Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how does distance strike work ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
xizor
ok i have finally bought mits and i have a few questions about the distance strike adept power.

1 when an adept hits someone with distance strike, does the person hit suffer a knockdown test?

2 Can an adept use distance strike to choke someone? (like Darth Vader? )

3 can an adept use distance strike to pick something up and move it around?
mfb
by the rules: yes, yes, no.
GrinderTheTroll
It's like "a long range punch" or like the spell Clout, it's not Telekenesis.
mfb
actually, come to think, #2 is no as well. and maybe #1, though that's iffy. the DS power tells you exactly what to roll and how to roll it; generally, that means you're not allowed to modify that roll.
Crimsondude 2.0
Certain novels described it as a telekinetic "punch."

Novels... described this.

Just use the rules in the book.
Kagetenshi
#2 is nonguaranteed. Your choking them certainly won't do anything other than Strength (M) Stun or $Base_Damage, modified by successes on attack test, but that doesn't mean that can't be what you're doing.

~J
mfb
i was assuming he was asking if Distance Strike could be combined with Subduing Combat. my answer would be no, based mainly on the fact that i don't like it, conceptually.
Kagetenshi
The "like Darth Vader" addendum made me think that subdual had very little to do with it.

~J
Bokujin
From your question, it sounds like you're thinking that Distance Strike is just like having really long and invisible arms. Which, as far as I know, it's not. I was always under the impression that Distance Strike was more a one-way transferal of force than an extension of your arms.

But, as with all things in this game, it's really up to your GM as to what he or she thinks it should be.
Sandoval Smith
If watching from the astral, I'd think distance strike looks kind of like shooting lasers from your body. It's a quick projection of force from the body that only works against living targets. So you can't sustain it and strangle someone, and you can't use it to punch out windows, or hit switches out of normal reach.
Eyeless Blond
Either way, I'm not sure how it fits under the purview of an Adept power. Other than Distance Strike and Delay Damage, all adept powers work by using magic to improve the body and mind. Indeed, this is what an adept does, by definition. Both Delay Damage and Distance Strike by their very nature are outside the adept's own body. Distance Strike in particular doesn't make any sense to me as a power; it seems more like a spell.

Ah well, maybe I should just quit whinning.
John Campbell
Distance Strike clearly exists so that it's possible to build Street Fighter characters as Shadowrun adepts.
BitBasher
And that the ability to strike across short distnaces is a classic martial arts ability in fiction, which is what adepts represnt in SR a lot of the time.
GrinderTheTroll
How come I can't sword fight in the air then?

/disappointed.
Kagetenshi
Levitate.

~J
Fortune
I guess they just forgot to give Levitate to Adepts then. smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
Or, while we're at it, Heal and Control Thoughts (ninjas could hypnotize people too, remember?) Ooh, or that neat trick you see in alot of ninja animes where the ninja substitutes something else, like a tree stump, for his own body, while he makes a counterattack from a nearby tree. Or that other anime where the guy makes a Distance Strike with his sword, or shoots fire out of it.

Distance Strike does not fit with any of the explainations as to how an adept's power works that I've read. I have no idea what the writers were thinking when they included this as an adept power. I have misgivings about Delay Dmage too, but not as much as Distance Strike.
Kagetenshi
Let me point out that these are all things that showed up long before anime.

~J
Bokujin
It's a good thing you pointed that out, because I was about to make some bad Naruto jokes.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 12 2004, 12:41 PM)
Let me point out that these are all things that showed up long before anime.

Naturally, although that *is* where most of those ideas came to *me* from.

Anyway, my point is that just because you've seen a character do it in a movie somewhere or read about someone doing it in a book somewhere doesn't mean that an adept should have it as a power. Distance Strike was a bad idea for an adept power, not so much for invalidating anyone else's power, but because it doesn't fit in with how an adept is supposed to work, as stated in the BBB and MitS.

(Edit): Oh, and Naruto rocks. smile.gif
blakkie
...Distance Strike was a bad idea for an adept power, not so much for invalidating anyone else's power, but because it doesn't fit in with how an adept is supposed to work, as stated in the BBB and MitS.

...right up until they trotted out the Way of the Magician. Once you have Adepts that can cast spells it's more of a step back towards the tradition definition for Adepts with spell-like powers rather than casting a spell like a shaman/herm to be able to do approximately the same but without the adept flair.
Fortune
Way of the Magician is fine, and that Power could be simulated with Clout.

