Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Physical Invis. v. Mana Invis.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
GrinderTheTroll
Does "Physical" Invis. (aka Imporved Invis.) do any good against living targets, or just against non-living ones? Can't find something specifically that says either way.
Spookymonster
Improved invisibility affects both living and non-living targets (in this case, targets refers to the viewer, not the person/area being made invisible).
Sphynx
Improved Invisibility affects technological sensors as well.

That's in the spell description.

Sphynx
GrinderTheTroll
Yeah I've noticed that, I was just hoping for some text that would definitively say that.

The description in SR3:186 says, "Physical spells affect the physical properties of a target. Only Physical spells affect non-living objects."

I suppose since mana illusion happen in the mind and physical create some visual effect, this would help explain it.

Just wish there was something more explicitly stated.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I suppose since mana illusion happen in the mind and physical create some visual effect, this would help explain it.

Physical Illusions don't create an actual visual effect. They simply (physically) manipulate the target into sensing something.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

Physical Illusions don't create an actual visual effect. They simply (physically) manipulate the target into sensing something.

SR3:203 under Illusion Spells says, "Physical illusion spells create actual sensory input". 2nd column under "Indirect Illusion Spells" says, "Indirect Illusion spells manipulate energy to create and illusionary image or sound or some other sense-based effect fooling the sences. They must be cast 'around' a person or over an area."

I think these would say that Physical Invis would create something that would refract or bend the light so that the target would appear to be invisible.

Same page under Illusion Spells says, "Mana based spells effect the mind and are ineffective against technological viewing systems like cameras."

The "Indirect Illusion" part helps answer my question.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
"Physical illusion spells create actual sensory input"

That's basically what I was saying. It feeds the camera an image without the invisible object -- it doesn't actually make the object invisible.

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Indirect Illusion spells manipulate energy to create and illusionary image or sound or some other sense-based effect fooling the sences.

Illusory image: not an actual image, but an image one is fooled into seeing. Illusion: a misleading image presented to the vision or perception of something objectively existing in such a way as to cause misinterpretation of its actual nature.

See here for the average Dumpshock view on the subject (33-4 in favor of "does not create actual light, only sensor input"). Further recent discussions here and here.

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 18 2004, 07:25 AM)
A physical illusion creates *actual sensory input* of images, not the images themselves. Otherwise, what would be the point of having a resistance roll for Improved Invisibility, if you still got the -8 TN penalty even if you resisted? But that's not how it works. If you get more successes with your Intelligence test, the spell doesn't affect you at all.
That thread ended for a reason...
Spookymonster
Do not debate the ways and means of Improved Invisibility, young Grasshopper, for that path leads to madness and damnation...wink.gif

When you're the GM, interpret the text however you want. When you're the player, your GM's interpretation is final.
Eyeless Blond
What annoys me, though, is that Improved Invis is completely worthless against technological sensors unless it's around Force 5-6. After all, the CCD on a typical video camera is at least as complicated, if not moreso, than your average computer chip, and thus has an OR of 10 or more. It's not really a problem; it's just kinda frustrating that there is no appreciable difference between regular Invisability and Improved Invisability for Force 1-4.
Sphynx
Actually since the Camera is not the target of the Spell, OR shouldn't apply. And since Camera are non-sentient, the get no roll to resist, so it's an auto-success.

It does say under spell casting that you use the OR table for casting something at an object. If you have to start using the OR table for everything effected by a spell (or part of the effect of a spell) alot of spells become useless. Catalog would suck as a spell, as would Clairvoyance (can't see what's in the vault), etc, etc. I strongly recommend against opening the can of worm that applying OR to an invis spell would create....

Sphynx
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Actually since the Camera is not the target of the Spell, OR shouldn't apply. And since Camera are non-sentient, the get no roll to resist, so it's an auto-success.

It does say under spell casting that you use the OR table for casting something at an object. If you have to start using the OR table for everything effected by a spell (or part of the effect of a spell) alot of spells become useless. Catalog would suck as a spell, as would Clairvoyance (can't see what's in the vault), etc, etc. I strongly recommend against opening the can of worm that applying OR to an invis spell would create....

