Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of Latin America
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blue eyes
Since it's coming out next year according to Rob himself, can anybody shed some light on which countries will be in it ?

Man I'm looking forward to getting more info on Amazonia.

Fortune
It is? News to me, but then I'm old and senile...and a little out-of-touch lately. Hmmm...
Blue eyes
Yeah... Rob responded to an email of mine regarding future releases, and stated that Shadows of Latin America & Shadows of Asia, are coming out next year.
Synner
Rob actually mentioned Shadows of Latin America at this year's GenCon "What's Up With Shadowrun" conference. It is slated for sometime next year and like SoE it should involve locals. Shadows of Asia is currently being developed for early next year and both books should follow the Shadows of format (note there are 2 other books written and slated for release before that Loose Alliances and Running Wild).

According to the GenCon announcement Shadows of Latin America should include Aztlan, Amazonia and the rest of South and Central America (hence Latin America).
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (Fortune)
It is? News to me, but then I'm old and senile...and a little out-of-touch lately. Hmmm...

yea you really need to stop calling me billy, and telling me about the war, and how hotdogs used to cost a nickle.

this is the first shodows of title i've been interested in, but then again i like smuggler campaigns, and all the good stuff comes from latin amercia. its the american way
Fortune
I knew it was being worked on...hell, it started here. I just didn't know that it was actually on the agenda. That's great. I've been waiting for info on Amazonia forever.

Fygg: When I was your age, I had to walk 14 miles through glass-littered snow piled up to my armpits to get to my unheated, one-room school house just so that I could all share a book with 483 other kids. Did I mention I had to do this all barefoot? wink.gif
Sandoval Smith
Pah, you pansy. I had to do all of that while walking uphill both ways., and it wasn't through armpit deep snow, but ninjas!
Kagetenshi
I had to replicate by division until one iteration of me evolved legs before I could walk to school.

~J
Artemus
I am sure someone from the Shadow of Latin America group will post something on this thread.

And why are you all so interested in Amazonia? I mean there is nothing to see down there; nothing at all. :twidles thumbs:

I mean with all this attention and expectations, you might just make the Amazonia writer nervous.

Fortune
Since I first began to run Shadowrun (back in the day of variable weapon staging), I have had players pleading with me for more details (preferably official) on the Amazon, and Amazonia. The adventure in Harlequin was a less than satisfactory, and the other various hints and clues since then have been just a tease. The advent of shapeshifters as PCs only served to pour fuel on an already almost unquenchable fire.

Of course, I don't have players at the moment, but I'm still driven by the same burning frustration engendered by my former players' vain quest for information.

Pressure? Bah! Think of all the hope and dreams of all the Shadowrun GMs and players down through the years as you write...as you edit the history...as you brainstorm about the underlying motivations of the big players. Think of all the long years of anticipation, of laying awake at night dreaming that FASA, and then Wizkids would finally grant their fondest wish...an official write up of the most mysterious magical environment in the Sixth World.

What pressure?
lspahn72
QUOTE (Fortune)
Since I first began to run Shadowrun (back in the day of variable weapon staging), I have had players pleading with me for more details (preferably official) on the Amazon, and Amazonia. The adventure in Harlequin was a less than satisfactory, and the other various hints and clues since then have been just a tease. The advent of shapeshifters as PCs only served to pour fuel on an already almost unquenchable fire.

Of course, I don't have players at the moment, but I'm still driven by the same burning frustration engendered by my former players' vain quest for information.

Pressure? Bah! Think of all the hope and dreams of all the Shadowrun GMs and players down through the years as you write...as you edit the history...as you brainstorm about the underlying motivations of the big players. Think of all the long years of anticipation, of laying awake at night dreaming that FASA, and then Wizkids would finally grant their fondest wish...an official write up of the most mysterious magical environment in the Sixth World.

What pressure?

I have GM both the Har & SOTF Amazonia Adventures (love the man eating tree's). I also ran one supplemental adventure after that. I tried to get some of the feel of the WW Rage book. I have also seen awakened vines, jaguars, shapeshifters, mean protective shamans, Man Eating "goblins", and of course your occasional man eating dinosaur.(another gm, but the "raptor" were nasty!
Fortune
Yeah yeah! But I want the juicy bits. wink.gif
Empyrean Seraph
QUOTE (Synner)
According to the GenCon announcement Shadows of Latin America should include Aztlan, Amazonia and the rest of South and Central America (hence Latin America).

