking for more detail (Homepage URI, nature of the page, etc).

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012