Sphynx

They just become usless at Force < 4. The theme is that more processed objects are harder to affect with magic. It wasn't until I re-read the SR3 about 100 times before I got the interpretation that OR does apply for invisibility as well as other spells.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Sphynx)

Actually, they *are* the targets of the spell. See, the spell is *cast* on a Subject, which is the area or person that you're making invivible. The *targets* of the spell is everyone who tries to view the Subject. This is the interpretation the board has comt to after many long, hot debates and dozens of people quoting the BBB, MitS, and T:AL until they were blue in the face. It makes most Physical illusions useless below Force 5-6, but them's the breaks, I guess.

It's the same way for detection spells, unfortunately, which is why most of them too are almost useless below Force 5-6 as well. Bummer, huh?
Sphynx
QUOTE (SR3 page 182 under Sorcery Test)
The target number for spells cast against inanimate objects is based on the material from which the object is made

QUOTE (SR3 page 195 under Indirect Illusion Spells)
They must be cast "around" a person, or over an area

QUOTE (MitS page 55 under Illusion Spells)
Indirect illusions are cast on a subject person or area

Only included the 2nd quote to show that the preposition is not the important factor here.

Nice interpretation you have there, but it's not Canon. Object Resistance is ONLY for when you cast against an object, Illusions are cast around (or on) a person. Therefore OR plays no factor at all.

Sphynx
GrinderTheTroll
Problem is in order for a spell to affect some innimate object, it has to be atleast 1/2 OR in force. Carmera's OR = 8, so Force 4 minimum is required for the spell to even affect it.
Eyeless Blond
Wouldn't the OR be 10 or higher? the CCDs they use in cameras definately count as "Highly processed objects" to me.

As for your objections, I'll quote Kanada Ten's explaination for it, since I can't seem to find the larger debate over it:
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
You are affecting the Targets, which are those that observe the Subject which is whom the spell is cast upon.

Technological devices never resist any spell, but any spell must have a force equal to or higher than half the OR to affect it.

If you really want the Subject to be the Target for Indirect Illusions then the force must be so high to affect their clothing and gear, ect.

Sphynx
QUOTE (SR3 PG 182 + Errata)
The target number for spells cast against inanimate objects is based on the material from which the object is made.  The more "high-tech" or processed an object is, the harder it is for magic to affect it.  Consult the Object Resistance Table for examples of objects and materials.  The Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the Object Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object.

We've already established by my previous quotes that you are casting 'against' the person (not the camera). From that point on, "it" is the pronoun for the object cast against (the person). Unless you're casting the spell against the camera, the "it" to be affected isn't the camera, so the OR/2 round down < force does not apply.

Anyhows, I've had this discussion countless times before. Not going to carry it further. Everyones allowed to have their own interpretation, but you should remember that it is just that, an interpretation. I'm not saying my view is Canon, I'm saying your view isn't Canon. Someone should not say "it is this way" when "this way" is merely an interpretation. wink.gif

Sphynx
BitBasher
Sphynx, you may have had this conversation before, but in order for your interpretation to be right you have to completely ignore where it is explicitly stated that the thing or person that views the subject of an invisibility spell or illusion is the Target of the spell.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Sphynx)
QUOTE (SR3 PG 182 + Errata)
The target number for spells cast against inanimate objects is based on the material from which the object is made.  The more "high-tech" or processed an object is, the harder it is for magic to affect it.  Consult the Object Resistance Table for examples of objects and materials.  The Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the Object Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object.

Anyhows, I've had this discussion countless times before. Not going to carry it further. Everyones allowed to have their own interpretation, but you should remember that it is just that, an interpretation. I'm not saying my view is Canon, I'm saying your view isn't Canon. Someone should not say "it is this way" when "this way" is merely an interpretation. wink.gif

Sphynx

My hurdle is thinking that the camera requires a certain level of the spell to be affected, while the person viewing the illusion is making the Resistance test with intelligence to try and disbelieve the illusion.

I guess unless we all get some "official" ruling on SR3's choice (or lack therein) of wording, interpret as you see fit.
Sandoval Smith
This is making my brain hurt. I'd always thought a video camera automatically failed.

So if I had Joe Average sec guard, sitting at a desk looking down the hall, and he failed to beat Improv Invis force 2 he wouldn't see me. But, if there was a camera looking down the hall, all he'd have to do is glance at the monitor on his desk and there I'd be?
Kanada Ten
So if I had Joe Average sec guard, sitting at a desk looking down the hall, and he failed to beat Improv Invis force 2 he wouldn't see me. But, if there was a camera looking down the hall, all he'd have to do is glance at the monitor on his desk and there I'd be?