Except that the rest of Central America *is* Aztlan.
JongWK
QUOTE (Empyrean Seraph)
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 3 2004, 05:54 AM)

Except that the rest of Central America *is* Aztlan.

Not entirely true. For example, the Panama Canal is a Pan-Corporate Zone managed by the Corporate Court (and no, there is not a singly Aztlaner soldier in sight wink.gif).

Besides, who said things were stable in Central America, anyway?
Artemus
See told you someone from the LASB project would show up. From the old thread about the LASB, here's the list of countries that might be covered (per JongWK):

We're aiming for Amazonia, Argentina, Aztlan, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela (Caracas).

Fortune: Just out of curiosity, what would you like to see covered in the Amazonia chapter? And I probably wouldn't want to be the writer, I mean poor soul if he screws up.
JongWK
Put the Carib League as a "maybe."
Fortune
QUOTE (JongWK)

Yes please. smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Artemus)
Just out of curiosity, what would you like to see covered in the Amazonia chapter? And I probably wouldn't want to be the writer, I mean poor soul if he screws up.

I'm a Metaplot Junkie, so I wouldn't mind the official skinny on just who is doing what to whom...and maybe even a couple of hints as to why.

I have enough of an imagination to figure out what jungles would be like, given the advent of the Awakening. I can pretty easily extrapolate any geographical changes to the area. I can create a whole variety of critters, both Awakened and not to inhabit the environment. I can even fake my way through the cultural, social, and even lifestyle differences as compared to Seattle if I really have to.

I want local legends, both well-known and obscure, that are inter-woven into the fabric of Shadowrun's history and unique magic system.

I want to know the motivations of the movers and shakers of the Sixth World, especially when it involves large-scale magical mysteries and phenomena.

I want more IE/GD shadowtalk.

I want hints and tidbits that will go towards solving some of the various unknowns in Shadowrun.

I want new controversies and conspiracies to argue over.

I want Amazonia! biggrin.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (JongWK)

Well if they go ahead with the re-publishing of old books through the internet then this would have to get a resounding no from me. The place got half a book or so in Cyberpirates, why give up word count and space when you've go a whole continent that hasn't been covered at all. Maybe a brief mention and a quick update but not any serious space, save that for South America itself in my opinion.
Fortune
I guess I have to agree with FlakJacket, although a mention would be nice. smile.gif
Artemus

I'm a Metaplot Junkie, so I wouldn't mind the official skinny on just who is doing what to whom...and maybe even a couple of hints as to why.

I have enough of an imagination to figure out what jungles would be like, given the advent of the Awakening. I can pretty easily extrapolate any geographical changes to the area. I can create a whole variety of critters, both Awakened and not to inhabit the environment. I can even fake my way through the cultural, social, and even lifestyle differences as compared to Seattle if I really have to.

I want local legends, both well-known and obscure, that are inter-woven into the fabric of Shadowrun's history and unique magic system.

I want to know the motivations of the movers and shakers of the Sixth World, especially when it involves large-scale magical mysteries and phenomena.

I want more IE/GD shadowtalk.

I want hints and tidbits that will go towards solving some of the various unknowns in Shadowrun.

I want new controversies and conspiracies to argue over.

I want Amazonia!

Boy you don't want much do you? I will venture a guess and say that most of what you want will be covered, but I wouldn't bet on IE/GD talk. Based on what I read in SoE you will probably have a lot of new stuff to debate over.
FlakJacket
Amazonia can have all the IE's and dragons it wants, that's going to be their little banana republic. But please, for the love of god don't turn the whole continent into metaplot land. Sure have Amazonia and Aztlan be slightly weird, but how about we just leave the rest of the countries as normal scheming bastards for a change eh? wink.gif
Fortune
I'm sure I won't be disappointed, no matter what. I don't think I'm asking too much though. It isn't like I'm asking for everything on a silver platter. Just that the writers (and Rob) take this golden opportunity to advance the magical metaplot in this age of back-to-the-street mentality with hints and clues and riddles. It's things like these that keep the Sixth World fresh and vibrant for me, and quite a few other die-hard fans.
Fortune
I don't think were at odds in our views Flak. I certainly don't want an entire continent of Awakened stuff, or IE plots, or GD secret hide-aways. I do want was has been hinted and alluded to over the years fleshed out though. Like I said, not everything has to be all laid out in black and white (where's the fun in that?). I just hope that the writers don't totally ignore the opportunity to plants further seeds while (hopefully) expanding on prior canon as logically as possible.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Amazonia can have all the IE's and dragons it wants, that's going to be their little banana republic. But please, for the love of god don't turn the whole continent into metaplot land. Sure have Amazonia and Aztlan be slightly weird, but how about we just leave the rest of the countries as normal scheming bastards for a change eh? wink.gif

I'm not sure there would reasonably be much else. Aztlan has probably taken over the US's old role of keeping the entire place destabilized.

