Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funky Spirit Domains
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zenmaxer
What sort of spirit would a nature shaman summon inside a t-bird?
A space station?
a volcano?
underground?

----
can a spirit use:
accident on a: t-bird? building? spirit? golem? plant?
movement on a: t-bird? character already using movement? person on a bike and how would it be handled?
inhabit on a: tree? uninstalled cyberarm? corpse?
Herald of Verjigorm
T-bird: outside terrain if there are large enough windows, hearth if it has been a living area for a while, otherwise none.

Space station: potentially a hearth spirit, but it would need to be force 10 or so to survive the mana warp. If you were on the "acre of wheat in orbit" you may be able to get a prarie spirit.

Volcano: mountain most likely

Underground: a subtle variant of the land spirit that fits the region you are under or hearth if it has been a home to someone for a while.

------------------
accident: yes, it causes a crash test; maybe, but it won't do much to a stationary target with no actions like most buildings; yes, but some spirits can guard against it; wrong game, and no because they have obscene amounts of magic resistance; sure, but only a few plants will have actions to lose
movement: yes, if you make the test; yes, but only the stronger effect matters; sure, but without the translated rules for a bicicle, I can't tell you whether it would be the vehicle effect or the creature effect
inhabit: strictly, no, but I'd let you prepare a tree as a stationary homunculus; if properly enchanted; not likely, allowing it would require a new variety of homunculus that provides no armor and needs to be replaced on a regular basis unless you quicken a preservation spell in there
lokugh
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
wrong game, and no because they have obscene amounts of magic resistance

I think this was aimed at golems. There are golems in SR. They are mentioned in SOE in the Prague article. Stats are on page 225. Not sure what the "Magical Guard" power is, but yes, it looks like accident would work on a golem...assuming the spirt won the test.
Austere Emancipator
Magical Guard is Spell Defense for critters, using (Essence) dice.
Herald of Verjigorm
Interesting, can you give a summarized description of them? Now I need to find cash for that too.
Jason Farlander
Minor corrections:

Rigger 3 clarifies that only vehicles that possess a hull rating are large enough to be considered its own domain, and even then only if they have been populated for a significant amount of time. The T-Bird counts as being in whatever domain surrounds it - which can be "hearth" if parked inside a building - but, insofar as it lacks a hull rating, it will never count as its own, separate domain.

Also, the size of the windows on the T-Bird are irrelevant in determining its domain affiliation.
Sargasso
A volcano, an active one, would be the domain of spirit of the flames. Check out Magic in the Shadows. Wujen and Kahunas amoung others can summon spirits of the elements. A volcano is specifically listed amoung their domains.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Sargasso)
A volcano, an active one, would be the domain of spirit of the flames.

In most cases, a volcano would qualify as mountain domain as well. Only in a very extreme case, like a LotRish more-liquid-than-solid-stone-all-around, would I consider it only a flames domain. (Maybe this was what you were trying to say, but I like redundancy.)
Kanada Ten
I wonder it it might also count as Mist, River, and Lake in various situations as well. Doesn't the Artic count as Desert?
Austere Emancipator
Of course. Not to mention Spirits of the Ground, Wind, Forest and Storm (in order of likelihood).
Zenmaxer
QUOTE (Sargasso)
A volcano, an active one, would be the domain of spirit of the flames. Check out Magic in the Shadows. Wujen and Kahunas amoung others can summon spirits of the elements. A volcano is specifically listed amoung their domains.

:: nods :: so it'd just be mountain for a plain jane shaman?

and yes, I was referring to the "golems" created by qabbalists.
Edward
A basic shaman could under varying circumstances consider a volcano crater to be or contain any of these domains.

Desert (depending on climate)
Forest (if there is a significant amount of wild growth in it)
Mountain (always)
Mist (if there is mist as there often is)
Storm (if there is a storm)
Wind (if it is windy)
Lake (if the crater is filled with water)
River (if there is a stream from said lake)
Swamp (at edge of lake)
City (if it contains a tourist kiosk. I have seen this happen)
Hearth (if it the owner of said kiosk maintains a residence there)
Field (more on the slopes than in the crater but you never know)
If there was a fire domain that would be only when it was active (visible lava)

I think the most you could have simultaneously is standing on the patio of a tourist over a swamp with a scream running under it during a windy storm (mountain, city, swamp, river, wind and storm) I have been in a place like this in Indonesia but it was the dry season so the stream and swamp where dry and there wasn’t much wind or a storm but show up in the wet and you could get all that.

Edward
Arz
T-bird: Hearth(when parked in hangar), Sky(in flight), or Varies(on landing site.

The Funky domain includes dance clubs and city districts which are alternately popular, confusing, have a distinctive musk, or mislabeled.
Apathy
T-bird: Hearth(when parked in hangar),

do people agree that hangers (offices, factories, etc.) are hearth domain? If it's inside a building, but it's not a home, is it hearth, or city, or what?
Jason Farlander
I would say that a hangar/office/whatever used frequently by (meta)humans would be hearth domain, while one that is abandoned or fully automated would be city. Admittedly, this is due in no small part to a desire to limit the overall usefulness of city spirits... but I think its pretty reasonable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012