Correct. The camera is not resisting, your magic simply isn't powerful enough to affect it.

Sphynx
Improved Invisibility affects technological sensors as well.
Kagetenshi
If OR is indeed involved, that's exactly how it would work.

~J
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
So if I had Joe Average sec guard, sitting at a desk looking down the hall, and he failed to beat Improv Invis force 2 he wouldn't see me.  But, if there was a camera looking down the hall, all he'd have to do is glance at the monitor on his desk and there I'd be?

Ha! That'd be a funny situation, I could see the Guard doing a fe double takes...looks at the monitor....looks down the hall....looks at the monitor... rollin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
So if I had Joe Average sec guard, sitting at a desk looking down the hall, and he failed to beat Improv Invis force 2 he wouldn't see me.  But, if there was a camera looking down the hall, all he'd have to do is glance at the monitor on his desk and there I'd be?

Ha! That'd be a funny situation, I could see the Guard doing a fe double takes...looks at the monitor....looks down the hall....looks at the monitor... rollin.gif

Basically the same situation as for Invisbility. If the guard had been paying attention during Security Watch 101 instead of passing notes to the cutie in the next aisle he'd recognise the situation immediately and punch the alarm button.
Kagetenshi
But what are the odds of that?

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Odds vary widely depending on facility. The Ares military weapon complex? High. The Toys 'R' Us warehouse? Low.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

unless the guard is a real moron? If what his eyes sees dramatically differs from what the camera sees then I'd have him dropkick the amarm and hide under his desk and wait for backup. He's prolly not trained well enough to handle well under stress.
Kagetenshi
I meant the odds of him having paid attention in Guard Duty 101 instead of eyeing the cutie next to him nyahnyah.gif

~J
Kanada Ten
In secure facilities guards are trained in a skill that acts complimentary to perception tests to notice subject's of the invisibility spell. This is probably done by using actual invisible subjects in all manners of situations. Therefore, I doubt a trained guard would fail to understand what he or she is seeing in such a situation.
GrinderTheTroll
Complimentary skill to notice Invisible people? Maybe if they knew someone might be invisible they could listen for sounds or something, but its kinda hard to use that if you don't they're there.
Kanada Ten
If you're a security guard it is your job to assume they are there. You roll the skill every time you make a perception test and half the successes (at the +8 TN to notice an invisible person) count to noticing them provided you received at least one success on the perception test. There are many other ways to notice invisible people using all five of your senses.

The skill is in MitS or SR3 (I think the former) under magical countermeasures, near Guardian Vines.
GrinderTheTroll
I just give them a bonus to the perception test if depending on how quite or stealthy the invisible person is being. Extra skills maybe for some elite guards, I dunno about your average joe_cop_01.
Joker9125
one of my players tries to abuse improved invisibility by saying it gets past thermo. "Look at the book it says it affects technology and thermo is technology!"

I of course try to patiently explain that the spell does nothing to affect body heat by saying "if you invisible and i touch your arm will it be warm?" it wouldnt be a problem except that he tires it every runit comes up sarcastic.gif

Of course this is also the guy that had his character stand and take a assault rifle shot to the chest because "it wasnt realistic for him to know to dodge"

So basically adjust the rules to the intelligence of your group. I generally take the simple approach with mine.
Kanada Ten
Invisibility blocks thermographic vision, which is the eyes viewing Infrared light emitted by the body in the exact same way the eyes see other light reflected by the body. Passive thermosensing, those senses that "feel" ambient heat or even "feel" IR radiation are not fooled by invisibility, but the same can be said for an invisible mirror reflecting the sun onto you: you will feel the heat, but not see the source.
bit_buckethead
Information germane to the discussion.

From Shadowrun FAQ.

http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml#4

Does the Invisibility spell work against thermographic vision?
Yes.

