Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Online Shadowrun Games?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ouchies
Does anyone here play in any online games? PBem/PbP/Chat games? if so, id be interested. My local gaming group only has 1 shadowrun game, and its always full, so an online game is the next best thing biggrin.gif

hope to hear from you soon.
Tanka
Your prayers have been answered!

No, seriously. The forum right below this one is filled with games. The only one actively recruiting that I know of is the CSI-based one.
Kagetenshi
We at Shadows of the Sixth World are always recruiting, though we're in the midst of a run at the moment so it may be a few weeks before you'd be able to play.

~J
Ouchies
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
We at Shadows of the Sixth World are always recruiting, though we're in the midst of a run at the moment so it may be a few weeks before you'd be able to play.

~J

Awesome. Thanks for the quick replies. Kagetenshi do you know what type of character would be needed most? ill check out the site right now.
Dashifen
Runs start up all the time. You kind of have to lurk the board and watch for threads that are either (a) calling for recruitingor (b) start with OOC: and don't have a lot of posts. By the way, OOC is Out of Character and IC is In Character; these abbreviations often start the thread title for games providing a way for players to interact and characters to interact seperately from one another. Check out a few games on the board to get a feel for how they run. It's a little different than a real-world game, in my experience, both in pacing and in style, but can be a lot of fun.
Ouchies
a fellow illinoisian.. lol. im from bloomington/normal .. i used to goto the live action vampire game in Champaign, when i was the storyteller for the bloomington chapter..

anyways... ill look into the ones posted here, and read up. maybe ill get lucky and find a good game thats recruiting

thanks for the info biggrin.gif
Moon-Hawk
I'm thinking of starting one with some friends of mine that can no longer get together regularly. Sounds like some people have some experience and I was wondering if anyone had any tips, helpful software, or anything else they'd like to share with me.
Thanks.
Dashifen
My DCRS was built for GMs of online shadowrun games. It's currently being redesigned and I haven't gotten much done in a while but it is working in it's 1.0 beta release. I have a thread for it in the Community Projects forum if you find bugs.
the_dunner
Quite a few years ago, (At least 6, maybe 8. I think that's roughly a geologic age in web development time.) I played around with a tool called webrpg. I just googled it and apparently it still exists as part of rpghost now. It was a slick little program for on-line gaming. Basically, a Java applet that let you design your own maps, place "miniatures on them" and have triggered sounds. There was then a chat client and a built in dice roller.

I don't usually bother with instant messaging, so for all I know these tools may now be available in AIM or one of the other clients. But when I last played around with it, I found this to be a pretty slick little package. Anyone running an on-line game might want to consider checking it out.
Critias
Shadowland's always looking for new blood. We're horrible elitist monsters with our own cynical version of the setting, though (just to be, y'know, up front about it).
Moon-Hawk
Thanks. Specifically I'm looking for stuff for playing by e-mail, not "live" online play, but I'll look at that software you mentioned. Those maps sound useful.
mfb
shadowland uses a play-by-post system, rather than chat games. it's also got a built-in die roller. post once or twice a day, then go do whatever. like a low-grade cocaine habit, really.
Eldritch
RPOL & PlayByWeb

Are both places I play at - and I happen to be in a SR game on each - (also, I think the one over at RPOL might be actively recruiting.)
Both sites have there pros and cons. Though if given a choice of just one pace to play it'd be RPOL.

They are both pBp game sites. The few times I've seen groups try to get together in a live environment it has fallen apart becuase of time zones. But that''s just been my expierence.

Good luck.
Kremlin KOA
hey kage, when is SotSW set? the tech level suggests '49
Kagetenshi
'55. I need to creep the tech level up a bit.

One of the games is still in July, the other (set in Chicago) is some week and a half away from bugging out smile.gif

~J
CirclMastr
I hope I'm right in thinking which is which, otherwise one of my characters is in serious trouble. wink.gif
Ouchies
well ive found one game, that runs on wednesdays, but still looking for other days. so if you know of any others, let me know smile.gif
Kagetenshi
SotSW runs Tuesdays and Thursdays. Not sure if the Tuesday game is looking for anyone else, but the Thursday one will have openings when the current run finishes.

~J
Ouchies
i went to the website you posted, but couldnt create an account to the forums, and most forums there hadnt had posts in months, am i going to the wrong place?
Kagetenshi
I'll investigate the account thing; we had a problem with that once before. The lack of posts is due to the system we use. Behind the scenes are a bunch of different hidden subforums visible only to the player or players involved (plus the GM forums), in which character sheets and hidden actions are posted. We're still quite active smile.gif

~J
Ouchies
yeah, it wont let you choose an username to apply, just the email address and password, it was wierd. lol.
Kagetenshi
Try it again. At some point I need to get around to reinstalling the BBTech style…

[edit] You're way ahead of me smile.gif

~J
Mr. Man
QUOTE (the_dunner)
Quite a few years ago, (At least 6, maybe 8. I think that's roughly a geologic age in web development time.) I played around with a tool called webrpg.

OpenRPG is like WebRPG but its free software.
Ouchies
yeah i play a SR game there on wednesdays now. but 1 day a week just isnt enough lol
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Oct 6 2004, 10:55 AM)
Quite a few years ago, (At least 6, maybe 8.  I think that's roughly a geologic age in web development time.) I played around with a tool called webrpg.

OpenRPG is like WebRPG but its free software.

WebRPG is freeware now as well, IIRC.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012