Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adepts and Gloves
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fortune
How would you rule that Hardliner Gloves (or brass knuckles) work in conjunction with the Adept Power Killing Hands?

What about if the Gloves were enchanted? Would they stack?

I pretty much know the arguments both for and against, I'm just undecided as to which is fairer. Hence I'm open to any opinions on offer. One never knows when he might benefit from a fresh viewpoint. smile.gif
Tanka
I might be prone to rule them as I tend to rule Shock Gloves. Gives the StrM but also the 8S shock attack. However, seeing as they just modify the amount of hurt, then I'd say Hardliners just add 1 to the power.

Remember, Killing Hands just changes the Stun to Physical via magic. As far as I'm concerened, any modifications to the power of the attack stick.
Fortune
The problem is that Hardliner Gloves have an actual listed Damage Code ([STR+1]M?) as opposed to being described as adding +1 to Unarmed damage. If it was just a matter of them being listed as '+1 to UA', then it wouldn't really be a factor.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that HL Gloves should be able to be used in conjunction with Killing Hands (and I know as a GM I could rule this way...if it was my game).

What about the second question, tanka?
Tanka
If they changed the damage code or the type of damage, I'd definately nix it. However, it adds +1 to the power and keeps it as Stun.

To further my reasoning, the flavor text kind of sells me.

QUOTE ("Cannon Companion @ p. 49")
[...]an array of stylish leather gloves that discreetly provide a little extra punch when the chips are down.  Each glove contains a thin layer of densiplast set into the knuckles and along the edge of the hand[...]

Basically, it adds "extra punch" but doesn't replace your normal attacking.

I rule the same way if the Adept has bone lacing or replacement limbs. They get the extra oomph because they have harder hands in some way, shape, or form.

Now, if the Hardliners gave a completely different damage code (either one not based on Str, L, S, or D instead of M, or physical instead of stun), then I'd ignore the idea.
Fortune
OK, I follow you.

I did mean to add Stun to the Damage Code in my last post, but failed to do so for some strange reason. frown.gif

So, assuming that Hardliners grant a flat +1 to Unarmed/Martial Arts Damage Code, and that Bone Lacing adds +1 or more to UA/MA DC, and that DC would change from Stun to Physical when Killing Hands is thrown into the picture. How would all of these things interact when the Gloves are Enchanted?
Tanka
Enchanted as what? I'd rule that they don't need to be Enchanted to add their power modifier.

Though, I would not allow the modifier in Distance Strike. If they were Enchanted, then I would.
Fortune
QUOTE (tanka)
Enchanted as what?

As Weapon Foci.

I'd rule that they don't need to be Enchanted to add their power modifier.

As would I, as I thought I stated in my last post, given that they add a plus rather than having a specific Damage Code.

Though, I would not allow the modifier in Distance Strike.  If they were Enchanted, then I would.

I disallow Distance Strike, so that's not really an issue for me. That being said, if I allowed it, I still wouldn't allow it to be used in conjunction with Weapon Foci of any kind. Out of curiosity, would you also disallow Bone Lacing when using Distance Strike?
UPTD
Out of curiosity, would you also disallow Bone Lacing when using Distance Strike?

Of course! I see Distance Strike as a purely magical attack, and physical aspects of the attack would have no effect. I would also allow Enchanted items to add their bonus. Enchanted items are, well, magical so I would think that enchated gloves would help with distance strike.

-UPTD
mfb
i'd allow bone lacing, simply on the principle that it's paid for with essence. hardliner gloves, no--not for distance strike. for killing hands, yes; i wouldn't disallow killing hands with normal gloves, so i can't see disallowing killing hands in conjunction with densiplast-lined gloves. my adept is planning to get hardliner weapon foci at some point, so obviously i'm in favor of that, too.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Fortune)
I disallow Distance Strike, so that's not really an issue for me. That being said, if I allowed it, I still wouldn't allow it to be used in conjunction with Weapon Foci of any kind.

I as well. If an adept wants to do something so obviously *not* under the purview of an adept's powers, they can be a physical mage and cast the Clout spell.
Tanka
Distance Strike + HG Weapon Focus is a bit of a knife's edge deal. I disagree with any weapon being used in a Disance Strike, even a focus. The same applies to regular HG, and also bone lacing/replacement limbs. I view DS as more of a "throwing of the will" than an attack.
Fortune
QUOTE (UPTD)
I would also allow Enchanted items to add their bonus. Enchanted items are, well, magical so I would think that enchated gloves would help with distance strike.