How does an improved invisibility spell function against a drone's sensors? Is it resisted by the drone or can the drone just not see the character? What if the drone's sensors include thermographic imaging?
Technically, Improved Invisibility requires a Resistance Test, and non-living things don't get to make Spell Resistance Tests. So the simple answer is that the spell automatically fools drones.
If you want to be picky, however, then you can note that Improved Invisibility works against any tech sensors that involve sight: video cameras, laser proximity detectors, rangefinders, thermo. As described on p. 135, SR3, however, vehicle sensors include other components such as ultrasound, radar, listening devices, etc. Theoretically, these sensors could pick up an invisible character. (The same as you might give an NPC a listening Perception Test as an invisible character moved by.)
If you allow a Sensor Test based on those components, you should apply some hefty modifiers, or perhaps only roll half the Sensor dice. Keep in mind that even if the drone detects the invisible character, it still won't be able to "see" him, so it may get confused or otherwise not act the same as if it had actually detected something walking by.
Kagetenshi
*Gets out the torch, salt, and shovel*

~J
Da9iel
I remember someone (you, Kagetenshi?) mentioning this earlier, but why the salt?
Kagetenshi
Yep, it was me. The salt is symbolic.

~J
GrinderTheTroll
Technically, Improved Invisibility requires a Resistance Test, and non-living things don't get to make Spell Resistance Tests. So the simple answer is that the spell automatically fools drones.

So does this bring to an end the debate of using OR for Improved Invis, etc?
Eyeless Blond
Not at all. What they're saying is that, after a machine is affected, there is no way for it to resist the spell. The OR debate is whether or not the machine is affected in the first place.

Besides, everyone knows the FAQ is a piece of junk. *points back to Kagetenshi's post*
BitBasher
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

Yes, like eyeless said, those two phrases are not mutually exclusive.
blakkie
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 24 2004, 04:57 PM)

Yes, like eyeless said, those two phrases are not mutually exclusive.

[quote]....Is it resisted by the drone or can the drone just not see the character? .... So the simple answer is that the spell automatically fools drones. ... [quote/]

No where does it mention OR occuring. No where does it imply it occuring. It is directly answering the question of whether or not the drone -resists-. If there was object resistance involved when asked about resistance in general OR would fall under that. If the question was specifically "spell resistance" you could claim non-exclusiveness. But this appears as a more general question.

So, barring an error in the FAQ, the answer appears to be no resistance for the sensors at all, object or otherwise.
Eyeless Blond
And we all know the FAQ is a paragon of truth and perfection, where no error exists and its word is law.

rotfl.gif
BitBasher
Blakkie, that quote specifically deals with resistance rolls, it's entirely accurate that cameras get no resistance roll. It's also entirely accurate that a spell cannot physically affect a device if the force isnt half the OR or greater. This does not contradict the already existing rule, it clarifies it. If the spell is high enough to affect the camera, then the camera is automacially fooled as it gets no resist roll.
blakkie
I see you are suggesting that OR applies even though it doesn't apply. Rather counter intuitive. Through rules lawyering i can see the argument (and perhaps applicable to automated systems) applying it to a simple CCTV camera and then giving someone viewing the monitor of the CCTV another check would seem far beyond the normal level of counterintuitive.

At what point do you stop passing on the ability to resist? If that CCTV system instead of a monitor processes the image, instead of just adjusting brightness, color, etc., such that the output displays movement pixels (only pixels that change from frame to frame) then do you still get the resistance? In fact it would be normal for "furturistic" video systems to do that since digital cable/satelite TV signals (i assume given how they look when they degrade) do that exact thing for data compression.

EDIT: To close out the thought, what the above means that in the case of invisibility you could not fool a machine or you can't give a spell resist to a person [EDIT:watching via a compressed digital CCTV monitor]. If you allow them to resist with intellegence it means that some change was passed onto the video. If some change was passed through the video that is always detectable by the machine. Of course there is some wiggle room in the situation of a chaotic environment. But in very visually calm environments it would hold true.
Eyeless Blond
I' apologize, but I have no idea what you're trying to say in the above post. Perhaps something about a person viewing camera footage of a person hidden with Improved Invisability being allowed a Resistance Test? I don't have a clue what you're talking about, or how you got that idea. All we're saying is that there is a difference between the subject of the spell--whom or what the spell is cast on--and the target of the spell--whom or what the spell is altering. The person being warded by the (improved) invisability spell is the subject, because he is the one the spell is being cast upon. Everyone viewing him is the target; they are the ones for whom the spell is creating false sensory imput.

