Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Masking a Sustaining Focus
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RedmondLarry
This question involves the metamagic technique of Masking (MITS.76). Does masking of a sustaining focus also mask the spell in the focus? Say I have a Sustaining Focus 1 that is sustaining a Levitate 1 spell. To mask them both, do I have to be a Grade 2 initiate, or is Grade 1 sufficient?

Here's the rule:
QUOTE (Masking Foci and Spells @ MITS.76)
The masking ... covers the initiate and a number of Force Points of foci and/or sustained or quickened spells on the initiate's person equal to his grade. For example, a Grade 4 initiate can mask up to 4 points of foci or spells without any extra effort. Beyond that, however, the presence of foci or spells can be seen on the astral plane.
BitBasher
That's ultimately going to be your GM's call, but I would say if you mask the focus the spell is covered.
Sphynx
I agree with BitBasher, foci covers spells.

Sphynx
Jason Farlander
I disagree, actually. The aura of the focus and the astral signiature of the spell are different things, and I would say that they need to be masked separately.
Cochise
ACK Jason
Jason Farlander
Problem there Cochise? Care to be a little more explicit?

I mean, this isn't meant as any sort of interpretation on balance or whathaveyou, its just how I interpret the rules. The modification to your personal aura caused by a sustained spell is completely separate from the aura of an active focus, be it the sustaining focus used to maintain the spell or the spell category focus used to cast it. As such, both should need to be masked as the independent entities they are,
Crusher Bob
Can active spells be masked? I though masking only covered foci and your level of mundanity/initiation...
Da9iel
The description of masking in MITS p. 76 Masking Foci and Spells specifically mentions sustained or quickened spells.
Da9iel
Based on the wording in that paragraph I guess I'd tend to agree with those that say masking must cover the force of the focus plus the force of the spell. Ouch! One more tick for the side of quickening vs. sustainging foci.
Ombre
I agree with that last definition too...the focus and the spell have separate auras...the only advantage in masking the focus would be that it would pass for a Quickened spell to protect your focus from astral attacks
Cochise
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Problem there Cochise? Care to be a little more explicit?

No ... ACK = Acknowledgment = I totally agree with what you said there ...
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Cochise)
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Sep 27 2004, 11:54 AM)
Problem there Cochise?  Care to be a little more explicit?

No ... ACK = Acknowledgment = I totally agree with what you said there ...

Heh... I thought you were using the term as an intejection, implying surprise or alarm. Glad you could clear that one up.
Kanada Ten
I would not allow masking the focus to mask the spell as masking sustaining foci is no different than masking one's aura while sustaining a spell. The spell's aura is different and seperate from the focus, it doesn't even state the link from the spell is altered (meaning both the spell and the focus lead back to the caster).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012