Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Health effects of living in the sprawl...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Method
Just came across an interesting report on CNN's web site about the health impacts of living in a sprawl.

I thought it could introduce some interesting roleplay opportunities (character's with chronic headaches, the disparity between the healthy, beutiful corporate elite and sickly, ugly street dweller, etc.)...
RangerJoe
I'm skeptical. Modern day urban sprawl means endless suburban areas. Where you have suburban communities, you have suburban people, with suburban malaise and ailments. In urban areas with starker contrasts between rich and poor, you see fewer things like chronic headaches because the rich are too busy to complain, and the poor are too poor to seek treatment for annoying, but non-critical conditions.

In SR's sprawl, you have serious health risks, such as gangers, toxic dumping, and and worse.
Voran
Yeah. Hard to feel lethargic or have time to mull about your philosophical situation, when you've got devil rats chewing at your door smile.gif

In some sense, I imagine the disparity of situations has already played out in the game. You get rampant gangs, eco-mutant-zombies and to a degree...Shadowrunners themselves.
Rev
QUOTE (Method)
I thought it could introduce some interesting roleplay opportunities (character's with chronic headaches, the disparity between the healthy, beutiful corporate elite and sickly, ugly street dweller, etc.)...

Yea, its a really great opportunity. The beautiful people with thier cosmetic surgery, good diets, relative insulation from the worst pollution, excercise programs, bioware and gentech augmentation vs the people down in the muck who usually die before they are fifty.

Then between those you have your regular wageslaves who can get more crappy food, not as much pollution, but no bioware, gentech or excercise programs. They are perhaps nearly as unhealthy as the denizens of the barrens, but in different ways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012