If it were otherwise, if the person the spell was being cast upon is also the target, then the half-OR rule would apply to the target instead, and you would have the truly odd effect of someone with a F-1 invisability spell look like walking set of synthetic clothes and a gun. smile.gif

(Edit:) And, if you require further proof (Empnasis mine):
QUOTE (p. 55 of MitS @ second paragraph under "Illusion Spells")
Indirect Illusions are cast on a subject person or area. Anyone who views that person or area is a target of the spell. The base Drain Level for Indirect Illusion spells is based on how drastic a change they attempt to make.
blakkie
I' apologize, but I have no idea what you're trying to say in the above post. Perhaps something about a person viewing camera footage of a person hidden with Improved Invisability being allowed a Resistance Test?

It appears you indeed do have an idea about what my point was, and it is the correct one. wink.gif

All we're saying is that there is a difference between the subject of the spell--whom or what the spell is cast on--and the target of the spell--whom or what the spell is altering. The person being warded by the (improved) invisability spell is the subject, because he is the one the spell is being cast upon. Everyone viewing him is the target; they are the ones for whom the spell is creating false sensory imput.

If it were otherwise, if the person the spell was being cast upon is also the target, then the half-OR rule would apply to the target instead, and you would have the truly odd effect of someone with a F-1 invisability spell look like walking set of synthetic clothes and a gun. smile.gif

Actually what appears to be altered is "energy", from reading the intro to the indirect Illusions, although it doesn't talk about the difference between the Physical and Mana versions. Like most of the spell stuff it is rather vague in how it works ("It's magic!" cool.gif ) That does not preclude that the Physical spell alters the energy (light, sound...odor isn't really covered) around the subject, not the viewer. The viewer (sensor, human, etc.) then recieve direct physical world stuff (sound, light). In fact that would be the simplest and easiest way for the spell to function. So if the "standard" one didn't work like that any PC/NPC in my control would tend to custom their own spell that way. It would also be fairly logical that others would as well. wink.gif

The outcome of that is that indeed the sensor would be fooled. Except if it had some sort of AI rating that equated to an intellegence that could try determine via clues it could use that to finger out the location of the subject. You know, dust swirling where it shouldn't, light that the spell doesn't quite bend right (think Predator).

P.S. Do you require the OR check for Fling, for example? If so Force 1 Fling is without use, and > Force 2 is required to fling anything other than an unworked rock or stick. Flinging a credstick would require Force 5.

COUNTER EDIT: spin.gif Adding to what i mentioned above under the Indirect Illusion Spells, they may be the Target but they are not nessasarily altered directly by the Physical...ergo the Indirect. wink.gif Remember that they also don't quite follow the normal LOS rules for targets...unless with the Physical it works like i suggest then the LOS is not a problem.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (blakkie)
That does not preclude that the Physical spell alters the energy (light, sound...odor isn't really covered) around the subject, not the viewer. The viewer (sensor, human, etc.) then recieve direct physical world stuff (sound, light). In fact that would be the simplest and easiest way for the spell to function.

That would be nice, except that if a person resists an Improved Invisibility spell, they get no modifier to their Perception or Ranged Combat or other tests against the subject of said spell. If the spell actually acted on the light reflected from the subject, there would be a Blind Fire +8TN modifier for attacking the subject even after the spell has been successfully resisted.

Glyph said it better in the quote in the 8th message in this thread.
Eyeless Blond
Even further, that would be a Manipulation spell rather than an Illusion spell. Illusions don't alter photons or create other physical changes (and if you argue that altering the direction of photons is not a physical change, then what happens when a laser is shot into a person covered by Improved Invisability?); that is the realm of Manipulations, in particular a Light-based Elemental Manipulation. The drain code for something like that would be obscene as well; I'd say well into the +2-3D range. Not only that, but if the magic warps the paths of all the photons approaching you around you, then you also cannot see, and Improved Invis does not make you blind.
BitBasher
In the spell description it refers to creating "false sensory data". It gets the receptor (eyes or camera) to pick up incorrectly, not make it vanish.
bit_buckethead
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Besides, everyone knows the FAQ is a piece of junk. *points back to Kagetenshi's post*

No, I didn't know that the FAQ is error prone. Is there any thread that discusses these errors? I tried searching for it but my search-fu is weak.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012