As for a pure Adept though, Distance Strike does not really fit with the stated way that Adepts use magic.
John Campbell
You keep saying that Distance Strike doesn't fit how adept powers are supposed to work, but I just don't see it. It's not Manabolt For Physads. It's simply being able to focus your energy so well that the force of your attacks extends a little ways past your physical body. Not far... the range is sharply limited. In almost all cases, its range is actually less than the distance at which the physad could simply run up and punch the target. If you can accept that a physad can project mystical energy from his hands to turn stunning attacks into killing ones, I don't think it's much of a stretch to accept that he can project it a few meters farther and use it to carry the force of his attacks over a short distance.
Fortune
Because the Adept does not "project mystic energy" with Killing Hands. He uses the magic of his body to physically damage his target. An Adept's Powers are supposed to be personal, centered around his own body. I don't see how that can be reconciled with Distance Strike, which has a wholely external effect.

I'm not arguing to convince anyone to change the way they play or GM Shadowrun. I'm merely expanding on my personal reasoning for disallowing the Power.
toturi
I basically see adepts as being able to do anything in the Chinese martial arts novels like Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes and Heaven Sword, Dragon Sabre. Actually sometimes my NPC have martial arts and geasa based on these novels. So there is no difference between external or internal "Powers". In fact one of my favorite kung fu from the novels is the 18 Dragon Subduing Palms, of which one of the "powers" is a Distance Strike.
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 13 2004, 10:02 PM)
I basically see adepts as being able to do anything in the Chinese martial arts novels like Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes and Heaven Sword, Dragon Sabre. Actually sometimes my NPC have martial arts and geasa based on these novels. So there is no difference between external or internal "Powers". In fact one of my favorite kung fu from the novels is the 18 Dragon Subduing Palms, of which one of the "powers" is a Distance Strike.

That kind of thing is well-reflected in the Adept of the Magical Way.

The point is that Shadowrun does differentiate between Adepts and Mages, describing an Adept's version (and limitation) of magic as being internal.
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 13 2004, 10:02 PM)

That kind of thing is well-reflected in the Adept of the Magical Way.

The point is that Shadowrun does differentiate between Adepts and Mages, describing an Adept's version (and limitation) of magic as being internal.

I think this is a half empty/half full glass thing.

Magicians Way breaks the Adept out of the mould of internal only magic. They are put forth as Adepts that gain magicians abilities, not magicians that gain Adept abilities. The Distance Strike allows some middle ground between so that you can have a closer to traditional Adept without the other trappings of magery.

Yes, it and Delayed Damage are somewhat different than the other powers in that it extends outside of the body. But they have already gone there with the Magical Power...which you don't seem to have a problem with.
Fortune
An Adept can't take Magical Power without all the drawbacks that come with it (ie. he can't start as an Adept and then aquire Magical Power, according to canon). I don't have as much of a problem with Physical Magicians because they do have limitations. Don't get me wrong, they can become very powerful, but not as a starting character.

Why should there be a need for any sort of middle ground between an Adept and what is already effectively the middle-ground Physical Mage? If the Adept wants to have his Magic have an external effect, then he should be a Physical Mage.

As I said though, this is only my opinion (and my rules when I GM), and I'm not trying to sway your opinion as much as I am trying to clarify my position.
blakkie
Well since you are house ruling anyways you could always just treat Distance strike as being accomplished with a highly focused shockwave. So it isn't magic that reaches out and touches, it is air. *shrug* Given the very limited distances (Magic Rating meters) that isn't too harsh on realism, such that realism in SR is.
Fortune
(Magic Rating) meters can add up once Initiation kicks in.

Since I'm house-ruling anyway (as you say), why would I even need to explain the existance of a Power that I think breaks the basic phylosophy of the Adept, when I can simply solve the whole problem by removing the offending Power?
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune)
(Magic Rating) meters can add up once Initiation kicks in.

Awakened characters start becoming quite mystical at higher Grades. *shrug* Take a look at some of those metamagic techniques.

Since I'm house-ruling anyway (as you say), why would I even need to explain the existance of a Power that I think breaks the basic phylosophy of the Adept, when I can simply solve the whole problem by removing the offending Power?

Because it's a cool power? nyahnyah.gif As a shockwave it certainly does NOT break the philosophy anymore than improved throwing powers do. Why deny the players the -option- of the cool power when you can settle your mind -simply- with treating it as a shockwave? It certainly doesn't have a balance issue.

Fortune
With Improved Ability: Throwing Weapons, the Adept channels his magic to gain improved aim, and the increased ability to match his effort with his need. Therefore its effects are solely based on a personal level, and do not break the core phylosophy of the Adept.
Eyeless Blond
If you want a different analogy, think of mages as fish and adepts as lizards. Each has their own domain, their own area where their magic is useful. Fish breathe water; their domain is the sea. Lizards breathe air; their domain is the land. I don't begrudge the amphibians, who are bred to do both, but I do dislike the lizard deciding that he wants gills and suddenly getting them, just because it's "cool".