I'm not sure it's a good thing to start setting a precident for Weapon Foci to be used in Ranged Combat of any sort. Next comes Enchanted Arrows and Bullets. Where do you draw the line?
UPTD
Where do you draw the line?
(Fortune)

For what's in contact with your body. Arrows are not in contact with the person and can't be activated at that point. Yes, the picture on the cover of SRcomp looks cool, but doesn't fit in with the rules.

"Though rumors of magical missiles abound, no one has yet found a way to enchant any kind of magical missile weapon. The problem is that a weapon focus, like any other focus, functions only in the hand of its owner. As soon as the focus is no longer in contact with its owner, it deactivates. This makes the enchanting of missile weapons problematic, to say the least." Pg. 191 SR3

On Weapon Foci:
"To the mundane, foci are ordinary objects with n magic at all. To the awakened, they are a source of power, assisting in the use of magical skills." pg. 189, SR3

"Weapon Foci are magical melee weapons...An active weapon focus adds its force to its owners appropriate combat skill when wielded in combat." Pg. 191 SR3. You all knew that.

"A weapon focus inflicts its base damage in both physical and astral combat." Pg. 191 SR3

On distance strike:
"This power allows an adept to "transmit" an unarmed attack over a short distance and strike a target without physically touching them." Pg. 149 MITS

"The power has a range of the adept's magic and inflicts the standard damage for an unarmed attack. The adept makes an Unarmed Combat Test as normal, ignoring reach modifiers." Pg. 149 MITS

"Targets on the other side of an astral barrier cannot be affected by this power, on either the physical or astral planes." pg. 150 MITS

All this together tells me that you can "transmit" what would normally be a hand-to-hand attack over a small distance. Its implies you use everything as if it were the actual physical attack. So I think that since a glove weapon focus a) works in astral space, meaning its magical (we all knew that) and b) is an unarmed attack that it should work with distance strike. I would give the glove bonus to damage too, though since that is a bit of a stretch to justify within reality, GM decision on physical glove bonus.

-UPTD
Fortune
I still maintain that a Weapon Focus shouldn't be able to project it's Power over a distance. I believe that is in keeping with the way Foci work in Shadowrun, and I think it's a fair trade-off for the Adept not having to close to melee range.
Kremlin KOA
scary precedent... not a game breaker but how the powergamers will try to push for the next few steps.
mfb
i'd say the line is drawn right there at Distance Strike.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (UPTD)
For what's in contact with your body. Arrows are not in contact with the person and can't be activated at that point. Yes, the picture on the cover of SRcomp looks cool, but doesn't fit in with the rules.

[...]

All this together tells me that you can "transmit" what would normally be a hand-to-hand attack over a small distance. Its implies you use everything as if it were the actual physical attack. So I think that since a glove weapon focus a) works in astral space, meaning its magical (we all knew that) and b) is an unarmed attack that it should work with distance strike. I would give the glove bonus to damage too, though since that is a bit of a stretch to justify within reality, GM decision on physical glove bonus.

The problem with this is you now open the path to magical bows (or worse, magical guns), rather than magical arrows. Previous to this the weapon focus had to be in contact with both the attacker and the target; now it only has to be in physical contact with the attacker, who transmits the power of the focus along with the attack.

If magical arrows and bullets are a problem, magical bows and guns are an even greater one, because players might actually be tempted to use them. Noone would pay 100,000 nuyen.gif + for one extra die for one shot, but many would pay that for extra die on every shot.
mfb
i'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion, blond. there are a number of powers that only work while unarmed, and there's no way to transfer them to any sort of weapon. why should DS be any different?
The Jopp
Hmm, a magician armed with a bow MIGHT actually create a magical missile just by casting a sustained spell at the arrow.