~J
JongWK
FYI, State of the Art: 2064 includes a few teasers regarding Latin America.
Fortune
JongWK: Can you tell us who actually is writing up (the bulk of) the Amazonia section?
JongWK
*Points at Artemus* nyahnyah.gif

Note that none of this is official. The LASB is still a net project.
Artemus
Me.
JongWK
Beat you to it! nyahnyah.gif
Artemus
Darn you!!!

JongWK
Too slow, my friend, too slow. nyahnyah.gif
Artemus
Well it's the added pressure from all of SR's players wishes for good material on Amazonia. All this pressure is slowing me down.
Ecclesiastes
Everyone back off and let the man work!

wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Artemus)
Well it's the added pressure from all of SR's players wishes for good material on Amazonia. All this pressure is slowing me down.

I kinda figured it must be you. Excuses, excuses! biggrin.gif

I do realise that this is still 'unofficial'. I just wanted to know where to direct the flames. nyahnyah.gif wink.gif
Artemus

I kinda figured it must be you. Excuses, excuses!

What gave you that idea? biggrin.gif

do realise that this is still 'unofficial'. I just wanted to know where to direct the flames.

:puts on flame retardant suit:

Ok now I can get back to work.
Blue eyes
QUOTE (Artemus)
Just out of curiosity, what would you like to see covered in the Amazonia chapter? And I probably wouldn't want to be the writer, I mean poor soul if he screws up.

For a long time I have been waiting on some info on Amazonia, I mean were are dealing with "THE AWAKENED SUPERPOWER OF THE SIXTH WORLD, I just look forward to get some intel on the following things regarding Amazonia:

The government of Amazonia. Who is in charge besides Hualpa.

The military of Amazonia, an awakend army that can kick Atzlan's butt.

Intel on a superpower nation, that is environmental friendly - what corps have made the cut if any?

Some more intel on the different dragons of Amazonia (yes I have read Dragons of the sixth world).

Info on how the different "non-critters" like shapechangers, nagas etc. have taken up residence in Amazonia as fully fledged citizens & what that means to the nation.

Info on the indian population, maybe something on the major tribes & their leaders.

Info on how the infra structure of the nation functions, while being environmental correct.

Maybe some new critters & magic.

Blue eyes
I realize that all that mentioned above, is a lot a things, and that it will take up a lot of space, but you are planning on Amazonia being one of the biggest chapters in the book together with Atzlan right?

Crimsondude 2.0
Well, they are the two largest LA countries in SR, by far.
JongWK
QUOTE (Blue eyes)
I realize that all that mentioned above, is a lot a things, and that it will take up a lot of space, but you are planning on Amazonia being one of the biggest chapters in the book together with Atzlan right?

That's the general idea.
Artemus
@Blue eyes: I can tell you that we are going to try and squeeze as much as we can into the chapter. But just like SoE there might be some things that won't make it. Hopefully just like with SoE some of the material that does not make it will make its appearance in other books or via the website.

For further info on South America and Amazonia, please read Sota 64's Culture Shock section. Hidden within is a little tid bit about an important Amazonian figure, as well as the World Cup write up, which was excellent biggrin.gif wink.gif.

And yes Amazonia will be one of the biggest (probably THE biggest) chapter in SoLA. It already has more info written for it than any other chapter. And we are tirelessly working on it (I might be writing it, but the whole group helps me out). I do hope we don't disappoint (looks over at Fortune, puts on flame retardant gel over flame retardant suit).

Blue eyes
Thank you Artemus.

I look forward to seeing your project when it's done. Now I have even more reason to look forward to SOTA 64 which I will be getting in a day or two.

By the way have all the countries writers for the project by now?

Good luck & continue the good work.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012