If I were more awake I'd probably venture on a different analogy, but do you see my point? Just because an adept is a hammer does not necessarily mean that every power in the world must suddenly become a nail to suit him. If Distance Strike were allowed I'd have a tough time rejecting the Sammie who wants to mod his cybereyes to see into the Astral, because hey, wouldn't that be cool?
GrinderTheTroll
I think it's more that the powers don't fit the "where adepts draw their power vs. what they can do with it" line of defining an adept.

Distance Strike and Delay Damage are the odd-ball powers as far as what you can do by honing your body, but still inline with SR IMO.
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 13 2004, 06:05 PM)
With Improved Ability: Throwing Weapons, the Adept channels his magic to gain improved aim, and the increased ability to match his effort with his need. Therefore its effects are solely based on a personal level, and do not break the core phylosophy of the Adept.

Exactly. So please explain how pushing a column of air really hard and accurately break the "core phylosophy of the Adept"?????

If I were more awake I'd probably venture on a different analogy, but do you see my point?

Yes, you probably should rethink the analogy because i think you just suggested getting rid of amphibians? wink.gif

Just because an adept is a hammer does not necessarily mean that every power in the world must suddenly become a nail to suit him. If Distance Strike were allowed I'd have a tough time rejecting the Sammie who wants to mod his cybereyes to see into the Astral, because hey, wouldn't that be cool?

I call foul. That is not even close to a fair comparison.
littlesean
There is one assumption that can be made that allows this to pretty much work.

Ki exists. And by existing, I don't mean it is an awakened thing, but that it is only magical because we haven't found a scientific means of explaining it.

Once that assumption is made, the projection of Ki over a short distance is no more nonsensical than the projection of spit over a short distance. Being able to do so with enough force to actually hurt someone requires extreme focus of that Ki so could easily be justified as an adept power.

That is how I see it, and for that matter, the whole group I game with sees it that way as well. I expect others to see my explanation as so much drek, and that is fine. Just take a moment to consider it first, then feel free to crap on it intelligently.
Ray Becker
QUOTE (littlesean)
There is one assumption that can be made that allows this to pretty much work.

Ki exists. And by existing, I don't mean it is an awakened thing, but that it is only magical because we haven't found a scientific means of explaining it.

Once that assumption is made, the projection of Ki over a short distance is no more nonsensical than the projection of spit over a short distance. Being able to do so with enough force to actually hurt someone requires extreme focus of that Ki so could easily be justified as an adept power.

That is how I see it, and for that matter, the whole group I game with sees it that way as well. I expect others to see my explanation as so much drek, and that is fine. Just take a moment to consider it first, then feel free to crap on it intelligently.

Thats how I see it anyways.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (littlesean)

I've always been taught Ki is energy as well as "intent" on what to do with that energy. When you generate some physical energy and directed it to a kick towards someone in front of you, they will react whether you hit them or not.

Now I don't believe that you can hit objects from a distance by focusing Ki, that's the "magical" side of martial arts that I leave to the mystics.

Since SR has abstracted and generalized this as "magic", you can interperate PhysAd as you please, but I see it fitting this type of description.
Bokujin
The whole Ki explanation works perfectly, as long as you don't get any munch's combining distance strike with silent delay damage. I know from a very technical rules-specific stance it's perfectly legit, but it just doesn't make sense in my mind.

Also, I think it's kind of dumb to be able to brush someone with your shoulder as you walk by, and have it rolled out to do 12D stun like a minute later.

But yes, anyway, I very much like the Ki explanation. Good show. You have the approval of a no-name loser, you should feel proud. nyahnyah.gif
Voran
I guess because I've come from a rpg background that included some romping through Palladium systems (Mystic China, Ninjas and Superspies, etc) they've had alot of different types of martial arts styles and 'character classes'. So when I play SR the stuff they do with adepts doesn't seem to far off to me.

Delay Damage is like the 'classic' Dim Mak (spelling?), an assassin lightly touches you, and you die later on. Distance strike, though not defined as the way it was in Palladium, reflected masters of the art who could kill you over the phone nyahnyah.gif (The power travelled over landlines, but wouldn't work over cellphones and the line) Wacky I know, I don't have my Palladium books handy or I'd try to explain it further.

Anyhoo, the way SR brings it in is probably (in my opinion) their way of allowing players to make mystic assassins if they really wanted to.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Bokujin)
Also, I think it's kind of dumb to be able to brush someone with your shoulder as you walk by, and have it rolled out to do 12D stun like a minute later.

I'm sure we've all heard of "the death touch" before, I am sure that's what this adpet power is based on. Again, using a more abstract and general view of Ki for SR, I suppose you could rationalize you are "building-up" magic that later releases and wounds the target. Again, I can see it in SR, but not RL without some medical backing.

From what I have been told, you can rupture the sweat glands under the armpit, that will effectively poison the target with a single, well placed strike. I can't recall the exact time until death but I think it was 2-3days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012