Possible spells to cast on an arrow

Barrier: Now, how the hell do we calculate the damage for a large DOME hitting a group of targets with an arrow at it's centre? wobble.gif wobble.gif wobble.gif
Fortune
That's not really at issue though. nyahnyah.gif

We're contemplating the ramifications of using a Weapon Focus in what is effectively Ranged Combat. Sustained and/or Anchored spells are another matter. This is all pretty moot to me though, as in my opinion Distance Strike is not an Adept Ability.

Personally, I'd like to hear how those people that stated that a Weapon Focus Hardliners are compatible with Killing Hands think it would work.
Zenmaxer
I have always viewed DS as a transmission of damage, like something out of a cheesy anime movie, rather than a true ki strike, so I have no issue with allowing HG gloves to compound with it...

Shock gloves, yes, but especially if they're cybernetic. Not sure if I'd allow that for DS though, but I would add it to killing hands. After all, it's a shock weapon, and while a giant bolt of electric death arcing across six meters would look pretty cool... it's a little out there.

actually, I'll even allow hand blades and sometimes razors (but not spurs) to compound with killing hands. paid for with essenceand it's entirely possible to slam that blade in up to the hilt... which just happens to be your killing hand. I don't know if I'd compound for DS though.
Crisp
QUOTE (UPTD)

For what it's worth I've always considered that the character on the cover of SRComp was a magician (possibly a physical magician) using Flame Aura or some similar spell.
UpSyndrome
I'd disallow hardliner gloves with distance strike, but I would allow things like titanium bone lacing, since they were (as previously mentioned) paid for with essence. Also, distance strike can't be a purely magical attack, because the damage code is still determined by strength, not the more mystical attribute of willpower.

-Joe
Critias
QUOTE (UPTD @ Oct 10 2004, 11:11 AM)
Arrows are not in contact with the person and can't be activated at that point. Yes, the picture on the cover of SRcomp looks cool, but doesn't fit in with the rules.

Actually, I've just always told myself that the cover-pic is someone casting Manabolt or something, with geasa and/or centering techniques that revolve around drawing back a bowstring and taking aim. Though I've never actually seen it or even seriously considered it for one of my own characters, it struck me as a fairly decent, stylistically appropriate, way for a spellcaster to get some distinctive style/centering/focus/geasa all rolled into one.
Lindt
I on the other hand will argue aginst everything.
I dont give a dreck if you paid for your cyber arms with essance, you better have flesh and blood hands if you plan on using your killing hands D. I dont see how you can exacly channel enough magical energy through a peice of inert alloy to kill someone with a simple punch. This is magic, it dosent place nice with technoligy. Same with distance strike, its your base strength, if you want to hit someone with the magical aura of your cyber arm, stuff a shotgun into it. cyber.gif
Zenmaxer
okkkkay.... nevermind there's no cannon support, how do you justify calling it a piece of inert alloy? It is part of your character, it is fused with his or her aura.
John Campbell
It's worth noting that you can target a spell on someone when all you can see of them is their cyberhand.
mfb
for that matter, how would a mage with cybereyes cast any spells?
Tanka
QUOTE (mfb)
for that matter, how would a mage with cybereyes cast any spells?

Magic? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Zenmaxer
I second that. Magic. it's technically feeding you the unfiltered image.... once we had a mage who used a fly by wire independant cyber-eye to target stuff.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (UPTD)

It fits perfectly. It is entirely legal to have an arrow as a weapon focus, so even if that is a focus and not something else, the cover of SRComp is legal.

Of course, the focus deactivates immediately upon cessation of contact with the bonded person's body, so it doesn't actually do much good, but it still fits.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (UPTD @ Oct 10 2004, 11:11 AM)

It fits perfectly. It is entirely legal to have an arrow as a weapon focus, so even if that is a focus and not something else, the cover of SRComp is legal.

Of course, the focus deactivates immediately upon cessation of contact with the bonded person's body, so it doesn't actually do much good, but it still fits.

~J

Two words: Fishing arrows.
Eyeless Blond
Two more words: Reach Infinity. How much Karma does it cost to bond that? smile.gif
Kanada Ten
Sadly, Reach doesn't effect karma cost, just purchase price. Obviously, no GM would call that a melee weapon or allow it to be a weapon focus in that manner.

As for the glowing arrow... something akin to the Armor spell, or Flame Aura.
Fortune
I always saw the arrow as having an Anchored Spell of some kind attached.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012